***Official Real Estate Thread***

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
We did and won. The County was using incorrect numbers to calculate how much we paid for our house. We were able to prove to the judge that we paid less than what the County's assessor was trying to lock us in at for tax purposes. The guys from the Assessor's office were shocked when we told them, fine, let's go to court. The judge looked at how we arranged our purchase contract and determined that we were correct and our tax bill was lowered ~ $500/year.
One of my surfing buddies started a company that specialized in reducing property taxes. The last run up in home prices hurt his business but the market is in his favor now.

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
For me it's related to the retirement thread. We'd like to downsize or move to a lower rent district to get rid of the mortgage. So I'm always looking.

This one's a little outside my geogrpahic range but I thought I'd share it here for you guys/gals/whatevers. Seems like a great opportunity ....or not. Maybe for a flip. Or for people who like to hit their heads on piers...

La Conchita property ! Looks empty and bulldozer ready. Be ready to spend an extra $400k or move a double wide on the empty lot.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Anon buyer scooping up tons of land that surrounds Travis AFB. Gov wants to know who and why.

52,000 acres so far
Bought at 5-10x going rate for land in that area

"Where did they get the money where they could pay five to ten times the normal value that others would pay for this farmland?"

It just china or saudi arabia, dont worry about it.

• Haha
Reactions: slipped_disc

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
This house would be like having "Kookslams" playing all day on your giant full screen-

ps pretty steep price for a small 2 bedroom, but what a view!
Just one big storm away from oblivion.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Reactions: sdsrfr

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
  • Wow
Reactions: PJ and grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Deep discount on Pismo house. Location doesn't get much better on that area of the coast.

An $850,000 price cut took the home’s asking price down to $1.25 million from its previous list price of $2.1 million — which was already a cut from an original ask of $3.6 million when the home appeared on Zillow this April.

3 bed, 3 bath
3,156-square-foot
built in 2003

View attachment 159372
Damn if that was able to be financed I might just do it . . .. :drowning:

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Or getting a loan.

I can't remember if I mentioned this before, but a friend of mine has a small property, tucked under the cliff a few blocks from the collapse. For a long time they just had a trailer on the property shaded by a massive avocado tree. As he got a little older, he had a large bedroom unit built up off the trailer. It occupied a sunnier spot and really elevated the livability of the unit. Unfortunately, because it's all but impossible to get construction approved, he did it without permits. Years later, surveyors, county employees, or someone caught wind of it and he was forced to dismantle it.

• Sad
Reactions: grapedrink

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
Institutional investors have a ton of money that they are dying to allocate to more residential real estate purchases. Buying was put on hold last year for most. The one's that i deal with are frothing to deploy money...just waiting

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Long Beach, long considered a working class beach town, has gotten pretty spendy in its own right. This run down splanch across the street just listed at 1.3 million. Yes, it has 5 bedrooms; but it is a dumpy dumpster. It’s an eye sore like many older homes on the beach. Some have been updated and renovated beautifully, most have not. LB was mostly developed 60-110 years ago and many houses show that age.

I mean, what do you do? Spend 1.3 and then another 500 updating it from the foundation on up? or is the seller just delusional and they’ll end up accepting a “low ball” for 900? I’m curious to see what happens because it will directly and immediately affect the local comps and market values. If they get anywhere NEAR 1.3 I bet it affects my Zillow and red fin estimates. I have one less bedroom but my place is modern and immaculate compared to this shanty

IMG_0534.jpeg