Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Reactions: keenfish

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
The ceo of Pixar owns that place.

its kind of funny it’s right in the middle of town. I could walk to that house from my old home I paid 720k for.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I am surprised estate houses top out at only $30M. Would've thought the top would be at least $50+.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Speaking of property, rode my bicycle to Pacifica to visit Friend #2 and found out they just bought some acres in the Santa Cruz hills for $500K. (sold the investment house in SLC their eldest son lived in and took HELOC on their place in Pacifica to buy.)

There is a well, 7 cisterns, septic, "treefort" cottage, solar set up, and suspiciously arranged grids of pipes and low flow water emitters in somewhat nicely terraced spaces with circular raised beds. I can see myself visiting and camping on one of those terraces.

Offhand, how often do people go wandering through the hills around late summer looking for strongly scented weeds?

First, want to make clear I do not plan on going for a walk in the "neighborhood" if I visit there during the season, or any other time for that matter. Known and maintained trails, sure, wandering through the bush outside of the property boundary, nope.

Second, am wondering if people think that anyone else would go wandering around. I don't want to be camping on one of those terraces and have someone traipse through looking for goodies. Maybe the local potheads are smart enough not to risk their neck, but I don't know. I guess this is what I am trying to suss out. (I would only visit the property if my friends were there, and would camp because the 'residence' is big enough for one queen bed, a kitchenette, and sitting room...outdoor toilet and wash basin.)

I'm guessing the property seller was very minor player in the local market and when pot was legalized, demand for his product dropped off or he found the hurdle to go legit too much of a headache.....so sell while the property market is hot. Hopefully, seller was an organic gardener and the terraces weren't doused with who knows what.

Was finally able to visit my friend's place this weekend..

Lower 3 level grow site:

1658174176981.png

Upper:
1658174225017.png

Middle is most out of shape:
1658174271797.png

Based on the dirt road leading to the first gate and the chains across the road, the homes (with dogs) on the way in, and the steepness of the hillside, am thinking that if/when I put a tent out, will not be having much trouble with interlopers thinking this is still an active grow.

Last edited:
May 24, 2020
I also read on the news that there was a landslide. Of course, I could be wrong. However, if everything is now fine and you are satisfied with this option, then why not?! In any case, you are looking for an easier option to get rid of the mortgage, so I think this is a good option. It is unlikely that you will be able to find a better one, but you can still try. At https://timthomas.co/signs-of-a-housing-market-crash/, you can find a lot of useful information about real estate. This may be helpful for you. Good luck.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
LOL OK

I see Sicily's 1 euro homes are now 60K euros.

How did that happen?
Combo of factors. Remote work makes it possible. I know there was at least one town in Italy that was paying foreigners to move there to keep a population in place. Lots of towns with no prospects for young adults.

As for why the homes were only $1, maybe you are still responsible for taxes even if you abandon your home? That’s the only thing that makes sense.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Some countries have been trying to give away castles too. Like the real deal old timey castles from time of knights and wizards and sh!t. But the castle upkeep is horrendous and uber expensive and nobody wants to deal with it anymore. So the castles rot away without caretakers.

• Sad
Reactions: grapedrink

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
That house is beyond idiotic. But the property looks pretty cool:

Looks like there a few other apartments/guest houses on the lot too.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Interest rates going up again.
According to what I read yesterday, people are being forced out of their homes at increased rates and the supply of available housing is starting expand as the list of buyers is starting to dry up a bit. Combine that with higher interest rates and they were projecting at least a 20% pullback in prices. My realtor confirmed that prices are beginning to come in a bit.

Reactions: bluemarlin04