***Official FIRES thread***

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
People smoke cigarrettes. They do it, even though they know the risks.

You have a catastrophic, life changing event. You don't want to sit around, dwelling on it. You want to step in and get the healing process moving forward. A simple thing like cleanup. Maybe something that survived in that cleanup is precious to you. If you don't do it, sift through the rubble. You'll never know.

Why_was_I_banned

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 5, 2020
Why are you builders building such toxic houses of horror in the first place? "Hey Rick, roll another coat of lead-based paint on there and we'll pound a sixer!"
Lots has changed over the years. I can't tell you how many empties I find under houses. That is unheard of now.

Also radios. KMET used to blast from all radios on L.A. jobsites. Loud enough to hear over the skil saw.

I just saw the first jobsite in a while with a radio blasting. The super must have been off site.

Why_was_I_banned

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 5, 2020
People smoke cigarrettes. They do it, even though they know the risks.

You have a catastrophic, life changing event. You don't want to sit around, dwelling on it. You want to step in and get the healing process moving forward. A simple thing like cleanup. Maybe something that survived in that cleanup is precious to you. If you don't do it, sift through the rubble. You'll never know.
It's all about the feels with you trumpies, isn't it.

By the way, nobody is going to stop a person from looking through the remains.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Lots has changed over the years. I can't tell you how many empties I find under houses. That is unheard of now.

Also radios. KMET used to blast from all radios on L.A. jobsites. Loud enough to hear over the skil saw.

I just saw the first jobsite in a while with a radio blasting. The super must have been off site.
KMET? I would hear um pa pa ranchera music at jobsites. Of course I'm thinking of Pico Union.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
New spot fire detected near Mineral King.
Sequoia NP closed due to SQF Complex.
Yosemite NP closed due to smoke from Creek Fire.

SQF Complex Fire still growing and destroy parts of Sequoia NP.

Creek Fire still growing, mostly in north direction. Now at southern boundary of Yosemite.

Took the fire map and overlaid the National Park maps to approximate scale. You can see where the fires at in relation to your favorite hiking spots. So many magical spots are getting torched right now. Spots I grew up exploring and have enjoyed my entire life. Tough year for sure, but we got to keep our head up and stay positive! There are many more magical spots to find in a lifetime.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
New spot fire detected near Mineral King.
Sequoia NP closed due to SQF Complex.
Yosemite NP closed due to smoke from Creek Fire.

SQF Complex Fire still growing and destroy parts of Sequoia NP.

Creek Fire still growing, mostly in north direction. Now at southern boundary of Yosemite.
Dolan fire moving east, Away from the coast. All of our longtime spots may still be there. Maybe there is a God. Willow Creek has the energy. The old timers who live around it. Peace...

Reactions: the janitor

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Stick to payroll accounting. You are was waaaaay out of your lane.

As a certified lead mitigator, and a licensed building contractor, this is part of what I do. I guarantee you that a demo contractor will not be bringing that to a regular landfill/ recycling center.

I guarantee you, on the other end, that the little family cleaning their houses ashes will.

I guarantee you that the clean up contractor won't just pick it up with a bobcat, with no ppe and no dust mitigation, and just dump it in a dumpster.

My Brother-in-Law's roomie has family from the SC mountains. She spends a lot of time there.

Their house was spared, but they have no running water or electricity because the fire damaged all of the infrastructure. THey've relocated to their kid's place in LA.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

Baldo studied forestry at UC Berkeley in the 1970s and co-founded the Willits Redwood Co. sawmill, which initially processed thinnings salvaged as a byproduct of forest management activities but now buys high-quality redwood from scattered private property owners.

Baldo put it as a failure of his generation — “us 70 somethings” — for not taking a forward-looking approach to the forests that would have protected the old-growth forests, historic homesteads and communities from mega fires.

Baldo said the formula is clear: prescriptive fires, reducing undergrowth and taking bold steps as a country toward slowing the pace of climate change.

“We have all the money, all the college degrees, all the power in Sacramento and Washington, and we can't agree on what is reality and how to make decisions, however difficult, that benefit future generations and the planet,“ Baldo said.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
HWY 1 open n to s from
Monterey to Gorda now.
it’s gonna be a sad trip driving that route for a while seeing it all blackened.LPNF still closed, as well as the campgrounds so not much to do but drive the hwy at this point.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Creek fire still raging north and has reached Yosemite NP. Nowhere near the valley yet, so all is good. But Yosemite remains closed, to all recreation. Through-traffic is allowed but you must remain in your vehicle.

Nearest Yosemite site in danger of getting torched is the Mariposa Grove. But those giant sequoias give zero-fucks for forest fire. They've been there for over 2000 years.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: JBerry and afoaf