Official ....Lost custom order thread

Jul 5, 2009
I'm liking the Sub Driver a bit more than the Driver TBH which I'm having a bit of trouble connecting with and which recently suffered a buckled nose after only the third session.

As long as your Sub Driver is normal shortboard dims then yes it can definitely hold/work in better waves. It's obviously not as maneuverable or sensitive as a Driver, but it can still hold its own in good surf, and I've never failed to have a good time on one in good conditions.

I've always ordered Sub Drivers in normal shortboard dims (5'11 x 19.25 x 19.38) so definitely not a full-on grovel board. When you look at the two boards side by side, you can see the Sub Driver definitely has less rocker, a bit more tail width, a very slight amount of additional volume in the nose, and slightly boxier rails in the last 12". Nothing that would really keep it from being manageable in good waves.

Those key ingredients definitely open things up in small waves though.
Ah gotcha, thank you for the quick reply!

Yeah, in that case, I think I'm most likely going to pull the trigger on the sub driver if the difference is really not that big in good waves. Sorry to hear about your buckle btw, I know how heartbreaking that can be :/ Thank you again!

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Ah gotcha, thank you for the quick reply!

Yeah, in that case, I think I'm most likely going to pull the trigger on the sub driver if the difference is really not that big in good waves. Sorry to hear about your buckle btw, I know how heartbreaking that can be :/ Thank you again!
If you're going the custom route be thoughtful about thickness. I once ordered a sub driver at 2.5" and it came out with baseball rails. My current sub driver is 2.38". I think it would be ok to go up to 2.44" but that is going to feel like a board that is 2.5" - 2.56" IMO.

Jul 5, 2009
If you're going the custom route be thoughtful about thickness. I once ordered a sub driver at 2.5" and it came out with baseball rails. My current sub driver is 2.38". I think it would be ok to go up to 2.44" but that is going to feel like a board that is 2.5" - 2.56" IMO.
Thank you Kool-aid, that sounds like a great idea! I bumped up my thickness on my driver 2.0 too and it came out a lot thicker than I had anticipated too! probably will be keeping maybe the 19 for width and get something close to yours or 5/16 for thickness. I'm about 5'8-9 155lbs.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I'm worried. I bumped a board up by .25". Welp. I'll see what it looks like when it gets here.