*** Official Snow Surfing Thread ***

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
Its funny listening to guys who think a waiver will somehow beat the forces of litigation of an inbound participant. This is America. Not anywhere else. Here we sue your pants off. “ You made us sign a waiver so you knew of the inherent risk.

Ski Patrol has a responsibility. To make sure you ski safely. You ski inbounds? You ski something with a name? Sorry but you are not Core enuff Bruh.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
just got done talking with my IRL source for information on all things avy related

he was quick to say that there was not enough info out yet to have any sort of legitimate opinion on this event yet

but when i pushed him to speculate, his musings sounded more kentonian than chockish

:shrug:
my IRL source is no longer on the bubble and is now fully chockish with respect to this event

super unfortunate and sad but sh!t happens

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
Assuming other resorts in the west are like up here in the PNW. Weeks of weak snow totals and lots of rain with a constant freeze / thaw cycle that created basically layer on layer of sheet ice Then boom, an inch an hour for days on end with extreme wind loading. It all adds up to extreme avy danger. Luckily for us flatchelor is so un-steep on the lower half of the mountain and the weather is so extreme right now we can't get up to anywhere that could possibly slide while inbounds. Backcountry is a totally different story. Stay safe eveyrone.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
great shot. you can see where patrol cut right across the line where the slab broke.
Crazy how much snow fills in those pockets on there. Much deeper than immediately surrounding area. Probably several feet deep between the two big rocks on right side of photo.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I think a lot of my tolerance for assumption of risk comes from remembering all those sketchy af rides on chairlifts as a kid with no safety bars, and just free ranging solo on various mtns as a youth.

All I know about avalanches is that they ultimately can make no sense in terms of what can slide when why and how. I learned this from reading the online incident reports.

“While snow safety and avalanche mitigation efforts help reduce the risk of avalanches, avalanches and snow slides may occur at ski areas, both inside and outside of the posted boundaries. Avalanches are an inherent risk of the sport due to the nature of snow and its application on steep, mountainous terrain. Become educated on how to reduce the risk of injury or death from avalanches through your own actions and awareness.“

For more information on avalanche safety and education, visit your local library

Reactions: Kento and tenover

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Assuming other resorts in the west are like up here in the PNW. Weeks of weak snow totals and lots of rain with a constant freeze / thaw cycle that created basically layer on layer of sheet ice Then boom, an inch an hour for days on end with extreme wind loading. It all adds up to extreme avy danger. Luckily for us flatchelor is so un-steep on the lower half of the mountain and the weather is so extreme right now we can't get up to anywhere that could possibly slide while inbounds. Backcountry is a totally different story. Stay safe eveyrone.
Reading this now. It goes heavy into all the techniques used to guess the snowpack, and yes he readily admits its always a guess as it's not total science, or at least we don't have it down to a complete science yet.

Lots of super heavy experiences which lead into his advice. I will likely never ride in the Backcountry and never have, but I'm enjoying it. You could take many of the techniques out and apply in your daily travels and at the resorts.

Reactions: bruhdakine

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal
Fun powder day at Kirkwood yesterday. They missed out on the full dump of the storm, but it was deep enough. Only had a half day to play with, so hit it hard all morning on the frontside, did some hiking, and had pretty much "as good as it gets" turns. Super stoked.
Also wore my beacon.

Reactions: Leonardo

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Season opener for me today and a fun one at that. Been a sh!t storm of problems and luckily, I guess, they got the lift going around 9:45 powerd by a desil chugging generator. 1st run down the gut of the bowl..... thought it'd be much deeper, but was pretty wind packed and came in a bit to hot thinking so. Wobbled and bobbled through the top almost going overboard. Light was flat and surface uneven, but eventually found my rails and pulled into the white room a few times. Creamy, but certainly not choke deep. Blizzard hype had me thing otherwise and all and all seemed like hype as it was pretty much a standard 8" storm riding day on WY'East. Guess I need to look at the data. We did find some deep lines in the trees and was cool to be back in those zones. Rode with a crew that's all had some days and legs under them and held up well. Boots were bothering me in ways I don't seem to remember last season and back of knee had some weird pain. Hopefully just just getting the 1st day of the year kinks out.

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
You dont hear much about mammoth from east coast skiers, maybe because it's a pain in the ass to get to from here. Toying with the idea of a visit in FEB, with a friend (very competent) and our wives (beginners). I know it's a low snow year but not really a huge concern. Powder days aside what are the crowds like during the week? Also, flights into Bishop airport are fucked in terms of cost and time, how's the drive up from Vegas?

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Reading this now. It goes heavy into all the techniques used to guess the snowpack, and yes he readily admits its always a guess as it's not total science, or at least we don't have it down to a complete science yet.

Lots of super heavy experiences which lead into his advice. I will likely never ride in the Backcountry and never have, but I'm enjoying it. You could take many of the techniques out and apply in your daily travels and at the resorts.

Konwledge is power.
This is what I’d recommend to anyone who’s into riding steep and deep terrain, even if you get there via a magical flying couch. Tha or his other book, the ABCs.
1705178366113.jpeg

Full kit, which I will be bringing on pow days bc it’s prudent and it’s not that big a deal to ride with. They make the FWT riders have it and they seem to do fine. https://www.freerideworldtour.com/safety/

Ngl considering recent events and the fact that danger is my business along with my middle name, I’ve been looking at Mammut avy airbag packs. Be nice to know if you ever did take the ride you got that handle to pull.

Can’t get much smaller than the Recon LT, Allugator Pro Ho and that probe while still remaining functional. Legit handle and Ho are kinda the mandatory amongst the cool kids now.

IMG_0509.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: crustBrother

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
You dont hear much about mammoth from east coast skiers, maybe because it's a pain in the ass to get to from here. Toying with the idea of a visit in FEB, with a friend (very competent) and our wives (beginners). I know it's a low snow year but not really a huge concern. Powder days aside what are the crowds like during the week? Also, flights into Bishop airport are fucked in terms of cost and time, how's the drive up from Vegas?
Pretty straight forward. No traffic. Start out into the desert. 160. Lotsa cops. Turn left on 95. Watch your speed around Area 51. Get to Beatty and turn right. Grab an Ice Cream. Watch out for Wild Asses. Goldfield is a trip. Turn left at Tonapah towards Bishop. Clown Motel. Dont try to short cut through Big Pine this time of year. Its a much more enjoyable ride than from LA and about the same time.