*** Official Surf City El Salvador Pro Contest Thread ***

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
How long til he just says fuggit? That kid has been the surf industry's bitch since he was like 5.

• Haha
Reactions: jkb

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Care to elaborate us on your thoughts? He has won the last 2 contests in a row. Plus the last comp, just prior to The Finals is at Chopes where he will be a serious contender.

I'll remind you that Adriano De Souza also won a title.

I find that the surfing Jack has found success with in competition is underwhelming, stiff, and incredibly boring to watch. And a bit overscored. He's surfing down and has the personality of a piece of driftwood.

I'm not a big fan of CT Robbo.

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
Anyone that's competed in a multi-round surfing event understands that what you do in the 3 to 23 hours between heats vastly determines how well you do in the contest. It's a marathon of sitting on your bum in the heat or the freezing cold trying to keep yourself focused on winning. Have you ever noticed how completely distracted a surfer becomes if someone gets a good ride during a live interview? It's probably a form of hypnosis that keeps the competitors in the game. At the moment Jack Robinson has figured out a way to win. Maybe he stole it from Kelly Slater.

• Haha
Reactions: MathDebater

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
I'll remind you that Adriano De Souza also won a title.

I find that the surfing Jack has found success with in competition is underwhelming, stiff, and incredibly boring to watch. And a bit overscored. He's surfing down and has the personality of a piece of driftwood.

I'm not a big fan of CT Robbo.
Maybe in contests...go watch the vid of him at Haleiwa with John John.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
If they get even a moderately pumping few days, it could be an epic contest.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
I’m more curious what the line up dynamic is like at Roca leading up to the contest. One of the more intense and competitive line ups I’ve surfed. The locals rule there with a heavy passion.

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
How’d the locals take that? They’re not the type to just lay down for anyone.
Back in the rougher, gang-managed days they would've burned the scaffolding down and hung Turpiel's body from the smoldering wreckage. It's a lil softer now . . . plus the gov't is in full support of surf tourism.

• Haha
Reactions: jkb and Subway