***Official Real Estate Thread***

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Not looking to head south at all. The only other place I can call home on the east coast would be New England since I’ve had some roots there periodically. I’ve also found a position in my industry that’s actually flexible and avoiding the stress of starting my own company. So not looking to give that up at the moment.

Other than NE I’d probably just look west again but we want to be near family.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Long Island is pretty annoying and absurdly expensive. If I didn’t live on LB I don’t know if I’d want to live anywhere else on LI
She’s not so down, and I’m kind of hot and cold on LB. I want property, I’m sick of living on top of other people. Honestly we’ll probably end up somewhere on the east end.

Reactions: Subway

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
If I was independently wealthy I would move back there but it’s a brutal place to be even upper-middle-class these days. My friends who still live there mostly make great money (architects and builders do well, the yoga teachers live in genteel poverty) and they still struggle at times, even making solid six figures (not the yogis)

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
Not looking to head south at all. The only other place I can call home on the east coast would be New England since I’ve had some roots there periodically. I’ve also found a position in my industry that’s actually flexible and avoiding the stress of starting my own company. So not looking to give that up at the moment.

Other than NE I’d probably just look west again but we want to be near family.
Rhode Island. I dont need to sell you on it, you know the deal. Affordable, waves, your trade is valuable in that neck of the woods....

Jack-the-Ripper

OTF status
Feb 10, 2023
Does anyone buy into this crap?! I think most Californians can afford to buy but just want to buy other things. Nice cars, vacations, microbrews, yadayada. Everywhere there seems to be money, so this doesn't make much sense.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Does anyone buy into this crap?! I think most Californians can afford to buy but just want to buy other things. Nice cars, vacations, microbrews, yadayada. Everywhere there seems to be money, so this doesn't make much sense.
:roflmao:
Ah yes, if it weren't for my $27 plates of avocado toast every other Sunday and $12 crowlers of craft beer I could afford a $1.4M home :foreheadslap: :roflmao: FTR I am a homeowner because I got in early enough.

Check the "should I stay or should I go" post from Boneroni. I don't know his personal finance particulars but basically a $495k condo with a $500 HOA had an estimated monthly payment of $4800. Without the HOA that would maybe get you up to $550-600k with the same payment. $600K gets you jack sh!t on the coast (as in coastal county/101 corridor, not walking distance) almost everywhere between TJ and Sonoma County.

A $4800 payment is roughly a bimonthly paycheck of a $150-160K/year W2 earner. You are well into the upper 10-15% of income earners at that point. If you need 2 paychecks to make a payment, whether from a single earner or both spouses, you probably can't afford it.

Usually in Class A+ districts it is more economical to rent than buy. The reverse is true the shittier the area/neighborhood gets.

• Love
Reactions: PRCD and Boneroni

Jack-the-Ripper

OTF status
Feb 10, 2023
:roflmao:
Ah yes, if it weren't for my $27 plates of avocado toast every other Sunday and $12 crowlers of craft beer I could afford a $1.4M home :foreheadslap: :roflmao: FTR I am a homeowner because I got in early enough.

Check the "should I stay or should I go" post from Boneroni. I don't know his personal finance particulars but basically a $495k condo with a $500 HOA had an estimated monthly payment of $4800. Without the HOA that would maybe get you up to $550-600k with the same payment. $600K gets you jack sh!t on the coast (as in coastal county/101 corridor, not walking distance) almost everywhere between TJ and Sonoma County.

A $4800 payment is roughly a bimonthly paycheck of a $150-160K/year W2 earner. You are well into the upper 10-15% of income earners at that point. If you need 2 paychecks to make a payment, whether from a single earner or both spouses, you probably can't afford it.

Usually in Class A+ districts it is more economical to rent than buy. The reverse is true the shittier the area/neighborhood gets.
Most of my work is done between Ventura and San Diego. Remove LA county from the equation and I can tell you what I see, lots of of $50K+ trucks and SUVs on the road and everywhere I look there's a Tesla. That can't be cheap. Restaurants are booming everywhere. Malls are packed. Sit down in any restaurant and there's more DoorDash drivers than customers. Plenty of people renting own Sprinter vans or similar. Everyone has pets nevermind kids too. Nobody out there struggling in fact most people are doing pretty daggone good. With your negativity you won't get anywhere!

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Most of my work is done between Ventura and San Diego. Remove LA county from the equation and I can tell you what I see, lots of of $50K+ trucks and SUVs on the road and everywhere I look there's a Tesla. That can't be cheap. Restaurants are booming everywhere. Malls are packed. Sit down in any restaurant and there's more DoorDash drivers than customers. Plenty of people renting own Sprinter vans or similar. Everyone has pets nevermind kids too. Nobody out there struggling in fact most people are doing pretty daggone good.
Beware of the availability heuristic. What you see is a fraction of the populace who are doing quite well and have plenty of free time and money to spend it in high dollar districts. Beyond that there are a lot of people who you aren't seeing that do not live like that, who are the majority and the ones driving for door dash, making your coffee, teaching your kids etc. They can't afford to play as much as the others, so they don't.

I agree that a $50K truck payment is absurd and would go a long way towards a home payment, but when the average 3/2 is $1M+ then I can see why people who aren't in the game don't bother and spend their free money on toys instead. An $800K loan would set you back $5500 in principal and interest alone, plus another ~$1K/month in property taxes and insurance. Why take on a $6500 monthly payment, plus the 6 figure downpayment, if you can rent the same house for $3.5-4.5K per month?

With your negativity you won't get anywhere!
:roflmao: I'm not being negative. Like I said, I got my piece and I'm good with it. What I am is realistic. IMO a $6500 monthly payment is irresponsible unless you make at least $200K on one income, or at best with 2 incomes that are stable (whatever that means this days) and no plans to take time off to have kids, and even then I would still question it.

Do you disagree :unsure: What income threshold do you think someone should be at before taking on that kind of payment :unsure:

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
population increases and more people out there are making money. I bought again in 2006 at what I thought was the top of the market and we're pretty much sitting at double the value with increased rates. Still the people that are moving in are couples in their mid to late 30's with very young kids. it's nuts. My neighborhood is great but it's basically 1200-1700 square ft late 50's/early 60's sh!t boxes.

Reactions: grapedrink

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Why take on a $6500 monthly payment, plus the 6 figure downpayment, if you can rent the same house for $3.5-4.5K per month?
Because in less than 10 years rent will be the same as that $6500 PITI, and in 20 years rent will be way, way more. Plus the value of your $1M house will probably be $2M in 20 years, you will have an asset you can sell at a $1M+ profit.

Jack-the-Ripper

OTF status
Feb 10, 2023
Beware of the availability heuristic. What you see is a fraction of the populace who are doing quite well and have plenty of free time and money to spend it in high dollar districts. Beyond that there are a lot of people who you aren't seeing that do not live like that, who are the majority and the ones driving for door dash, making your coffee, teaching your kids etc. They can't afford to play as much as the others, so they don't.
I work in both coastal and inland areas and this is what I see. People making coffee generally don't own homes anywhere. That's a starter job. I rode in a Uber Tesla to the airport last January.

I agree that a $50K truck payment is absurd and would go a long way towards a home payment, but when the average 3/2 is $1M+ then I can see why people who aren't in the game don't bother and spend their free money on toys instead. An $800K loan would set you back $5500 in principal and interest alone, plus another ~$1K/month in property taxes and insurance. Why take on a $6500 monthly payment, plus the 6 figure downpayment, if you can rent the same house for $3.5-4.5K per month?
Rent an apartment someplace cheaper.

I'm not being negative. Like I said, I got my piece and I'm good with it. What I am is realistic. IMO a $6500 monthly payment is irresponsible unless you make at least $200K on one income, or at best with 2 incomes that are stable (whatever that means this days) and no plans to take time off to have kids, and even then I would still question it.

Do you disagree :unsure: What income threshold do you think someone should be at before taking on that kind of payment :unsure:
A good idea would be income-based rent control and mortgage rates. @grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Because in less than 10 years rent will be the same as that $6500 PITI, and in 20 years rent will be way, way more. Plus the value of your $1M house will probably be $2M in 20 years, you will have an asset you can sell at a $1M+ profit.
I agree. However if you can’t afford the $6500 payment then it’s not even an option.

Reactions: hammies

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I work in both coastal and inland areas and this is what I see. People making coffee generally don't own homes anywhere. That's a starter job. I rode in a Uber Tesla to the airport last January.
Um, ok? Cool story bro. I have numerous friends and colleagues who make well into 6 figures and not a single one of them own a Tesla, sprinter or an absurdly oversized truck. You are quoting easily noticeable anecdotes and extrapolating those out to the masses, which is the definition of the availability heuristic.

Rent an apartment someplace cheaper.
Ok, so now you are telling people to rent? I thought you think they should homeowners?

A good idea would be income-based rent control and mortgage rates. @grapedrink
There have been plenty of case studies on rent control. The consensus is that they are good for individuals who lock into them but bad for overall market availability and quality, especially in high demand markets.

CCKeith

Gerry Lopez status
May 13, 2014
in the property managment biz. average stuff not high end. amazed by the stuff tenants own. audi driver bitches about a $100 rent incrse. other tenant - im in ther unit looking at a leak i see this weird machine i say whats that he say portable ac for my sprinter, the dog gets hot. then has to shjow hjis sprinter to me. hot water, solar the works. i told the owner hes not charging enough, these tenants live luxurious.

• Haha
Reactions: PRCD and grapedrink

Jack-the-Ripper

OTF status
Feb 10, 2023
Um, ok? Cool story bro. I have numerous friends and colleagues who make well into 6 figures and not a single one of them own a Tesla, sprinter or an absurdly oversized truck. You are quoting easily noticeable anecdotes and extrapolating those out to the masses, which is the definition of the availability heuristic.

Ok, so now you are telling people to rent? I thought you think they should homeowners?

There have been plenty of case studies on rent control. The consensus is that they are good for individuals who lock into them but bad for overall market availability and quality, especially in high demand markets.
You rent and save like your parents did. Do you own inland or coastal? Do you have children?