Official ....Lost custom order thread

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
Yeah, I talked to Lovelace about getting a sooper snake and he straight said 6 moths. At least he was honest.

CI takes 6-8 weeks for most people.

The last custom CI I got was 5 weeks.
honesty is the main thing

don’t quote a short time frame just to get my order and then deliver it way late with no explanation

that’s just basic customer service

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
It’s sad that shapers can’t seem to come out of the customer experience dark ages and act like it so hard.

They spend all this money supporting pros, developing new models and distributing them through dealers across the world only to lose the customer once they try and order a custom and it comes out wrong several months later.

I’d love to sit down with a handful of shapers and educate them on service delivery.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I have no problem waiting 6 months for a board if they tell me at the beginning it's going to be 6 months. At least I have the choice to proceed with the order or not. I also don't have a problem if I get quoted 2 months and it's a couple weeks late. Sh!t happens and it's a custom board. There should be some leeway, IMO.

I do have a problem when timelines start getting pushed a month or more late. That's my line in the sand and everyone has there own. For some waiting two months for a custom is unacceptable. Same with having it done even one day late. I think these are the type of people that should just buy off the rack.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Lost usually have two sets of dims, sometimes three for each model: pros and bros, and then they list the dims ridden by various team riders.

If someone doesn’t want to order custom, don’t. There’s no shortage of boards on the rack. Also, if the wait is too long, there are shapers, like Kazuma, who turn around boards in a matter of days.

Last edited:
Reactions: Havoc

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
I inquired about ordering one through a shop, and they told me that Mayhem doesn't keep digital records. Your order is on the shop deposit receipt and a handwritten order form in triplicate. Fine if you are ordering from a local shaper, but the largest surfboard manufacturer in the world?
The custom boards have order #'s that are linked to a file file. you can replicate or teak based on that file. Unless you are talking about something different, like off the rack. Not sure about that..

BTW if one minds waiting, the C4 is built in FL. I think they cut the blank in CA and ship it there for Drew to finish then it goes to its destination. Takes a while

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
It’s sad that shapers can’t seem to come out of the customer experience dark ages and act like it so hard.

They spend all this money supporting pros, developing new models and distributing them through dealers across the world only to lose the customer once they try and order a custom and it comes out wrong several months later.

I’d love to sit down with a handful of shapers and educate them on service delivery.
I dunno. Given the sheer number/variety of models they offer, and from many of these posts, it just sounds to me like their business model is mass production of stock boards rather than customs. They clearly prefer you to "customize" your board choice from their existing models and multiple sets of HP/bro/domesticated dims. Their shapers spend their time on the customs for their huge team of pros, who then market & sell the board models to the gen pop with all the relentless & well-coordinated PR, social media, etc. It sounds like custom orders for Joe Shmo go to the bottom of the pile, and get done whenever they have time. Just my impression from an outside observer. The boards obviously work for a lot of people, but personally, I've never been that interested in buying one, just don't dig their whole vibe.

Last edited:

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I've been happy with the few customs I've ordered. Wait times were about what they promised. One board came back with a blemish that they reshaped and expedited quickly.

You could have ordered yours from Clairemont and you most likely would have talked to someone who could steer you in the right direction the most, aside from actually talking to matt.

Last lost I ordered was from shapers night and it came out great.

Reactions: Aruka and ciscojaws

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
My experience was basically fax and pray.

They seem to know how to use a computer to post on social media and to control their shaping machines but tracking orders on one using a very basic system is beyond their abilities.

This isn't the guy in his garage down the street. They are one of the largest surfboard producers in the world.

Reactions: Ifallalot

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
My experience was basically fax and pray.

They seem to know how to use a computer to post on social media and to control their shaping machines but tracking orders on one using a very basic system is beyond their abilities.

This isn't the guy in his garage down the street. They are one of the largest surfboard producers in the world.
You'd be surprised. Shaping HQ doesn't look anything close to FoxCon (closer to a bunch of garage builders with some machines in the same location from what I saw) and I doubt there are a bunch of MBAs running around crunching numbers to increase efficiency.

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
Not to derail the thread... but what is the thought process of ordering a board thru ...lost, CI or Rusty?
The blank goes through a machine and is fine tuned by someone other than Matt, Al or Rusty. Wouldn't be surprised if the signatures are the boards are forged as well. And I'm not singling out these three... it could be from any well-known shaper who has ghost shapers.

So what's the deal? Are you buying one of their boards based on marketing? Why not just print a picture of the board you want along with the dims to your local shaper? You have the benefit of not only supporting a local, but also getting feedback when they see you surf. They can also tweak the board to work on your local breaks. Has always worked for me.

But like another said, I have no desire to give Matt business. Whatever.

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
Not to derail the thread... but what is the thought process of ordering a board thru ...lost, CI or Rusty?
The blank goes through a machine and is fine tuned by someone other than Matt, Al or Rusty. Wouldn't be surprised if the signatures are the boards are forged as well. And I'm not singling out these three... it could be from any well-known shaper who has ghost shapers.

So what's the deal? Are you buying one of their boards based on marketing? Why not just print a picture of the board you want along with the dims to your local shaper? You have the benefit of not only supporting a local, but also getting feedback when they see you surf. They can also tweak the board to work on your local breaks. Has always worked for me.

But like another said, I have no desire to give Matt business. Whatever.

I somewhat agree with your point which is why I get boards from guys like Xanadu, T Patterson and Stamps who are world class shapers but still finish all their boards. However the point can be made that a board produced by a machine has already had its most important design characteristics built into the blank before the ghost shaper touches it. I think a finish shaper can certainly ruin a board but most are competent and know what the master shaper wants for each model. Getting a local shaper to copy someone else's design you are less likely to get a copy of the original design. Albeit the local shaper version may actually work better for you if its tweaked for local waves and your ability. Even though its pure marketing sometimes it is reassuring to see a design pushed to its limits by a pro so you know whats possible with the board before shelling out a bunch of cash.

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
I appreciate the thought you put into your post Ted. The shapers that you mentioned are indeed world class and much more likely to have put that their hands on a board ordered/shaped than the shapers mentioned above. When the Roberts White Diamond 3 came out, I printed out a picture of it and gave it to my shaper, who has been shaping since 1970, and has watched me surf for 20 years. The board works great.

Sorry, but I'm gonna say it - some of you riding big name labels aren't that good and would be just as good riding a local shaper's board. Don't buy into the marketing. Better yet, shape your own board once.

I somewhat agree with your point which is why I get boards from guys like Xanadu, T Patterson and Stamps who are world class shapers but still finish all their boards. However the point can be made that a board produced by a machine has already had its most important design characteristics built into the blank before the ghost shaper touches it. I think a finish shaper can certainly ruin a board but most are competent and know what the master shaper wants for each model. Getting a local shaper to copy someone else's design you are less likely to get a copy of the original design. Albeit the local shaper version may actually work better for you if its tweaked for local waves and your ability. Even though its pure marketing sometimes it is reassuring to see a design pushed to its limits by a pro so you know whats possible with the board before shelling out a bunch of cash.