Old Man Groveler

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Been surfing dreadful waves this week: small (hip to chest high max), soft, short. The polar opposite to what I usually surf, and very challenging for an old, slow kook like me. A 20yo Florida ripper would probably take it apart.

Surfed my CC Wolverine, as I only brought one board, and while it glides well in shitty waves it doesn't have the get up and go to make them fun.

So what would both paddle really well and accelerate quickly? Bear in mind that I favour boards in the high 30s for garbage.

6'1 x 178 x 60yo.

Reactions: Havoc and JDJ

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
small (hip to chest high max), soft, short.

So what would both paddle really well and accelerate quickly? Bear in mind that I favour boards in the high 30s for garbage.
I can't relate to your personal stats, but I would say for small, soft short it absolutely does not need to paddle well - you must be very fit from all those long point and offshore bank paddles. Those waves are your opportunity to go shorter than your height by several inches, which from the "boards ridden" thread might put you out of your comfort zone, but it doesn't get any better than small, soft and short for getting in tune with that sort of boar.

As I get older I find that it takes longer for me to adjust to a different type of boar, so to make that worthwhile would need to regularly put in time on that sort of wave/boar.

Reactions: Maz

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
I hear you, J, but I'm not explosive fit, more like a diesel locomotive that can just paddle forever. It is, however, probably good for me to go shorter but keep some volume, maybe a beefed up version of my 5'10 Nugget

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I hear you, J, but I'm not explosive fit, more like a diesel locomotive that can just paddle forever. It is, however, probably good for me to go shorter but keep some volume, maybe a beefed up version of my 5'10 Nugget
AkilaAipa Contemporary Fish if you can get hold of one.
Gremlin does the trick (mine is swallowtail), maybe XL dims if you like. White Tiger supposedly even more grovel, but never tried.

Last edited:

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
I'm a big fan of the Hydrodynamica CyberSim for crappy waves. Wide a$$ tail and generous dimensions throughout make it a truly user friendly board even in the muck. Connects sections really well, too. Not for barrels, but good for slop IMO.

But it all depends upon what you prefer. If you're a CC Wolverine guy, either a traditional fish or the Long Fish might be the call.

Reactions: jkb and santacruzin

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
i can relate on all counts. if im wanting to keep it short(er than a mid) i grab a 6-0 quadfish dbl bump, single to spiral v

Mar 7, 2018
Maz look into this shape.
it is the best sub-chest height board i have found as a twin plus trailer, thruster and i even had fun when quaded.
and i hate quads.
plenty performance in the design.
mine was eps but had no eps downsides.
i just wish i didnt "outgrow" it in my forties.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Been surfing dreadful waves this week: small (hip to chest high max), soft, short. The polar opposite to what I usually surf, and very challenging for an old, slow kook like me. A 20yo Florida ripper would probably take it apart.

Surfed my CC Wolverine, as I only brought one board, and while it glides well in shitty waves it doesn't have the get up and go to make them fun.

6'1 x 178 x 60yo.
Same height, weight and age. Sunny coast has less power in the waves. Know you don’t do FireWires but my Chumlee that I bought for the price of a Carton of XXXX and a pack of Winnie blues is a blast.

Reactions: Maz

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Same height, weight and age. Sunny coast has less power in the waves. Know you don’t do FireWires but my Chumlee that I bought for the price of a Carton of XXXX and a pack of Winnie blues is a blast.
Today was just like a shitty 1-2ft day at Coolum :)
Would happily give a Chumlee a go, but have never seen one in NZ.

Reactions: Retropete and Mr J

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Today was just like a shitty 1-2ft day at Coolum :)
... .
Coolum webcam and arvo report for today. I would be out there if that's all there was on offer

Afternoon report: It's full and onshore with nothing to recommend. Save the energy.
2024-01-05 09:09:00: choppy 2ft ESE, Strong SSE, fine 2/10"

CoolumCam.jpg

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Retropete

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Only a longboard will get going in that mush.

Best board I ever rode for absolute junk/mush with no shape was a (maybe) 7'0 Local Motion shaped by Tony Cerff- probably off a windsurfing blank- wide square tail, 4 channels, semi-gun nose, single fin.
Probably made in the early 80's.

Thing trimmed out like a motherfcuker on the weakest piece of mush and was surprisingly loose off the outline curve.

Are we talking waves too weak to pump for speed on?

What sort of surfing do you want to do on it?

Reactions: urchined

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
The amount of retard level advice here never stops to not surprise. A 7' singlefin shaped off a windsurfing blank or a board made by a guy more into novel buttplugs than functional designs?!
:roflmao: :monkey:

Order a board from an established brand that's into making actual good boards. The Christenson hype train has already screwed you over once. A guy here has a few of them and only one board is working ok. The rest of them he coulda shaped himself to save the money. His last CC trainwreck was a bonzer that had him sliding out all over the place. He'll probably order a Wolverine to make up for the bonzer mishap :roflmao:

"Alternative crafts" are trash. Chopped off noses, janky outlines and random fin placement doesn't make a board any good. Only thing they got going is excess volume to hide the design flaws. I know all about it:alien:

Last edited:

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I'm 54 with bad shoulders. 6'1 and 195. I've got a 6'4 EPS Sharpeye Disco Cheater that is a great groveller. I could ride this board as a 6'2 or a 6'0 but got this one new off the rack for $250. Board works great in waist high garbage and have ridden it in some pretty solid surf too.

I also have a slightly longer regular Sharpeye Disco that is the same literage as the Cheater above and is PU that works better as the waves get bigger. That board is also really good in small garbage but you have to surf it more like the younger you than the Cheater. :LOL:

Last edited: