***Official FIRES thread***

Why_was_I_banned

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 5, 2020

I'm seeing more and more of this.
I've seen 1 foundation with those. Id be nervous about EPS foam on the exterior. Lots of mold lawsuits with the EFIS stucco system. My liability insurance specifically excludes it.

Why_was_I_banned

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 5, 2020
I've heard those work well. I've also heard that half the time it doesn't matter because the fire burns so hot it just cooks the whole house.
That's just the last line of defense against blown embers. It's part of a bigger plan of keeping combustsbles at a distsnce.

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
What has changed in your area in the 40+ years you’ve lived there? Insight on why?
Where I live is a mixture of open grasslands and timber. In the 50s and 60s the old growth doug fir was basically clear cut and in this climate (lots of rain in the winter), along with this geology, basically Franciscan Melange which moves a lot, the '55 and '64 floods did a lot of damage to the South Fork Eel watershed. To the point that the Eel River has silted in and will recover maybe in a 1000 years. There used to be beautiful deep pools all along the river but sadly they're now filled in. Anyway, what has come in after the clearcutting has been lots of Tan Oak, Huckleberry brush, poison oak, that sorta thing. All very flammable. So the changes I've seen around here aren't necessarily related to climate change, they're more related to human activity. But what has happened has been that since the logging where everything was trashed by running dozers all over the place has now filled in with the aforementioned stuff. In this area the tourist tree is the Redwood but you don't see any old growth fir forests. BLM has an 80 acre parcel up here that is old growth fir and it's spectacular. The huckleberry bushes are old growth! I'm sure that's what this whole area looked like for thousands of years.
I'm a big fan of ICFs...my wife and I just finished our house built with ICFs--they're made by Faswall. They are a block that looks like a standard CMU but they're made of ground up pallets, concrete and fly ash. We tried to light one on fire with a torch and couldn't do it. So we have 37 yards of concrete in our walls plus a bunch of steel. Then stuccoed on the outside. Fire proof.DSCN0206.JPG

Why_was_I_banned

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 5, 2020
Where I live is a mixture of open grasslands and timber. In the 50s and 60s the old growth doug fir was basically clear cut and in this climate (lots of rain in the winter), along with this geology, basically Franciscan Melange which moves a lot, the '55 and '64 floods did a lot of damage to the South Fork Eel watershed. To the point that the Eel River has silted in and will recover maybe in a 1000 years. There used to be beautiful deep pools all along the river but sadly they're now filled in. Anyway, what has come in after the clearcutting has been lots of Tan Oak, Huckleberry brush, poison oak, that sorta thing. All very flammable. So the changes I've seen around here aren't necessarily related to climate change, they're more related to human activity. But what has happened has been that since the logging where everything was trashed by running dozers all over the place has now filled in with the aforementioned stuff. In this area the tourist tree is the Redwood but you don't see any old growth fir forests. BLM has an 80 acre parcel up here that is old growth fir and it's spectacular. The huckleberry bushes are old growth! I'm sure that's what this whole area looked like for thousands of years.
I'm a big fan of ICFs...my wife and I just finished our house built with ICFs--they're made by Faswall. They are a block that looks like a standard CMU but they're made of ground up pallets, concrete and fly ash. We tried to light one on fire with a torch and couldn't do it. So we have 37 yards of concrete in our walls plus a bunch of steel. Then stuccoed on the outside. Fire proof.View attachment 97912
Those sound a lot better than the original EPS foam ones

Reactions: Aruka

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
Those sound a lot better than the original EPS foam ones
Yeah, I was gonna go with those...a buddy was a dealer for the Polysteel ones. But when you're working with them they leave little white poly pellets all over the place. The Faswall blocks can be worked with anything that cuts wood.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
In the local news here.

Santa Cruz county is not allowing fire victims to clean up their damaged/destroyed property on their own. Fire damaged materials will not be accepted at the local Santa Cruz county landfill.

That means all of these already harshed people are going to have to hire an approved, licensed contractor to clean up thier properties, with inspections, permits, ect, ect, ect. before they can even attempt to begin the process of rebuilding.

Pretty harsh. But it's not surprising.

Why_was_I_banned

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 5, 2020
In the local news here.

Santa Cruz county is not allowing fire victims to clean up their damaged/destroyed property on their own. Fire damaged materials will not be accepted at the local Santa Cruz county landfill.

That means all of these already harshed people are going to have to hire an approved, licensed contractor to clean up thier properties, with inspections, permits, ect, ect, ect. before they can even attempt to begin the process of rebuilding.

Pretty harsh. But it's not surprising.
Unbunch your panties for a second.

What do you think is in a burned down house? How much lead and asbestos? My friend the payroll clerk, do you know anything about what that stuff will do to a family, kids and all, picking through it, breathing it in?

What does it do to the landfill/ recycling workers, when they breath in clouds of it?

I invite you to huff a big breath of it through that bandana.

We can get to covid breathing after you put a fresh pair of knickers on.

Reactions: afoaf

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
So you wear a ventilator, rent a front loader or a bobcat, scoop it up and drop it in a dump truck. Some other bastard is going to do the exact same and charge you through your teeth for it. And the county will get their permit fees.

It's not going to be recycled. No poor landfill worker is going to be sifting through that sh!t....

• Dislike
Reactions: afoaf

Why_was_I_banned

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 5, 2020
So you wear a ventilator, rent a front loader or a bobcat, scoop it up and drop it in a dump truck. Some other bastard is going to do the exact same and charge you through your teeth for it. And the county will get their permit fees.

It's not going to be recycled. No poor landfill worker is going to be sifting through that sh!t....
Stick to payroll accounting. You are was waaaaay out of your lane.

As a certified lead mitigator, and a licensed building contractor, this is part of what I do. I guarantee you that a demo contractor will not be bringing that to a regular landfill/ recycling center.

I guarantee you, on the other end, that the little family cleaning their houses ashes will.

I guarantee you that the clean up contractor won't just pick it up with a bobcat, with no ppe and no dust mitigation, and just dump it in a dumpster.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

What do you think is in a burned down house? How much lead and asbestos?
Why are you builders building such toxic houses of horror in the first place? "Hey Rick, roll another coat of lead-based paint on there and we'll pound a sixer!"

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island

What do you think is in a burned down house? How much lead and asbestos? My friend the payroll clerk, do you know anything about what that stuff will do to a family, kids and all, picking through it, breathing it in?

What does it do to the landfill/ recycling workers, when they breath in clouds of it?

I invite you to huff a big breath of it through that bandana.

We can get to covid breathing after you put a fresh pair of knickers on.
LOL such irony

• Haha
Reactions: PRCD

Why_was_I_banned

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 5, 2020
Why are you builders building such toxic houses of horror in the first place? "Hey Rick, roll another coat of lead-based paint on there and we'll pound a sixer!"
Damn businessmen trying to shave I nickel.

Lead was taken out of paint in the '78. All lead was removed from pipe solder more recently. I think asbestos ended in the building industry in '89. It was finally banned in everything in 2019

Copper arsinate was banned in 2003

You live and learn.