*** Official Shark Thread ***

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
So years ago I was snorkeling with a friend off the coast at a certain reef and a Leopard shark cruises by and I swam down and reached out and touched his tail. He swam off. My buddy tells me later that he knew a guy who grabbed a Leopard shark's tail like that and the shark turned around and bit him in the hand, shredded a finger which is now a stump.
Here's my story- we were on the Hermosa Beach Pier. On one of the fish cleaning tables was a fair sized thresher shark, about 4-5 feet, plus the tail which was another 4 feet. My buddy starts poking its side. He does it a few times, pushing his finger into it robustly to ensure it was dead. Then he goes, "Hey guys, check this out." He proceeds to grab the snout and open its mouth, at which point the shark starts thrashing and snapping its jaws. Luckily my freind got his hand out of the way. It could have been ugly.

• Wow
Reactions: Boneroni

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
What's up with that shark attack near San Antonio?

That looks like a loooong ass way up a river. Bull shark, I'm assuming?

I bet that dude was surprised.
I remember a video that recounted when shark researchers were following an electronic tracking device and were amazed when the shark (great white) seemed to be swimming up the Ballona Creek. They got really excited. NO great white had ever been observed going up a fresh water stream.

But then the shark continued on to Dodger Stadium. :roflmao:

Later they found out a tourist found the tracking device on the beach and had no idea what is was, and put it in their back pack.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003

ENCINITAS, Calif. — A surfer was bumped by a shark Wednesday evening in Encinitas but got away with only a torn wetsuit and a puncture wound from a nearby stingray, according to authorities and a woman claiming to be the boy’s mother.
The encounter happened around 5:50 p.m. just south of Moonlight Beach, according to Encinitas Fire Department.
RELATED CONTENT
The woman told FOX 5 that a shark and a stingray were circling her 16-year-old son. That’s when the boy accidentally kicked at the shark, according to the woman and Encinitas Lifeguard Captain Larry Giles. A stingray then punctured the boy’s right ankle, the woman said.
Medics took the man to Scripps Memorial Hospital Encinitas to be treated for minor injuries, authorities said.
Lifeguards posted signs warning beachgoers of the shark sighting, advising them to enter at their own risk.

1659474508650.png1659474526427.png1659474561902.png

• Haha
Reactions: rowjimmytour

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Here's a little video I made of my trip to Isla Guadalupe last year. Headed back down there this September for trip #10. Stoked.

Check out the look she gave me at 2:36:love:

Holy sh!t, that's terrifying! You were in the cage filming?
Beautiful and frightening creature. Nice job capturing it.

tbuc

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jun 12, 2006
So we're servicing the buoys out at Midway Island and our dive boat is tied off with a small line to a sinker
at about 30'. We need to get back to the ship and our dive officer decides he's going to breath hold it
and swim down the line and untie us without a tank. He's no free diver. He gets down there and is messing
around with the knot and is starting to feel it. It was pretty common to have the gray, white tip, or black tip
sharks check us out when we were down there working. Well one of them takes note that this guy is starting
to get anxious. He decides to bail on the knot and as he's running out of air while pulling himself back up the
line the shark starts coming at him at speed. He's in a panic and really starts kicking. He about flies into the boat
and is freaking out about it chasing him up the line. We're thinking no sh*t, next time bring a tank.