*** Official Snow Surfing Thread ***

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I have three trips to Mammoth planned in the next 6 weeks. I don't need much to have fun, just groomers for me. Stoked. Looking forward to trying the Cafe Racer out... And yes, I'll likely be adjusting the angles.
Surf goofy, skate regular, foil goofy, snowboard regular, right handed, left eye dominant. So weird.

View attachment 170692
Good looking set up. Stocked. I’m a big fan of being able to enjoy groomer cruising, along with believing whole heartedly in the importance of practicing your tech on them and the payoff later when your free riding and pow slaughtering.

XVs stance/angle wisdom has served me well for all around free riding and pow slashing. He’s right about too much forward angle on the back foot robbing power, and I go another click forward on the front foot bc it’s easier on that knee resulting in a potentially narrowed but centered stance with 21deg fwd on the front and 6/9deg fwd on the back.

Reactions: tenover

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Yeah, gotta set up bindings on my new board for tomorrow's inaugural session. Have experimented around even to the point of duckfoot/detuned edges for springtime fun but yeah, 12-15 degrees on front foot and 6-9 or so on the back. Stocked on having new board for first time in over 12 years - will see how the extra spring in it eases the ol' back quad pain. Only running 4 miles today so no excuses! :monkey:

Reactions: Iceman

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Yeah, gotta set up bindings on my new board for tomorrow's inaugural session. Have experimented around even to the point of duckfoot/detuned edges for springtime fun but yeah, 12-15 degrees on front foot and 6-9 or so on the back. Stocked on having new board for first time in over 12 years - will see how the extra spring in it eases the ol' back quad pain. Only running 4 miles today so no excuses! :monkey:
Ive learned to try and use the reference stance when possible and when I can’t bc I prefer narrower I adjust both bindings inward equally so everything stays the same with regards to the reference stance/center of the board. If Im really feeling carvy Ill rock 21 and 12 deg fwd angles respectively.

As far as boards go, 12 years??? Any modern setup would be a huge difference , when you click with what you got going on now…
1705600692987.gif

Reactions: oeste858

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Apologies if this has already been posted. Man they did not have this kinda stuff when I was young.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
As far as boards go, 12 years??? Any modern setup would be a huge difference , when you click with what you got going on now…
View attachment 170786
If memory serves Kento has hated every surfboard he's ridden with design elements newer than those that were in vogue during AI's title runs.

Imagine Kento winding up with some very short rocker board on wind/sun/crowd scrape, skidding the whole way down, walking back into the shop, and telling whoever sold him the board that it didn't cut an edge into the hardpack but he's about to see how it does with jugular/spinal cord, then swinging for the fences.

• Haha
Reactions: Kento

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal
Good looking set up. Stocked. I’m a big fan of being able to enjoy groomer cruising, along with believing whole heartedly in the importance of practicing your tech on them and the payoff later when your free riding and pow slaughtering.

XVs stance/angle wisdom has served me well for all around free riding and pow slashing. He’s right about too much forward angle on the back foot robbing power, and I go another click forward on the front foot bc it’s easier on that knee resulting in a potentially narrowed but centered stance with 21deg fwd on the front and 6/9deg fwd on the back.

Stay positive!
I'm running +21 front +15 rear
Makes it so quick and easy edge-to-edge it's ridiculous. Never thought about the rear angle robbing power on the heelside, but it seems to be working out just fine!

Reactions: Chocki and SpudBoy

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
If memory serves Kento has hated every surfboard he's ridden with design elements newer than those that were in vogue during AI's title runs.

Imagine Kento winding up with some very short rocker board on wind/sun/crowd scrape, skidding the whole way down, walking back into the shop, and telling whoever sold him the board that it didn't cut an edge into the hardpack but he's about to see how it does with jugular/spinal cord, then swinging for the fences.
Now now I just have an abhorrence towards boards with rails so thick they're corkier than GromsDad's fork. That isn't a design element.

We will not talk about my one and only experience with a Nitro board - it did inspire that Witch King flail scene, though. So pluses and minuses (no royalties).

Trying to hold long radius turns at speed without chatter in all types of terrain with that old Gnu was a quad burner to say the least. Will keep that as a rock board of course but yeah, very curious how that board performs. sh!t, also just realized I never got a stomp pad for that new board... :crazy2: :roflmao:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Stay positive!
I'm running +21 front +15 rear
Makes it so quick and easy edge-to-edge it's ridiculous. Never thought about the rear angle robbing power on the heelside, but it seems to be working out just fine!
I just rewatched the xv vid and he says too much forward angle on either binding can hurt your heelside and I specifically remember a day free riding where at least on the back foot I was all like yeah I see what he’s talking bout and dialed it back.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I just rewatched the xv vid and he says too much forward angle on either binding can hurt your heelside and I specifically remember a day free riding where at least on the back foot I was all like yeah I see what he’s talking bout and dialed it back.
Such a good time to fuck with Sharkbiscuit by saying if 12/6 was good enough for Terje, it is good enough for me. :monkey:

Reactions: bruhdakine

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015

I like Xavier's videos too. Lots of good advice.

And for the record, +15 / -3 myself. Have tried up to +18 / -6. Riding switch hurts my brain, so though I may flip around at low speed to handle a given section, I have no real reason to have my back foot ducked out too much.

jory

OTF status
Aug 13, 2006
UK
Visit site
Heading out to St Foy in the French alps on Saturday for a “backcountry course” with a friend who owns a little guiding company.

It’s been snowing there all week so should be 6 days of short hikes to plentiful pow turns.

Very excited!

Pics to follow!

Ps love to hear how the dart goes - increasingly tempted by Korua

Pps been from +/+ in ski boots to duck and back over the years. Fashions and technique have changed so much!

Think I’m around plus 15-18 / plus 3 at the moment, little narrower stance than a few years ago. My knees don’t like too much positive back foot but a little definitely helps rail carves.

Leonardo

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 10, 2020
Heading out to St Foy in the French alps on Saturday for a “backcountry course” with a friend who owns a little guiding company.

It’s been snowing there all week so should be 6 days of short hikes to plentiful pow turns.

Very excited!

Pics to follow!

Ps love to hear how the dart goes - increasingly tempted by Korua

Pps been from +/+ in ski boots to duck and back over the years. Fashions and technique have changed so much!

Think I’m around plus 15-18 / plus 3 at the moment, little narrower stance than a few years ago. My knees don’t like too much positive back foot but a little definitely helps rail carves.
I’m same situation braddah. Posi posi nowadays. 15 and 6, sometimes a little more. Narrow stance if its good snow. A little wider if it sucks and i need more stability.
one month to go to revelstoke
Oh and also tempted to get a korua as soon as i get to vancouver. Already got a hovercraft so I might just get an otto. Transition finder maybe? I dunno I dunno.

Oct 15, 2015
+24/+6, narrowish stance on a moss pq54, now drive bindings. took some time to get used to, hard to go back. very different, surfy feeling and fun on groomers, slush and pow. i'll ride +18/0 on a jones ultramountain twin occasionally.

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
For posi/posi stance width, what would you guys suggest for an intermediate snowboarder on groomers in semi-decent snow? Going by what I've read/watched, your "optimal" stance width *should* be the same as the distance between the ground and your kneecap....?

jory

OTF status
Aug 13, 2006
UK
Visit site
+24/+6, narrowish stance on a moss pq54, now drive bindings. took some time to get used to, hard to go back. very different, surfy feeling and fun on groomers, slush and pow. i'll ride +18/0 on a jones ultramountain twin occasionally.
oh yeah. Now bindings. Can’t say enough good things! I really like the feel and I do feel like you get more edge pressure.

Reactions: bruhdakine

jory

OTF status
Aug 13, 2006
UK
Visit site
For posi/posi stance width, what would you guys suggest for an intermediate snowboarder on groomers in semi-decent snow? Going by what I've read/watched, your "optimal" stance width *should* be the same as the distance between the ground and your kneecap....?
personally I’d just put a mellow posi / posi angle on your board at your current width and ride it with a tool
In your pocket so you can experiment.

I think stance width is more about a feel than a calculation and also depends on what yoUre riding

the English YouTube guy linked above ( Michael. Something ) has some really good technique videos to watch about types of turn and edge control. He explains carving well I think

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Your optimal stance witch is what works for you, your riding style, and your boar (centered re. reference stance) and with directional boards reference stance is where you want to start. I jusy measured mine at 52cm

and MM is the man when it comes to learning

Last edited: