*** Official Rip Curl Bells Beach Pro Contest Thread ***

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
Fair sh3. It was predictable that Brazilian fans would flip out, but Gabby has been pretty mellow as of late.

Cole surfed his waves about as well as a surfer his size could. But Medina surfed admirably and probably had the better waves. Tough call.

Kainoa heat was pretty solid and how was the paddle battle to start this heat?! :jamon:

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
be interesting to see who the money was on. havent heard a peep from the wsl about bookmaking, judges and the tennis tour

Reactions: ElOgro

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Coles first turn vs gabes first turn just to illustrate what im talking about. Gabes wave was bigger but it was a runner and he didnt get to really open up until the end. Screenshot_20240329-175242_Brave.jpg

Reactions: sh3

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
Your screenshots show Gabe at the apex of his turn, while the pic of Cole is well before the apex of his, but yeah.... Medina's was better.

Here's a better shot of Cole's turn...
wsl_cole.png

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I liked coles wave better. He had 2 turns that were better than anything gabe did. Gabes did more horizontal turns and floaters. His last two were okay but it felt like safety surfing.
No disrespect meant - when I read your post I thought you were joking.

It's like we didn't even watch the same waves.

a) Cole's wave looked sloppy - the two opening turns were awful and looked forced, he couldn't figure out his board until after those turns
b) Cole's wave itself was terrible - a really poor choice
c) WTF is with the claim?
c) Gabby's looked nimble, lightning quick
d) Gabby's board was properly engaged with noticeable precision.
e) Gabby did more maneuvers
f) Gabby's wave was better