*** Official National Parks Thread ***

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Have only gone in summer for stars.

Spring is gonna be chilly, but if you got the gear.....

You can do a week there if you are hiking and camping, car camping though might be a little boring for a week but it depends on your outlook.

By the way, intersection of 375 and 318 NV has a warm spring that reminds me (somewhat) of the spring in Florida with mermaid shows, and down from that on 93 are some great hotsprings.

PS

One of our favorite lunch spots...looking SW:View attachment 140966

Looking NE:
View attachment 140967

Edit:

1 Isn't Tree of Life in Washington, not Oregon?

2 Racetrack over Amboy. Beside, on the way to Racetrack, you can stop at Ubehebe Crater for similar 'Amboy Crater' type hike/experience. For greatness of the sublime type, on the way to the Racetrack stop of 1X and follow ephemeral trail to the Wall at 2X. Go on Google Earth and look for the trail. 3X is some sort of "ghost settlement" below some exploratory mines...no stealing stuff, but the debris field is kinda nifty to go through. 4X is near the lead mine and Lippencott Rd. I wonder how passible the road is.

View attachment 140968

3 Stars are better at Racetrack too, but Thanksgiving is going to be cold at night (maybe windy and then it will be miserable).

View attachment 140970

It is more like Kuiper Belt objects than the inner planets...at least that is what I have read.
Great shots Mr. Doof.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Have only gone in summer for stars.

Spring is gonna be chilly, but if you got the gear.....

You can do a week there if you are hiking and camping, car camping though might be a little boring for a week but it depends on your outlook.

By the way, intersection of 375 and 318 NV has a warm spring that reminds me (somewhat) of the spring in Florida with mermaid shows, and down from that on 93 are some great hotsprings.

PS

One of our favorite lunch spots...looking SW:View attachment 140966

Looking NE:
View attachment 140967

Edit:

1 Isn't Tree of Life in Washington, not Oregon?

2 Racetrack over Amboy. Beside, on the way to Racetrack, you can stop at Ubehebe Crater for similar 'Amboy Crater' type hike/experience. For greatness of the sublime type, on the way to the Racetrack stop of 1X and follow ephemeral trail to the Wall at 2X. Go on Google Earth and look for the trail. 3X is some sort of "ghost settlement" below some exploratory mines...no stealing stuff, but the debris field is kinda nifty to go through. 4X is near the lead mine and Lippencott Rd. I wonder how passible the road is.

View attachment 140968

3 Stars are better at Racetrack too, but Thanksgiving is going to be cold at night (maybe windy and then it will be miserable).

View attachment 140970

It is more like Kuiper Belt objects than the inner planets...at least that is what I have read.
Thanks for the tips.

And, yeah, there are so many other objects in the solar system bigger than Pluto. I think one of the other reasons was that a planet has to clear its orbit.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I just got reservations for the Upper Pines campground, Yosemite, for Spring break .:applause2: For years we have been going every summer to Tuolumne Meadows in the summer, but since Covid it's been closed and they've decided to do a major restoration and it is closed until 2025. Also my daughter has never seen the waterfalls full (by summer most are pretty depleted).

The window for reservations opened this morning at 7:00 am. I had everything done, site and dates selected, actually had two windows opened for two different sites and literally had my hand on the mouse, waiting for the clock to hit 7:00.

6:58, 6:59...the clock hit 7:00 and I clicked...

and got a "Sorry..." message. I was like, WTF!? And quickly selected the other site. Sorry. Tried two more. Sorry. By this time the available sites had almost all disappeared. Scrolling down I saw one last block of 6 nights and clicked and was successful. Damn.

When they say reservations fill up in seconds they aren't kidding. It actually fills up in a fraction of a second. Someone's reaction time was faster than mine.

Crazy :crazy2:

• Wow
Reactions: ghostshaper

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
I just got reservations for the Upper Pines campground, Yosemite, for Spring break .:applause2: For years we have been going every summer to Tuolumne Meadows in the summer, but since Covid it's been closed and they've decided to do a major restoration and it is closed until 2025. Also my daughter has never seen the waterfalls full (by summer most are pretty depleted).

The window for reservations opened this morning at 7:00 am. I had everything done, site and dates selected, actually had two windows opened for two different sites and literally had my hand on the mouse, waiting for the clock to hit 7:00.

and got a "Sorry..." message. I was like, WTF!? And quickly selected the other site. Sorry. Tried two more. Sorry. By this time the available sites had almost all disappeared. Scrolling down I saw one last block of 6 nights and clicked and was successful. Damn.

When they say reservations fill up in seconds they aren't kidding. It actually fills up in a fraction of a second. Someone's reaction time was faster than mine.

From 2017

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
From 2017

Bots are faster than humans? Next time I'm clicking the mouse at 6:59:59. Give the signal time to get there. I'm afraid if I do it at 6:59:58 the window might not be open and then you've blown your chance.

Reactions: Mr Doof

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA

At first, it was/weird for me to deal with this reservation thing for camping. Never needed to do any of that back in Oregon unless you were going somewhere on the 4th of July or something. Now...well, it is what happens where there are 8 billion of us on this fine planet.

Anyway, recently snowed in Yosemite (hope this image loads):

PS
Once tried snow camping in Desolation Wilderness and it was pretty fun to go tromping about on snowshoes. Didn't get to where we wanted due to lack of fitness/underestimating the snowshoe calorie needs, but we got far enough in that we didn't see anyone for three days. Got some dusting on last day, which sort of scared me as the idea was to mainly rely on our footprints first, compass 2nd, but thankfully, Sweetie-pie she was plenty familiar with the area and didn't have any trouble getting back to to the trailhead. Oh, bring some some good books and deck of cards for the tent time and extra batteries.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
In my 20s, camped by myself in the snow on the eastern side of the Sierras over Tioga Pass. First storm of the winter rolled in AFTER I hiked into the backcountry and set up camp. This was shitty nokia brick phone days in late 90s.

Woke up next morning, opened the tent which had about a 6" of fresh snow on the ground. Looked at the ground and saw fresh mountain lion tracks going right across the front of the tent. Packed up that morning and hiked right back out. :roflmao:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
In my 20s, camped by myself in the snow on the eastern side of the Sierras over Tioga Pass. First storm of the winter rolled in AFTER I hiked into the backcountry and set up camp. This was shitty nokia brick phone days in late 90s.

Woke up next morning, opened the tent which had about a 6" of fresh snow on the ground. Looked at the ground and saw fresh mountain lion tracks going right across the front of the tent. Packed up that morning and hiked right back out. :roflmao:
This happened to a friend of mine at the end of June one year, minus the mountain lion.

• Wow
Reactions: r32

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010

Packed up? I’d have left the sh!t there and beat feet.

• Haha
Reactions: keenfish

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13

reminds me of when we used to camp at san elijo with a big group. So much of a pain in the ass we just gave up eventually. I had it down pretty good by having the time and date clock on another computer while I had my finger on the reserve button.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
So we have camping reservations in Yosemite Valley in three weeks. The Valley has been closed most of the winter due to heavy snow. They just opened the roads, but Wawona Road is still closed (southern entrance). Hopefully in three weeks it will thaw somewhat. Anyone have tips for camping in the snow? We bought a "little buddy" heater for the van. Might not have the proper footwear. Someone told us to get slip on crampons. Is that really necessary ? We may end up being "bottom dwellers" and just walk around the valley...

Last edited:

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
So we have camping reservations in Yosemite Valley in three weeks. The Valley has been closed most of the winter due to heavy snow. They just opened the roads, but Wagon Road is still closed (southern entrance). Hopefully in three weeks it will thaw somewhat. Anyone have tips for camping in the snow? We bought a "little buddy" heater for the van. Might not have the proper footwear. Someone told us to get slip on crampons. Is that really necessary ? We may end up being "bottom dwellers" and just walk around the valley...
My Son andI sat in the valley below El Cap and watched Free Solo a couple times.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
The valley is gonna become a swamp in a few weeks, until July.
Nothing but snow showers in the long range forecast. We might look for alternatives. Cold wet and muddy does not sound like a recipe for a good family camp trip.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Nothing but snow showers in the long range forecast. We might look for alternatives. Cold wet and muddy does not sound like a recipe for a good family camp trip.

Consider Wishon Reservoir area. Everything east of dam is free camping and plenty of good spots. Waterfall on west side of lake is easily accessible from road and waterfall on east side is a solid trail hike.

Courtright Reservoir is nearby and equally impressive, with trails all the around the lake, and huge granite domes to hike up. Campgrounds can be reserved.

Wishon

1679950621391.png

Courtright

1679950567988.png

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
  • Haha