*** Official South Bay Thread ***

spenat

Nep status
Feb 11, 2008
Brooklyn- Manhattan beach
Worst summer ever in the South Bay? Any other South Bayers have an opinion?

It seems the winter swells dug a deep trench and anything less than head high (at minus low tide) does not break until it reaches the shorepound. I've only surfed twice this month and only four times in July. I could drive an hour north to surf waist high Malibu with 75 of my best friends, or drive an hour south to surf waist high, crumbly Huntington...but I don't. I can't really call myself a surfer anymore.

:(....:mad:

yup, its amazing how terrible it has been

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Whew! Glad Mickey's isn't gone. You could collect Bubble Up bottles and turn them in at Mickey's and get a Meatball sandwich after one was done surfing. I lived a block away at the Frat House on the Strand. A couple of large Pizza's from Mickey's and a gallon jug of Red Mountain wine were always a starter for a Toga Party! :beer: :dancing:

May 6, 2008
Orange Curtain CA
Whew! Glad Mickey's isn't gone. You could collect Bubble Up bottles and turn them in at Mickey's and get a Meatball sandwich after one was done surfing. I lived a block away at the Frat House on the Strand. A couple of large Pizza's from Mickey's and a gallon jug of Red Mountain wine were always a starter for a Toga Party! :beer: :dancing:
Holy crap first time I ever got drunk was on my Dads Red Mountain Vin Rose' topped with Fresca (!) day before I started senior year in HS (with his blessing). First bad hangover next day too.
West

• Haha
Reactions: PPK96754

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Worst summer ever in the South Bay? Any other South Bayers have an opinion?

It seems the winter swells dug a deep trench and anything less than head high (at minus low tide) does not break until it reaches the shorepound. I've only surfed twice this month and only four times in July. I could drive an hour north to surf waist high Malibu with 75 of my best friends, or drive an hour south to surf waist high, crumbly Huntington...but I don't. I can't really call myself a surfer anymore.

:(....:mad:
yup, its amazing how terrible it has been

Wow, you guys weren't kidding.

Drove out in the morning drizzle to check spots from Redondo to El Porto, hoping a spot with some structure like the Topaz St. Jetty or one of the Piers would produce something even slightly interesting. Nothing I saw made me want to get in the water with anything other than a Bodyboard (which I didn't have with me).:bricks:

Redondo-Topaz.St.jpg
Redondo.Jetty.jpg

Looking south towards Palos Verdes with Lunada Bay just around the point. You could see Catalina later in the day as the weather cleared out.
Redondo.Palos-Verdes.jpg

Looking south at Hermosa Beach Pier...
Hermosa Pier North.jpgHermosa 30th Street.jpg

Liked this one... at least shoulder high when it threw and would knock you down for sure. Just right onto the sand.
Hermosa Beach Shorepound.jpg

Classic LA shot here with a bicyclist along the strand in the foreground, a volleyball game, a beachgoer, a lone surfer, and ships in the bay...
Manhattan Beach.jpg

A couple of packs out furthest north of Manhattan Beach Pier and El Porto, but from what I stuck around to watch, no one was getting anything good, and mostly just getting chucked by the shore pound surge.

Great sunsets from our friends house... Until next time friends.
Hermosa Sunset.jpg

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

Drove out in the morning drizzle to check spots from Redondo to El Porto, hoping a spot with some structure like the Topaz St. Jetty or one of the Piers would produce something even slightly interesting. Nothing I saw made me want to get in the water with anything other than a Bodyboard (which I didn't have with me).:bricks:

View attachment 162241
View attachment 162242

Looking south towards Palos Verdes with Lunada Bay just around the point. You could see Catalina later in the day as the weather cleared out.
View attachment 162243

View attachment 162244View attachment 162245

Liked this one... at least shoulder high when it threw and would knock you down for sure. Just right onto the sand.
View attachment 162246

Classic LA shot here with a bicyclist along the strand in the foreground, a volleyball game, a beachgoer, a lone surfer, and ships in the bay...
View attachment 162247

A couple of packs out furthest north of Manhattan Beach Pier and El Porto, but from what I stuck around to watch, no one was getting anything good, and mostly just getting chucked by the shore pound surge.

View attachment 162248
It's been like this since the end of June...:cursing:

There was one wind swell for two days in July that was fun if you caught it at low tide. And that's it. Just shorepound.

buttholesurfer

Duke status
Dec 20, 2002
RatBeach

View attachment 162241
View attachment 162242

View attachment 162243

View attachment 162244View attachment 162245

View attachment 162246

View attachment 162247

View attachment 162248
Some good picz man! :cheers:

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
It's been like this since the end of June...:cursing:

There was one wind swell for two days in July that was fun if you caught it at low tide. And that's it. Just shorepound.
It sucks. You can tell by the pics that there was some swell in the water too. Some lumps out the back were significant but just rolled and rolled and rolled... :foreheadslap:

Some areas of San Diego get like this too where a slope starts building up, an entire area becomes backwash affected, and then you have a shorebreak spot for awhile. North Carlsbad was like this a few summers ago. Not sure if it's corrected itself.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
It sucks. You can tell by the pics that there was some swell in the water too. Some lumps out the back were significant but just rolled and rolled and rolled... :foreheadslap:

Some areas of San Diego get like this too where a slope starts building up, an entire area becomes backwash affected, and then you have a shorebreak spot for awhile. North Carlsbad was like this a few summers ago. Not sure if it's corrected itself.
Exactly. A lot of days I'd be driving down and see "lines." Yeah baby! Today it's on! And then get down to the beach and watch the lines feel the outside bar but not break and then just pound. "It should be breaking." :(