***Official Real Estate Thread***

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
The next spot to blow up is going to be barrio Logan especially the area under the bridge. It’s been happening slowly since 2012 but as east village expands outwards it’s a matter of time.

Reactions: tedshred5

i_ride_spinnaz

OTF status
Aug 19, 2020
The next spot to blow up is going to be barrio Logan especially the area under the bridge. It’s been happening slowly since 2012 but as east village expands outwards it’s a matter of time.
pockets of it have been slowly gentrified, but head a block east, south, or north in the wrong direction and one could easily run into serious problems.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
pockets of it have been slowly gentrified, but head a block east, south, or north in the wrong direction and one could easily run into serious problems.
Drove down what used to be Crosby St. a few months ago, been decades since I took that road. What used to be Chuy's in a quonset hut and a couple of junkyards is now a full-on gentrified Latino hipster mecca.

Reactions: bluemarlin04

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
know of a very very blue collar guy with a high school diploma at my work who scrapped with his wife to get their house over a decade ago and is now sitting on a nice pile of equity in a now gentrified neighborhood as he approaches retirement age.

upward mobility - done.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
North park is another one. All of a sudden it became this major hipster neighborhood and houses became really expensive

Reactions: sdsrfr

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
that neighborhood definitely has character. lots of good food spots and a couple cool local breweries as well. heard in the news that a Roscoe's chicken and waffles is gonna open on the main strip

Reactions: bluemarlin04

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
North park is another one. All of a sudden it became this major hipster neighborhood and houses became really expensive
9-10 years ago I lived in a 1bed 1bath apt near the Thorn St brewing tasting room, paid $900/month. i bet that place would rent for close to $2k a month now.

Reactions: sdsrfr

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I saw some of Barrio Logan near the East Village that had been gentrified a while back, the next time I drove through there it looked like skid row - following the construction of Park 12 it seems the homeless were pushed in that direction near the 5.

My guess is the City of SD simply decided to sh!t on whoever had the least political pull, and that was BL. Read some articles about it and a lot of people were pissed off.

If Barrio Logan is going to gentrify where is the City going to shovel the homeless? Pushing them towards Balboa is a huge risk (fire) and any of the other neighborhoods in that are already partly gentrified and residential will raise stink.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I saw some of Barrio Logan near the East Village that had been gentrified a while back, the next time I drove through there it looked like skid row - following the construction of Park 12 it seems the homeless were pushed in that direction near the 5.

My guess is the City of SD simply decided to sh!t on whoever had the least political pull, and that was BL. Read some articles about it and a lot of people were pissed off.

If Barrio Logan is going to gentrify where is the City going to shovel the homeless? Pushing them towards Balboa is a huge risk (fire) and any of the other neighborhoods in that are already partly gentrified and residential will raise stink.
That’s a good question.

Maybe inland and south?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
That’s a good question.

Maybe inland and south?
I considered that option; how will working class Latinos in places like National City react to people camped out on sidewalks where their kids walk to school, men walking around their neighborhoods without pants on, and junkies shooting up in plainsight?

I mean it's easy for urbanite yuppies and DINKs to just hold their noses and scurry by while expressing their empathy...But nonwhite people who have kids? They tend to take a different attitude.