*** Official Surf City El Salvador Pro Contest Thread ***

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
First part hysterical and probably true. Second part also true and maybe tourism will indeed help dear little El Salvador finally find her footing. Such an epic little country

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
I've heard that showing up there with good camera equipment could be bad for your health. That you have to use the local photographers........or else.
dont believe everything you hear. there were 200 junior's competing there just a couple weeks ago. afaik no issues realting to violence.

the local photgraphers just show up and shoot - and then try and sell you photos after. 20-30 bucks for all your waves and video. really friendly guys actually and not a bad deal if you really want to see how bad youre surfing.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
When I was there 10 or so years ago, I had a feeling there was a reason, other than plant chopping, that guys were standing around most street corners with a machete and a watchtower near the beach that did not contain lifeguards but a guy with a rifle. The machete guys were one thing, but the full-on tactical unit w/ automatic weapons in unmarked cars who jumped out of their vehicle while I was sucking down a papusa raised some concern.
Waves were fun, and locals were cool if you gave them first pick.

537639_4052138179631_1298876890_n.jpg181873_4052145419812_299289631_n.jpg

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Attaboy wokie!

If you see the guys with the guns enough you kinda get used to it. Kinda. Sorta. Good that they’re working their way out of that.

Unfortunately it looks like they’ll be subwayed for the next few days by a weather system forming down there.

Reactions: Woke AF

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
there is/was a big banner at the entrance to Playa El Cuco said that if you are a gang member, you will be shot on sight, no questions asked. Seemed to work pretty well, as did the copious number of uniformed guys and gals hanging around with old M-16's.

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
I've heard that showing up there with good camera equipment could be bad for your health. That you have to use the local photographers........or else.
It just might not be your equipment for long . . .

theramrod

Nep status
Nov 14, 2014
N Cackalaki
Good riddance...I hope the WSL goes under
I'm curious why that is? Even though I bitch about certain commentators and dog on a certain surfers stinkbug style I enjoy getting free content of some of the best surfers in the world on occasionally the best waves in the world.

I can understand you wanting to see the demise of the WSL if you lived on the North Shore or another tour stop and your homebreak was invaded every year. That's not a concern at all for the mediocre waves I call home so I enjoy following the tour.

Reactions: Chile Verde

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
I'm curious why that is? Even though I bitch about certain commentators and dog on a certain surfers stinkbug style I enjoy getting free content of some of the best surfers in the world on occasionally the best waves in the world.

I can understand you wanting to see the demise of the WSL if you lived on the North Shore or another tour stop and your homebreak was invaded every year. That's not a concern at all for the mediocre waves I call home so I enjoy following the tour.
Because I hate how popular and corny surfing has gotten...the WSL is doing all it can to spread this NO MATTER what (in my opinion). If I want to see the best surfers in the world on the best waves in the world I'll watch the vids and youtube. Let's face it, the tour doesn't care about getting the best waves anymore.

It's a grift to make money and sell a lifestyle to the masses on wavestorms and instagram for ad rev. and sponsorship deals.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal

The intent of the WSL is a marketing vehicle. That means promoting surfing, which means getting more people to surf -do I need to go on? More people surfing even in mediocre waves is bad.
This is kindergarden erbb material.
B A D not good WRONG