*** Official Fin Thread ***

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Just chiming in to confirm what @Duffy LaCoronilla and others have already said. It's all about cant with the Plasmic. Compared my favorite twin set with some of the other less inspiring pairs I've tried lately, and TAs have way more cant. Compared TAs with the lauded Son of Cobra twins, and guess what: SAME CANT ANGLE!

Now time for a twin fin fire sale.

• Wow
Reactions: sdsrfr and oeste858

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Just chiming in to confirm what @Duffy LaCoronilla and others have already said. It's all about cant with the Plasmic. Compared my favorite twin set with some of the other less inspiring pairs I've tried lately, and TAs have way more cant. Compared TAs with the lauded Son of Cobra twins, and guess what: SAME CANT ANGLE!

Now time for a twin fin fire sale.
I took the TAs out of my AO and put in Orcas (they are extra cant also). Might put the TAs in the Plamic. Been running SOCs in there.

Reactions: bluengreen

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Anybody know of a place still selling the OG Christenson keels? Would like to get my hands on a backup set and looks like all the big retailers have moved over to the new version

1711561977023.png

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I finally got a moment toi go through my "surf box" this week and find all my old fins.
Current quiver
Big ol Hess quads
EA Controller Quads
a Pair of TP-G sides/fronts a la Duff
Some chewed up TP sides (I think I broke the front) that I keep in case of an emergency
Some absolute relics in the Vectors with 2 hatchets
Some old demo K-3s that went in the only FCS board I owned in the last 20 years

not pictured- The daily drivers AM2s and Roberts Thusters

IMG_7480.jpg
IMG_7485.jpgIMG_7487.jpgIMG_7483.jpg

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I finally got a moment toi go through my "surf box" this week and find all my old fins.
Current quiver
Big ol Hess quads
EA Controller Quads
a Pair of TP-G sides/fronts a la Duff
Some chewed up TP sides (I think I broke the front) that I keep in case of an emergency
Some absolute relics in the Vectors with 2 hatchets
Some old demo K-3s that went in the only FCS board I owned in the last 20 years

not pictured- The daily drivers AM2s and Roberts Thusters

View attachment 177112
View attachment 177113View attachment 177114View attachment 177115
my kid has the same sports car as yours.

Reactions: Bob Dobbalina

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Been riding my Mayhem/MR Cali Twin a lot lately .... twin plus trailer (futures) fin box setup. Been trying different fins with varying degrees of success but not quite finding a combination that feels like the magic setup. Today i think that may have changed .... rode it with the just the AMK keel fins .... waist to chest high lined up conditions and it went amazing. The speed and drive you'd expect from a keel but with the flex in the tips the turns off the bottom felt buttery and released easily coming off the top of the wave without losing speed ... felt more like an upright twin set. They are a hybrid i guess pretty tall for keels. The AMK's are also pretty large ... considerably larger than the K2's and the Lovelace Piggyback's that i have but i think with the front fin boxes a little further forward than a normal on the Cali Twin due to the twin + trailer setup ..... it balanced out and didn't feel like a trailer fin was needed even pushing hard on a few bottom turns.

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
Been riding my Mayhem/MR Cali Twin a lot lately .... twin plus trailer (futures) fin box setup. Been trying different fins with varying degrees of success but not quite finding a combination that feels like the magic setup. Today i think that may have changed .... rode it with the just the AMK keel fins .... waist to chest high lined up conditions and it went amazing. The speed and drive you'd expect from a keel but with the flex in the tips the turns off the bottom felt buttery and released easily coming off the top of the wave without losing speed ... felt more like an upright twin set. They are a hybrid i guess pretty tall for keels. The AMK's are also pretty large ... considerably larger than the K2's and the Lovelace Piggyback's that i have but i think with the front fin boxes a little further forward than a normal on the Cali Twin due to the twin + trailer setup ..... it balanced out and didn't feel like a trailer fin was needed even pushing hard on a few bottom turns.
I'm in the same boat as you, recently got a cali twin and haven been struggling with fins a bit. MRs feel fine but not magic, MF feel ok, power twins too stiff, BMTs (twin only) way too loose. I think I'm more of a twin than a 2+1 guy.... Have been debating whether to get a set of AMKs, now I will - thanks for the intel!

Reactions: flyinraptr

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I'm in the same boat as you, recently got a cali twin and haven been struggling with fins a bit. MRs feel fine but not magic, MF feel ok, power twins too stiff, BMTs (twin only) way too loose. I think I'm more of a twin than a 2+1 guy.... Have been debating whether to get a set of AMKs, now I will - thanks for the intel!
Seems odd that the MR boar is not designed around one of his twin templates.

Reactions: flyinraptr

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
A solid HH swell is expected tonight ... peaking tomorrow ..... will let you know how it goes with this setup.

Reactions: claw87

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
Seems odd that the MR boar is not designed around one of his twin templates.
It is ... the MR twin + traiiler setup ... only available in FCS. I have the MR Fin + trailer fins ... have used them in my Bulkley fish ... they have worked ok but nothing to get excited about. My MR/Lost Cali Twin has a futures setup ... have tired to emulate the MR Twin + trailer setup ... have gotten pretty close and it has worked ok but nothing special. In that i mean ... they felt stable, neutral. And it might be the twin + trailer setup in general ... have always preferred a straight twin setup. When i rode the board the other day with the AMK's it felt like the board came alive ... it was only one session .... hopefully tomorrow with a solid HH swell expected .... i'll get a better feel for the AMKs.

Reactions: claw87