***Official Real Estate Thread***

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Long Beach, long considered a working class beach town, has gotten pretty spendy in its own right. This run down splanch across the street just listed at 1.3 million. Yes, it has 5 bedrooms; but it is a dumpy dumpster. It’s an eye sore like many older homes on the beach. Some have been updated and renovated beautifully, most have not. LB was mostly developed 60-110 years ago and many houses show that age.

I mean, what do you do? Spend 1.3 and then another 500 updating it from the foundation on up? or is the seller just delusional and they’ll end up accepting a “low ball” for 900? I’m curious to see what happens because it will directly and immediately affect the local comps and market values. If they get anywhere NEAR 1.3 I bet it affects my Zillow and red fin estimates. I have one less bedroom but my place is modern and immaculate compared to this shanty

View attachment 160108

To be fair, I wouldn't call that a shanty or dumpster from that angle.
Modest, uninteresting, boring, nothing special. But it seems fine from the outside.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
To be fair, I wouldn't call that a shanty or dumpster from that angle.
Modest, uninteresting, boring, nothing special. But it seems fine from the outside.
I didn't want to take too many creeper pics to show off the warts. It's not falling down, but it's stained, and has all kinds of broken shingles, cracked everything, sagging roof, windows broken and poorly repaired, etc. Perhaps shanty was a strong word, but it is REALLY rough looking in person. Just dirty, run down, and unloved. I mean, it's habitable, which is something i guess :bricks:

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I didn't want to take too many creeper pics to show off the warts. It's not falling down, but it's stained, and has all kinds of broken shingles, cracked everything, sagging roof, windows broken and poorly repaired, etc. Perhaps shanty was a strong word, but it is REALLY rough looking in person. Just dirty, run down, and unloved. I mean, it's habitable, which is something i guess :bricks:
gotcha.

Good from far, far from good

• Haha
Reactions: Subway

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Long Beach, long considered a working class beach town, has gotten pretty spendy in its own right. This run down splanch across the street just listed at 1.3 million. Yes, it has 5 bedrooms; but it is a dumpy dumpster. It’s an eye sore like many older homes on the beach. Some have been updated and renovated beautifully, most have not. LB was mostly developed 60-110 years ago and many houses show that age.

I mean, what do you do? Spend 1.3 and then another 500 updating it from the foundation on up? or is the seller just delusional and they’ll end up accepting a “low ball” for 900? I’m curious to see what happens because it will directly and immediately affect the local comps and market values. If they get anywhere NEAR 1.3 I bet it affects my Zillow and red fin estimates. I have one less bedroom but my place is modern and immaculate compared to this shanty

View attachment 160108
I've seen run-down dumpy places with large square footage sold to "charities" for double the cost. The "charities" turn them into halfway houses full of bunks and collect $1k from the government per person.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
It seems like all of the potential bargain properties in my neighborhood (Sunset SF, but really it's anywhere here) don't make it to market. They are run down, the owner dies, or goes into assisted living/moves out, or they finally get rid of their renters. Quickly, the movers come to clean it out, it gets gutted, then the job card goes in the window and the facelift begins. Then it arrives on the market for 1-2 million depending on the size and scale of the remodel.

Reactions: sdsrfr

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Great, last thing I need are a bunch of drunks and druggies across the street :foreheadslap: :ROFLMAO:

Although LB is such a hard drinking town, i'm not sure if I would even notice a difference

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
That house is big and has a great location
it will be interesting to see how much it goes for and what the buyer does with it

im going to guess you get some family in there with some money, and the place gets a major renovation before they move in
Some people got lots of money

Reactions: Subway

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
It seems like all of the potential bargain properties in my neighborhood (Sunset SF, but really it's anywhere here) don't make it to market. They are run down, the owner dies, or goes into assisted living/moves out, or they finally get rid of their renters. Quickly, the movers come to clean it out, it gets gutted, then the job card goes in the window and the facelift begins. Then it arrives on the market for 1-2 million depending on the size and scale of the remodel.
We get door knockers and fliers under the door mat of folks looking to buy in our neighborhood.

id bet the same is happening over there. all cash, quick no contingency close, no buyer agent commission bc the buyer is the agent and broker, etc.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
That house is big and has a great location
it will be interesting to see how much it goes for and what the buyer does with it

im going to guess you get some family in there with some money, and the place gets a major renovation before they move in
Some people got lots of money
If it gets a high caliber reno (and it probably will) it may very well raise the property values for everyone within 5 blocks. it's a highly visible "marquis" location for the east end of LB, and it has a lot of lawn and garden which is rare for the President streets (and much of LB really)

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Sounds similar to my neighborhood, in fact, recently a home with much maintenance deferred recently came on to the market.

Had talk to the neighbors next door and the backstory is:
a. 8 yrs ago, the mom died.
b. 7.9 yrs ago, the 45 yr old son moved back in
c. 7.8 yrs ago, new $250,000 car was parked on the street out front (what are you doing, park that thing in the garage!)
d. 6 yrs ago, that car was replaced by a new $100,000 car (what are you doing, park that thing in the garage!)
e. 5 yrs ago, that car was replaced by a used former $75,000 car (what are you doing, park that thing in the garage!)
f. 4 yrs ago, the BBQs started with much friends, a beater car out front keeps getting ticketed
g. 2 yrs ago, house went silent/dark, no more parties noticed, weeds/plants start taking over
h. 1 yr ago, notice of sorts goes up in window,
i. 6 months ago, crew rips up yard, new plumbing lines laid, foundation work, roof work, painting, etc, major renovation
j. two weeks ago, up for sale at $1.6 million

My guess is son took equity out, lived large, sold to all cash offer for peanuts, and likely the pattern will repeat elsewhere cheaper than SF.

Last edited:

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
confidence in conditions
again, lol. What “big money” waits for the market to be completely safe to invest? Equity has been a bit more conservative than normal and debt has more expensive than equity which is weird, but it’s generally been back at it for at least the last few months. I guess the market needs dopes who buy late too.

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
again, lol. What “big money” waits for the market to be completely safe to invest? Equity has been a bit more conservative than normal and debt has more expensive than equity which is weird, but it’s generally been back at it for at least the last few months. I guess the market needs dopes who buy late too.
Invesco for one

i said confidence, not certainty or safety - some buying is happening today. but it is very slow

Last edited: