*** Official National Parks Thread ***

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
We got reservations for hiking into Iva Bel Hot Springs in August. Snow shouldn't be a factor--we hope. I just don't know about the bridge over Fish Creek, hope it didn't suffer the fate of other bridges in the Sierra. Like the one over the San Joaquin that's on the PCT/JMT that's destroyed with something like a 40 mile way around it.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Stop stacking rocks like a dumb fucking hipster.

Yosemite Rangers said it's against park policy of 'leave no trace' and also fucks up the ecosystem for the little critters that live under the rocks. Hikers have the green light to knock 'em down.

About time!
I used to tell my kids to kick them over when we were hiking. One time some hippy decided to scold me for allowing my kids to vandalize someone's "art". I just smiled, nodded my head and kept on walking.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
About time!
I used to tell my kids to kick them over when we were hiking. One time some hippy decided to scold me for allowing my kids to vandalize someone's "art". I just smiled, nodded my head and kept on walking.
I would have said, gesturing to the surroundings, "This is the art I came to admire."

This might be less popular, but I could live without the heads carved into Mt. Rushmore.

Then, to somehow right that wrong they carved an equally egregious monument to Crazy Horse nearby. :foreheadslap: I imagine Crazy Horse was rolling in his grave? I wonder what Teddy would have thought about Mt Rushmore? I quote him on the Grand Canyon-

"Leave it as it is. You can not improve on it. The ages have been at work on it, and man can only mar it. What you can do is to keep it for your children, your children's children, and for all who come after you, as one of the great sights which every American if he can travel at all should see."

A friend of mine was actively opposing the buidlings of astronomical observatories on Mt Graham near Tucson. The native tribes opposed the contruction saying that the mountain was sacred to their people. U of A and the Vatican said that there is no evidence the area was sacred to them because they built nothing at the site. The tribes responded, "Precisely because it is sacred we built nothing there."

When cultures collide.

drunjk

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 27, 2017
red head 3/8 anchors + home made d rings, rope hanging off each, one dozen, top of steep granite bluff 23 ft down rope swaying, - dead bodies staggered laterally in the breeze rotting, vermin fight over remains bumping cliff face monument to trail below

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Tioga Pass opens July 22.

“While vault and portable toilets will be available, there will be no water, no store/food service, and no fuel. Be sure to bring all the food/water you need."

-Park Rangers
And maybe an avy beacon

Reactions: r32

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Hiked to Wapama Falls yesterday in Yosemite. Waterfalls still raging. Most flow I've ever seen at HH. Usually they are dry by now. Water pouring out the dam and the overflow part as well. Insane amount of water. First real hike since covid recovery and crushed it. 5.3 miles and it was hot as fvck at 95 degrees. Legs and lungs felt good finally. Let's fucking go!

On the way back, ran into two women backpackers heading out. Younger woman was probably mid to late 60's and the other had to be over 70! Both had their sleeping bags, bedrolls, and full packs.

Older one had walking sticks and was taking so much time with each step and her left hand was shaking pretty badly. But she was taking each step slowly down the granite stairs. I thought holy sh!t, I hope they aren't going far, as it was already mid afternoon and hot af.

I stopped and asked where they were going. That night they were camping at Rancheria Falls which was 6 miles from that point on the trail. They were doing five nights and were going to do the entire loop above Hetch Hetchy. So Rancheria Falls, up to Vernon Lake and around and back down to Hetch Hetchy. That's around 30 miles. Mind blown.

1690827735820.png

Imgur compresses vid too much. Anyone else know of better site for free vid ups?

Dam at Hetch Hetchy and water is flowing big.

Attachments

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
For those who haven't been, this is what Hetch Hetchy looked like before the dam was built. It's basically another Yosemite Valley.

After the big SF earthquake in 1906, there was a strong push to find water sources for the Bay Area. Eventually they passed a bill and the dam was built to create the reservoir.

1690827111151.png

1690827286096.png

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
For those who haven't been, this is what Hetch Hetchy looked like before the dam was built. It's basically another Yosemite Valley.

After the big SF earthquake in 1906, there was a strong push to find water sources for the Bay Area. Eventually they passed a bill and the dam was built to create the reservoir.

View attachment 159380

View attachment 159382
If you watch Ken Burn's, "National Parks- America's Best Idea," that was the sad ending to John Muir's life. He loved the place, fought against the dam and lost the battle.

We were there a few years ago and it has a weird vibe to it IMHO. It was important for us to see but I don't think I'll go back. It was really hot there.

Welcome to Hetch Hetchy-

IMG_2895.JPG

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
If you watch Ken Burn's, "National Parks- America's Best Idea," that was the sad ending to John Muir's life. He loved the place, fought against the dam and lost the battle.

We were there a few years ago and it has a weird vibe to it IMHO. It was important for us to see but I don't think I'll go back. It was really hot there.

Welcome to Hetch Hetchy-
Been there 4 or 5 times. It's amazing but def feels a bit less exciting than Yosemite Valley or Tioga. Maybe because it's mostly trails and no services? But the super small crowds is an attractive offer.

Never had a weird vibe there. What type of vibe you getting? Indian ghosts throwing rocks at you? They had this paradise for 5000+ years before settlers showed up.

I think this was first time I've been there and not seen a bear.

Reactions: surf-shot.com

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Caught between wanting to go to Yosemite for a few days because @r32 's post reminded me that hikes don't have to be finished in a single day...and the reality that I get lost literally everywhere and could very likely end up having to start a new life with the bears.

Edit: not just the usual places everyone gets lost like LA, large malls, confusingly oriented furnature stores. every.where.
Pinnacles.
Henry Cowell.
San Deigo. Three times.
MFer I got lost on an island, Santa Cruz Island.

• Haha
Reactions: r32

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA

View attachment 159380

View attachment 159382

Same was planned for the Grand Canyon. Image a 2nd Grand Canyon but like Hetch Hetchy, the dam was built and now we have Lake Powell.

And maybe one of these days when we get cheap abundant power and can run desal plants, maybe we won't need these reservoirs so much....