*** Official National Parks Thread ***

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Consider Wishon Reservoir area. Everything east of dam is free camping and plenty of good spots. Waterfall on west side of lake is easily accessible from road and waterfall on east side is a solid trail hike.

Courtright Reservoir is nearby and equally impressive, with trails all the around the lake, and huge granite domes to hike up. Campgrounds can be reserved.

Wishon

View attachment 151155

Courtright

View attachment 151154
Looks beautiful but I'm pretty sure those areas will be snowbound too. We have to cancel. The Yosemite NP website said the Lower and Upper Pines campgrounds "tentatively open" on April 11. Our reservation starts the 9th. The site also said all non paved trails are snowy and icy and "traction devices" are necessary.

We are looking for alternatives that do not require a reservation (too late for that) or special winter equipment. Sequoia is completely closed. Anybody been to Valley of Fire Nevada?

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Looks beautiful but I'm pretty sure those areas will be snowbound too. We have to cancel. The Yosemite NP website said the Lower and Upper Pines campgrounds "tentatively open" on April 11. Our reservation starts the 9th. The site also said all non paved trails are snowy and icy and "traction devices" are necessary.

We are looking for alternatives that do not require a reservation (too late for that) or special winter equipment. Sequoia is completely closed. Anybody been to Valley of Fire Nevada?
Switching it up and heading to the desert is definitely the best call. I've been to Valley of Fire. Its quite beautiful. Just watch out for rattlers as they start to emerge in the spring.

Yosemite Valley going to be rekt when Merced River goes flood stage again. And yes, all those trails will still be closed and icy in April. Also, there is serious danger of ice chunks falling on you from cliffs above.

Reactions: One-Off

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
this summer is going to be one long mosquito bloom

PCTers this season are fkkkkkd
In all of our travels w the kids (30 NPs), one of the lessons learned is how grateful we are that we don't have to deal w mosquitos like other places. They realize how lucky we are to live where we do.

Reactions: keenfish

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
How about Sedona? :shrug:

I figure we can find a "Pulp Fiction Motel" without a reservation. Our usual M.O. is to roll into town and look for the seediest looking lodgings we can find. As long as it's clean. We really just sleep there. We're gone all day. Don't know about Sedona though. Last time I was there was when I lived in Flagstaff and it was really resorty and pricey. I tend to avoid "resorts" like the plague. I never explored the outskirts but I've heard there are spectacular hikes every where.

ps- re mosquitoes. After living in Africa and visiting Italy for 10 sconsecutive summers I realize I have some sour blood or something. I really don't get bit much whereas the people around will get devoured.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
ps- re mosquitoes. After living in Africa and visiting Italy for 10 sconsecutive summers I realize I have some sour blood or something. I really don't get bit much whereas the people around will get devoured.
Regarding the mosquitos.. same here. They don't like me or I'm not allergic to their bite?

With that said:

I was in Leningrad (Saint Petersburg) back in '83.

The room we were in filled with mosquitos and wrecked the other person that night and I didn't have one welt.

Then in Belgium.. same scenario... but this time I was completely covered in welts the size of quarters.

Two different places and two different mosquitos I guess.

Belgium is still the only place I have been affected (eaten alive) by mosquitos.

Reactions: Mr Doof

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Regarding the mosquitos.. same here. They don't like me or I'm not allergic to their bite?

With that said:

The room we were in filled with mosquitos and wrecked the other person that night and I didn't have one welt.

Then in Belgium.. same scenario... but this time I was completely covered in welts the size of quarters.

Belgium is still the only place I have been affected (eaten alive) by mosquitos.

Bedbugs

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
How about Sedona? :shrug:

I figure we can find a "Pulp Fiction Motel" without a reservation. Our usual M.O. is to roll into town and look for the seediest looking lodgings we can find. As long as it's clean. We really just sleep there. We're gone all day. Don't know about Sedona though. Last time I was there was when I lived in Flagstaff and it was really resorty and pricey. I tend to avoid "resorts" like the plague. I never explored the outskirts but I've heard there are spectacular hikes every where.

Day hiking in Sedona is great! Tons of easily accessible trails and eye-popping scenery. The town is touristy AF, though, and not cheap.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Man.
It feels impossible to do 2 things in this world.

Get a timely passport appointment for a child
Get a reservation on a weekend at a State/National park within 3 hours of SF

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009

With that said:

'90 Lapland Sweden camping I tried everything including local brew a paste came in tin you applied to face. My older brother watched me go nuts pretty much gave up and woke up next day with every single inch of my arms had bites:bricks:

• Wow

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Yes, by far my favriot NP evar.
Sunrise over Lake McDonald

Iceberg Lake

Hiking out to Iceberg Lake

Eddie's Cafe in Apgar Village has the best huckleberry pie!
Wow! Beautiful stuff. I'm dying to get to the mountains soon as the upper snow starts to melt.

• Love
Reactions: Joshua2415

Joshua2415

Tom Curren status
Jul 18, 2005
San Clemente
Dude!! Wonderful photo’’s!! :applause2::bowdown:
Wow! Beautiful stuff. I'm dying to get to the mountains soon as the upper snow starts to melt.
Thank you both! Glacier is such an amazing park with so much to see and do there. These were from a family trip back in '17.

PSA: National Park Week started on Saturday and extends through Sunday, 4/30. Free entrance to all NP's!