*** Official Snow Surfing Thread ***

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Sick. Austen Sweetin also killed this line.
I think I remember being really impressed by him during last winter’s Natty comp and am looking forward to this year’s.

This cat from Japan is my favorite rider rn. I just wish there was more footy of him especially big mtn bc he’s got the dankest style and turns

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
You dont hear much about mammoth from east coast skiers, maybe because it's a pain in the ass to get to from here. Toying with the idea of a visit in FEB, with a friend (very competent) and our wives (beginners). I know it's a low snow year but not really a huge concern. Powder days aside what are the crowds like during the week? Also, flights into Bishop airport are fucked in terms of cost and time, how's the drive up from Vegas?
I can tell you this you would not regret it for the extra effort it takes. The wives could spend all day in the Canyon Lodge Schoolyard area and the Eagle Express areas and be so happy. Long beginner runs and can even flirt with the glades off the sides of them easy.

The lift access at Mammoth is as good as it gets, You can get all over the mountain without ever having to work very hard to get from one zone to the next. Its a great beginner mountain and a great expert mountain where you can keep all skill levels together most of the time.

Never flown in or drove there from anywhere by San Diego / LA.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I can tell you this you would not regret it for the extra effort it takes. The wives could spend all day in the Canyon Lodge Schoolyard area and the Eagle Express areas and be so happy. Long beginner runs and can even flirt with the glades off the sides of them easy.

The lift access at Mammoth is as good as it gets, You can get all over the mountain without ever having to work very hard to get from one zone to the next. Its a great beginner mountain and a great expert mountain where you can keep all skill levels together most of the time.

I went once and all I remember was how fucking big it was. Literally mammoth. We were at the top and were all like, ok time to bail and then it took a couple hours to get down to our wheels

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Don't go to vegas. Check flights directly to mammoth or check flights into ontario. It's a 4 hour (approx) drive but I imagine flights will be way less.

Mammoth has something for everyone so I wouldn't worry about keeping everyone happy. Mid week crowds are pretty light.

But honestly, depending on cost and snow conditions if you're fliying from the east coast I would check out colorado or utah as well.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Don't go to vegas. Check flights directly to mammoth or check flights into ontario. It's a 4 hour (approx) drive but I imagine flights will be way less.

Mammoth has something for everyone so I wouldn't worry about keeping everyone happy. Mid week crowds are pretty light.

But honestly, depending on cost and snow conditions if you're fliying from the east coast I would check out colorado or utah as well.
Lift tickets at Deer Valley Utah $300/day. :drowning:

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006

Just don't go on a weekend.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Lift tickets at Deer Valley Utah $300/day. :drowning:
Deer Valley is a skier-only zone serving people who can't Alta. It's for some dentist to eat sh!t in front of Gwyneth Paltrow's Goop ass who is unable to avoid the yard sale to then become celebrity civil trial daytime TV fodder or some sh!t. If you are a tennis coach looking for a ski vacation where you can f--k trophy wives looking for a fling to liven up the weekly fucking of their tennis coach it's probably cash money though?

IMHO Colorado is the snow equivalent of Southern California for surfing. The conditions are great (for groomers) and there's lots of options but it seems like basically everywhere else gets more snow.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Deer Valley is a skier-only zone serving people who can't Alta. It's for some dentist to eat sh!t in front of Gwyneth Paltrow's Goop ass who is unable to avoid the yard sale to then become celebrity civil trial daytime TV fodder or some sh!t. If you are a tennis coach looking for a ski vacation where you can f--k trophy wives looking for a fling to liven up the weekly fucking of their tennis coach it's probably cash money though?

IMHO Colorado is the snow equivalent of Southern California for surfing. The conditions are great (for groomers) and there's lots of options but it seems like basically everywhere else gets more snow.
He’s 75, wife is 70 adjacent. How many 75 year oldsters do you know that ski and surf with some level of competence?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
He’s 75, wife is 70 adjacent. How many 75 year oldsters do you know that ski and surf with some level of competence?
I live in Florida, so slim pickin's on the ski/snowboard front, but one time I was having lunch at Targhee and some very nice retiree people invited me to snag their table's empty seat. Turns out they were from Fernandina. The dude was in his 70s and still getting it.

My buddy's mom who used to take us surfing all the time when we were groms is in her early 70s and resolutely refusing to ride a longboard, still surfing regularly. She doesn't like surfing Indian River County's shorebreak with her too-lazy-to-drive-15-minutes son, and she won't be paddling out 3xOH OBSF or even entering water under 60 degrees anytime soon. But she hooked up the ride to Spaniel Hoss for Betha Thursday 1996 which might have been the single most epic day, or on the very short list, for Southern Brevard County, and she packed some bowls that day.

I distinctly remember standing on the beach with her and her son at Sebastian with my hair wanting to stand up and bait pods blowing up during a late summer thunderstorm/feeding frenzy, meanwhile she's eyeballing the shoulder-to-shoulder crowd and delegating sectors to me and him to look for a pack of kooks to paddle out into so we school instead of getting schooled for wave count.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Lets face it. The shopping sucks in Mammoth. Great Ski Area… not a great ski town
Anyone who goes to a ski area for the sole purpose of shopping is an asshole. But at least their parking spot frees up a spot in the lift line. :monkey: