***Official Real Estate Thread***

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
You don’t understand why people who have settled an area and have had children want to see their children and grandchildren live near them?
Of course I do. Nowhere did I say otherwise- you made that argument up out of thin air.

No, if that's their choice, so be it.
Family isn’t a choice. Living near family is not one equally-weighted choice among many. You’ll see when you have kids.
Again, where does the assumption that I feel otherwise come from?

Reactions: rice

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Dat guy done dug one deep pigeon hole…:foreheadslap:

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
adding "bugman" to my lexicon

thinking about bugman's plight reminded me of this song...

"Woodstock"

Well I came upon a child of God, he was walking along the road
And I asked him tell me where are you going, this he told me:
Said, I'm going down to Yasgur's farm, going to join in a rock and roll band.
Got to get back to the land, and set my soul free.
We are stardust, we are golden, we are billion year old carbon,
And we got to get ourselves back to the garden.

Well, then can I walk beside you? I have come to lose the smog.
And I feel myself a cog in something turning.
And maybe it's the time of the year, yes and maybe it's the time of man.
And I don't know who I am but life is for learning.

By the time we got to Woodstock, we were half a million strong,
And everywhere was a song and a celebration.
And I dreamed I saw the bomber jet planes riding shotgun in the sky,
Turning into butterflies above our nation.

We are stardust, we are golden, we are caught in the devil's bargain,

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: donuts and PRCD

Driftcoast

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2002
Seems like I’ve found the right buttons to push here. If you have child(ren), do you plan on mocking them and telling them to move inland to an ocean of corn when they can’t afford to live in your county? You seem to lack empathy, suggesting you’re turning into a bugman. You are at a crossroads. Choose wisely.

Grapers says

I have one on the way.

Then you say

You’ll see when you have kids.

But you said you don’t have kids.
Reading comprehension? You should listen to your own snark

Don’t trouble yourself with things beyond your capabilities.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: grapedrink and rice

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I don’t understand the argument youre trying to make @PRCD ?
i agree it sucks that good locations are becoming prohibitively expensive for the next generation

but what is the argument?
I've been complaining about Black Rock and institutional investors buying houses for pages. I also attempted to counter the idea that "strong fundamentals" were responsible for the growth in housing prices - rather it's more likely institutional manipulation like we saw 15 years ago and the main offenders were never punished.

I'd also severely curtail foreign buyers. Our housing market is not a bank for the CCP and House of Saud, hence my, "This country is not run for the people who live here" statement. I've talked to many young families in SoCal who put in a bid on a house and were beaten at the last minute by all-cash Chinese buyers. This happened on my street. Don't gaslight me.

I'd limit immigration. If we don't have enough houses for the people who live here, we shouldn't be bringing more. I don't care what cheap foreign labor Google and agribusiness need. I get it. We'll starve. Fine. Your average American needs several weeks of starvation.

Finally, maybe we could do something about our greed.

That collage is so deep. I can study it all day. TYVM. "My good sir!" can be contracted to, "Goonsire!"

adding "bugman" to my lexicon

thinking about bugman's plight reminded me of this song...

"Woodstock"

Well I came upon a child of God, he was walking along the road
And I asked him tell me where are you going, this he told me:
Said, I'm going down to Yasgur's farm, going to join in a rock and roll band.
Got to get back to the land, and set my soul free.

Well, then can I walk beside you? I have come to lose the smog.
And I feel myself a cog in something turning.
And maybe it's the time of the year, yes and maybe it's the time of man.
And I don't know who I am but life is for learning.

By the time we got to Woodstock, we were half a million strong,
And everywhere was a song and a celebration.
And I dreamed I saw the bomber jet planes riding shotgun in the sky,
Turning into butterflies above our nation.

We are stardust, we are golden, we are caught in the devil's bargain,
"Woodstock?" Are you trolling me, goonsire? If I never hear about the weeks of Boomers wallowing in the mud again, it'll be too soon.

• Haha
Reactions: crustBrother

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Might be a shithole but you got a good basketball team.:jamon:
Fireworks going off all over the City for a good long time....thank all that is magically delicious for double pane windows.

And the sports writers are still a little tipsy.....

1655481434402.png

1655481473185.png

As for comment below, I don't think it is particularly accurate to label all these fans as "bugmen".

And if the comment is directed at yours truly, since I really really enjoy surfing/mt hiking/camping but don't go to sporting events or watch them on the telly (much less celebrate Warrior wins with my fellow SFers), I am not sure I fall into the nerdbug or jockbug label. And sadly, am still without a cell phone, not a millenial, went to state college of no apparent renown (I think OSU "perfected" the industrial age maraschino cherry, so maybe more prestigious than I give it credit), live in a single family home in the city not in a condo with people living above/below/besides nor in the suburbs, etc etc. So if comment below is aimed at me for posting light-hearted reaction to Warriors win, would rate it a 'swing and a miss'.

PS
Not a fan of corporations owning single family homes and same with people with little skin in the game (that is the USA) buying up same. Am for bright, hard-working people coming to the USA, that make us a better nation, just like dear old dad.

PPS
The overwhelming majority of the world follows some religion. How do you interact with such people?
Seems sensible to give the basic civil respect I give to everyone until it is proved that such respect isn't getting me same in return. Then I just go on my way.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: sdsrfr and One-Off

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
When it comes to sports, bugmen can be neatly divided into two distinct groupings. Sports is either not part of his life — the nerdbug — or it is one of his defining characteristics — the jockbug. The latter, once a promising athlete, now watches on beer and betting slip-in-hand as blaring, sanitized SPORTS! is beamed into his retinas, relieving his brain of any signs of life that might have otherwise surfaced. Jockbugs have been known to spend as many as 30 hours a week consuming SPORTS!, and even more reading/talking about it.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I've been complaining about Black Rock and institutional investors buying houses for pages. I also attempted to counter the idea that "strong fundamentals" were responsible for the growth in housing prices - rather it's more likely institutional manipulation like we saw 15 years ago and the main offenders were never punished.

I'd also severely curtail foreign buyers. Our housing market is not a bank for the CCP and House of Saud, hence my, "This country is not run for the people who live here" statement. I've talked to many young families in SoCal who put in a bid on a house and were beaten at the last minute by all-cash Chinese buyers. This happened on my street. Don't gaslight me.
I don't actually disagree with some of this. Corpos buying single family homes is a huge problem. Foreign buyers, ditto. When you veer off into bugman territory or some religious stuff you really lose me though.

Reactions: grapedrink

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I don't actually disagree with some of this. Corpos buying single family homes is a huge problem. Foreign buyers, ditto. When you veer off into bugman territory
Seems like you really want to engage me on the bugman essay. Which paragraphs jumped out at you?
or some religious stuff you really lose me though.
The overwhelming majority of the world follows some religion. How do you interact with such people?

Reactions: drainer

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Seems like you really want to engage me on the bugman essay.
Oh, not at all actually. I wouldn't even know where to begin. It was basically incoherent and I'm not convinced that it isn't some sort of meta parody.

Generally without issue. Only the ones who are a little off ever bring it up.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Oh, not at all actually. I wouldn't even know where to begin. It was basically incoherent and I'm not convinced that it isn't some sort of meta parody.
It wasn't incoherent. It was a character sketch. You've confused the genre of the essay. What is a "meta parody" in your own words?

Generally without issue. Only the ones who are a little off ever bring it up.
Is it possible that the people in foreign countries who "don't bring it up" recognize you as a Westerner and skirt the issue of religion with you while discussing it liberally among themselves? You've never seen translations of foreign political debates that discuss religion?

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink