Official ....Lost custom order thread

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
The custom boards have order #'s that are linked to a file file. you can replicate or teak based on that file. Unless you are talking about something different, like off the rack. Not sure about that..

BTW if one minds waiting, the C4 is built in FL. I think they cut the blank in CA and ship it there for Drew to finish then it goes to its destination. Takes a while
Drew's Lost boards are cut by Shane in Edgewater FL , he cuts the C.I.'s as well that Ken White builds here .

Drew's process doesn't take very long once ordered , he's very efficient .

Reactions: Havoc and chilly1

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
Not to derail the thread... but what is the thought process of ordering a board thru ...lost, CI or Rusty?
The blank goes through a machine and is fine tuned by someone other than Matt, Al or Rusty. Wouldn't be surprised if the signatures are the boards are forged as well. And I'm not singling out these three... it could be from any well-known shaper who has ghost shapers.

So what's the deal? Are you buying one of their boards based on marketing? Why not just print a picture of the board you want along with the dims to your local shaper? You have the benefit of not only supporting a local, but also getting feedback when they see you surf. They can also tweak the board to work on your local breaks. Has always worked for me.

But like another said, I have no desire to give Matt business. Whatever.
I think the big labels have the ability to dial in shapes over multiple iterations before releasing them to the public. They’re not as sensitive to the costs of materials, etc as the guy down the street. By the time they launch a model it has likely been thoroughly tested and proven by multiple riders.

second, many of the ghost shapers at the big labels are extremely competent shapers themselves

Reactions: Havoc

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
It's 2020, even the most rudimentary business has the ability to track an order on a computer. It's sort of the minimum requirement to run a business.

Quick Google search, Lost does 2.2 million in revenue. They could track a custom order properly if they wanted to.

I've seen Matt pull up CAD drawings on his laptop at a shapers night and tweak a board with a customer sitting next to him. Just hard to understand why customs are so difficult from them post order.

Lots of smaller shapers seem to be able to deal with this no sweat. Can only conclude that they aren't really a priority and likely a very small and not very lucrative portion of their business.

You'd be surprised. Shaping HQ doesn't look anything close to FoxCon (closer to a bunch of garage builders with some machines in the same location from what I saw) and I doubt there are a bunch of MBAs running around crunching numbers to increase efficiency.

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
It's 2020, even the most rudimentary business has the ability to track an order on a computer. It's sort of the minimum requirement to run a business.

Quick Google search, Lost does 2.2 million in revenue. They could track a custom order properly if they wanted to.

I've seen Matt pull up CAD drawings on his laptop at a shapers night and tweak a board with a customer sitting next to him. Just hard to understand why customs are so difficult from them post order.

Lots of smaller shapers seem to be able to deal with this no sweat. Can only conclude that they aren't really a priority and likely a very small and not very lucrative portion of their business.
I have family that own a surfshop. Matt told them he wants retail shops to handle the custom orders. The local shop interfacing with the local person. That can mean a lot when other brands are trying to squeeze out the shop, up their margins, and go direct to consumer. Having said that, i agree a customer should be able to track past custom dims ordered.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Current wait time is 10 -12 weeks.

I wonder why they seem to run their custom order service out of Florida?
Catalyst shops in FL too, maybe more technologically adept folks over that way to handle the internet communication. Your board still being built in CA, Mayham will sign off before its released.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
BTW if you're looking for a top-tier shaper with good customer experience order from Pyzel Hawaii.
EA is a good man too, had the pleasure of meeting and chatting with him upon receipt of a custom a few years back. Seems like he understands the importance of good customer relations.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Not buying it, a stock standard PU going for nearly 700 USD. Has to be significantly more than that. 3150 boards @ 700, that’s all they’re moving per year?

Reactions: chilly1

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Surfboards are still generally a cash business...no mystery with those numbers.

Having worked at shop that dealt with a lot of lost customs - it was also impossible for an employee/manager/shop owner to get information (or even a call back a lot of the time). It was frustrating being the middle man in a broken operation.

I ended up ordering a decent number of losts myself. Had some good ones. But also a few that weren't very good. Overall, I'd say they're by far the most inconsistent as far as the big names go. Not just in fulfilling orders, but also the overall feel of the boards. It might be due to all the different models/variations. Could also be due to a lot of different ghost shapers. They do have some of the best ghost shapers, and they might be given a little more latitude than at some other companies. I just notice that sometimes the same model feels pretty damn different with Lost.

I think the other big names do a better job with consistency and having shapes with defining characteristics. Just going by what I'm familiar with, I think I could pick up logo less Pyzels, CIs, MCs, Timmy Pattersons, xanadus or JSs and know what brand/shaper made them (someone asked why we buy certain brands - this is why). Besides a somewhat characteristic nose flip on some shortboards, Losts seem all over the place and don't really have that common thread. Not sure I'm explaining well - or maybe this isn't important to most surfers. But I like to know what I'm getting and be confident I'm getting a consistent product. Also, just might as well mention, the good smaller guys definitely have this going on. Two guys whose boards I like - Bulkley and Griffin shape a shitload of diff models but their boards have a consistent/unique/characteristic feel that goes across all models.

cjs2002

Nep status
Jan 24, 2008
a lot of their older models are only through custom order. i ordered through catalyst and they quoted 8 weeks which was fine at the time. after 8 weeks i contacted them and they said that they "lost" my order (no pun intended). But then they had it to me in 2 weeks from that point. all in all not too bad but could be better

Reactions: JDJ

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
a lot of their older models are only through custom order. i ordered through catalyst and they quoted 8 weeks which was fine at the time. after 8 weeks i contacted them and they said that they "lost" my order (no pun intended). But then they had it to me in 2 weeks from that point. all in all not too bad but could be better
So they can make a board in two weeks.

But they don’t.

Because they don’t care.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Have no idea if those numbers are accurate, as I said it was a quick Google. I'd assume they aren't getting $700/board as the shops have a markup but in any case I'm sure the boards are a rounding error on their T-Shirt and clothing profits.

My only point was they make enough money as a company to afford a simple tracking system beyond fax and pray.

I'd have to concur with the assessment that they don't give a sh!t based on how they treat customs.

I'd still buy one off the rack if they made something I liked or go custom through a smaller shaper with better service.

Reactions: mundus

ciscojaws

Michael Peterson status
Jul 28, 2008
Kook City, VA
I'm always amazed at how bro'd out surfing is and how stoked we are as paying customers that our customs come out only a few weeks past the time it was originally quoted.

This isn't an attack on you cjs2002, your post just highlighted this. We're all guilty of it.

cjs2002

Nep status
Jan 24, 2008
I'm always amazed at how bro'd out surfing is and how stoked we are as paying customers that our customs come out only a few weeks past the time it was originally quoted.

This isn't an attack on you cjs2002, your post just highlighted this. We're all guilty of it.
yeah i hear ya...it just comes with the territory of loving surfing and surfboards :)

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I wonder how many of the snafus are shop fckps.

My boss likes Firewires and it took weeks. I am not sure if he got it because he asked in person stopping by to get his kids something, or if one of the surfers recognized him and checked in the back of his own accord, but he wasn't called, and in hindsight, he was pissed he didn't just drive down to Brevard County and get it himself. I also wonder about shipping. Your board you ordered through the shop is done in time for your August surf trip. It shows in mid-November because nobody wanted to eat a wooden nickel in shipping and it waited until the Christmas boards came in.

I love catalyst's blem/sale selection. I'd order a C4 or Black Dart through Drew in a heartbeat.

For what a poly costs I'm going local all day without question.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

Im not guilty of it. I don’t tolerate it.

Tell me the truth about how long it will take and I will decide if that’s ok. But if you tell me 6 weeks and it takes 10 then you just gave me 50% off.

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
Im not guilty of it. I don’t tolerate it.

Tell me the truth about how long it will take and I will decide if that’s ok. But if you tell me 6 weeks and it takes 10 then you just gave me 50% off.
My Stamps sat at his shippers for 3 weeks. Apparently they just stuck it in the corner and forgot about it. Not Tim's fault. he paid for shipping anyway, at least $100 to NJ

Reactions: Havoc and oeste858

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
My Stamps sat at his shippers for 3 weeks. Apparently they just stuck it in the corner and forgot about it. Not Tim's fault. he paid for shipping anyway, at least $100 to NJ
Im a business owner. When something happens that negatively affects the services my clients hire me for that’s on me to make it right. They hired me.

If the issue is the fault of my supplier or a subcontractor I take the responsibility with the client.

I will try to recoup any losses from my subs.