*** Official Snow Surfing Thread ***

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Well you can never be sure the mountain will not unload but wind + new snow = plenty danger. Patrol gotta be on it with avy control.

Reactions: Kento

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Theyre mountains not theme parks bro.

Nah man, it's like mushrooms, if you're not 100% sure, you don't eat them. Same deal - you don't open it.

Otherwise, what's the difference when it comes to ducking ropes anywhere inbounds on the ski area, right?

• Dislike
Reactions: Leonardo

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Nah man, it's like mushrooms, if you're not 100% sure, you don't eat them. Same deal - you don't open it.

Otherwise, what's the difference when it comes to ducking ropes anywhere inbounds on the ski area, right?
If they wanted to be 100% sure they wouldn’t let you ski/ride anything that wasn’t groomed.

Avalanche control = hazard mitigation not elimination imo always has and always will. They do their best but nobody is perfect and it doesn’t help that when they keep stuff closed until the storm is over and that coincides with the weekend there’s a bunch of whiny bitches saying nice job saving the pow for the tourists ski patrol.

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
If they wanted to be 100% sure they wouldn’t let you ski/ride anything that wasn’t groomed.

Avalanche control = hazard mitigation not elimination imo always has and always will. They do their best but nobody is perfect and it doesn’t help that when they keep stuff closed until the storm is over and that coincides with the weekend there’s a bunch of whiny bitches saying nice job saving the pow for the tourists ski patrol.
The Ski Patrol puts nobody in danger for Fresh Pow. They get all they want and have no interest and stoking out the visitors its not their job and conceivably could make things very bad for themselves.

Reactions: Chocki

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar

1704950961241.png

Leonardo

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 10, 2020

Sorry to tell you this, but that is not how it works. Not gonna be 100% safe, be it in or out of bounds.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Sorry to tell you this, but that is not how it works. Not gonna be 100% safe, be it in or out of bounds.
I am aware that avalanches happen in bounds, hence the run at Alpine called "Chute that Seldom Slides". Wipeout at Mammoth is also notorious for small slides (although they usually close it when iffy). Relatively mainstream runs like the GS run at Squaw. I'm also aware that shareholder $$$$ demands also result in cost-cutting here and there to get as many people on the mountain as possible and that shell game here resulted in tragic results.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
I'm also aware that shareholder $$$$ demands also result in cost-cutting here and there to get as many people on the mountain as possible and that shell game here resulted in tragic results.
i'm open to the possibility that the profit motive was a factor in this, but also open to the possibility that is was not

sometimes its as simple as "sh!t happens". we had a small inbounds slide that partially buried a skier last year on my hill and i'm very confident it was 100% because mother nature is just a bitch sometimes in spite of all the flowers we buy her.

either way, i feel terrible for the family of the deceased and the patrollers that made the call to open. those guys are probably pretty fucked in the head right about now.

TheEl

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 31, 2010
You sign a waiver when you buy your pass or lift ticket that says you know the risk involved. I doubt the patrollers allow themselves to be pressured from mountain staff to open terrain that they deem to be dangerous. Its more an act of nature(or higher power) rather than ski patrols negligence. Either way, there are no guarantees of safety. If thats what you want then go play bingo at a nursing home and cry about it when you get a paper cut.

Reactions: Leonardo and Chocki

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
I am aware that avalanches happen in bounds, hence the run at Alpine called "Chute that Seldom Slides". Wipeout at Mammoth is also notorious for small slides (although they usually close it when iffy). Relatively mainstream runs like the GS run at Squaw. I'm also aware that shareholder $$$$ demands also result in cost-cutting here and there to get as many people on the mountain as possible and that shell game here resulted in tragic results.
They arent opening 2 at Mammoth yet. Blowing a bit off the top of the world. After what happened yesterday its gonna be slow going

Btw you one aware mofo Kento! Leonardo is a kook!

• Haha

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
You sign a waiver when you buy your pass or lift ticket that says you know the risk involved. I doubt the patrollers allow themselves to be pressured from mountain staff to open terrain that they deem to be dangerous. Its more an act of nature(or higher power) rather than ski patrols negligence. Either way, there are no guarantees of safety. If thats what you want then go play bingo at a nursing home and cry about it when you get a paper cut.
Ski Patrol has the final say and they will shut the whole mtn down they want fuck all!

Reactions: TheEl

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
i'm open to the possibility that the profit motive was a factor in this, but also open to the possibility that is was not

sometimes its as simple as "sh!t happens". we had a small inbounds slide that partially buried a skier last year on my hill and i'm very confident it was 100% because mother nature is just a bitch sometimes in spite of all the flowers we buy her.

either way, i feel terrible for the family of the deceased and the patrollers that made the call to open. those guys are probably pretty fucked in the head right about now.
Nobody has more respect for Ski Patrol and the job they do and I let them know every chance I get. As if their jobs aren’t hard enough especially in a situation like this, there’s the comments from the peanut gallery after the fact about what they should or shouldn’t have done to deal with.

When you ride expert terrain especially in search of pow, danger is your business whether you like it or not.

Was gonna do this anyway soon but just checked to see if my Mammut Shovel/Pro Ho was subject to the recall, it wasn’t. Found a fresh new battery for the beeper, the old one was removed when I got home from riding last day. Found the beeper app on my phone so when it gets a battery I’ll check for updates. Found the probe. Found this bc I’m self trained and this what you need to know/do when sh!t gets real. Making sure EVERYONE has turned their beepers from send to search is mega important. I’ve read rescue reports where failure to do so has resulted in initial clusterfucks.

Last edited:

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
just got done talking with my IRL source for information on all things avy related

he was quick to say that there was not enough info out yet to have any sort of legitimate opinion on this event yet

but when i pushed him to speculate, his musings sounded more kentonian than chockish

:shrug:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Squaw be like "P2 and P3 look fine!"

As far as waivers, yeah, that's for basic terrain, cliffs, trees, fog. Mechanical issues with lifts, waiver definitely doesn't apply to that. Avalanches, I admit, kind of a gray area in between but the whole point about riding that terrain in bounds vs. backcountry is that you pay that fee to rely on the fact that yes, lifts take you there without falling out of the sky, and that terrain open for goods is not going to slide. If they open Paranoids, no, I do not expect it to slide like the above. Naughty sluff yes, slab avalanche no.

just got done talking with my IRL source for information on all things avy related

he was quick to say that there was not enough info out yet to have any sort of legitimate opinion on this event yet

but when i pushed him to speculate, his musings sounded more kentonian than chockish

:shrug:
2 major incidents in 3 years is not a coincidence. Especially with nothing major of note (correct me if wrong) since 1982 and mountain was closed that day.

Now the other side of this is of course to bring a lighter and a pack of M-80s to do your own personal avalanche control:

(so ridiculous but Jeremy Jones killed it pretty hard in those days)