*** Official FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 Discussion ***

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
American football is all about gambling. That's the attraction.

Ever try to bet on soccer? What's the over/under? 0.5. Uuuh... How much time's left? It's a secret that only the ref knows. Hard pass.
:roflmao::roflmao::poke:

Football you have the 'quiniela'... if you are the only one to hit all the games on any given week you will never again work a day in your life.

Try that for an over/under.

:dancing::crazy2::cheers::beer:

Bullnutts

Gerry Lopez status
Nov 14, 2004
Hawai'i
They should use that replay to monitor guys flopping and holding their head when they didn't even get hit in the head. Give them a yellow card for that. That type of BS ruins the game. look at me Mr. Ref. He hurt me real bad and I can't move/walk/get up. Then miraculously they are up and playing again when 1) Mr. Ref doesn't blow the whistle for a foul or 2)a yellow card is given out and I've had the whole stadium watching me flop around while the rest of my team gets a water break.
Other than that, I enjoy World Cup and Premier League futbol. MLS. That stuff sucks. Worse than the XFL. Though probably on par with the WNBA.

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
Jogo Bonito - Brasil are unstoppable when they play like Brasil.

It's a very big deal for Brasileiros to be the Best in the World at something other than official corruption, hyperinflation and social chaos and when they play like they did against South Korea ROK, they are -

It's up to every other side still in the competition to figure out how to beat them.

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, David, Chiriquí
So the reason the US hosted the 1994 World Cup is because they wanted to grow the sport. The US predicted they'd be world champions by (I don't really remember the year, but it didn't happen).
The Chinese say they'll be champions by 2050. That won't happen either. Countries that win this tournament have already won one. I guess at some point the Netherlands or Belgium deserve one, but futbol is not about deserving. Hell Spain only has one World Cup, and futbol runs in their veins!

Then, as crooked as futbol is, it is still very hard to influence the outcome of a game. For example, OK a referee gives you a freebee penalty, or 10 more aggregate minutes. Alright, but you still have to score!

The last World Cup Panama took a spot that should have been the Us's (and Panama sucks). There was like 1 in a million chance of that sht happening. Panama had to beat Costa Rica (which usually doesn't happen. when we tie them, is good enough for us), and Jamaica had to beat the US (I think Jamaica only won that game the whole qualifiers).

Sorry, this is not American football guys. We appreciate the beauty of the game and the opportunity to compete, but most of the time we lose, and that's why people are addicted to it. Because usually there's a slim chance that luck will come your way. But the US are doing good (for Concacaf)

Reactions: Northern_Shores

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
:computer:

There's for sure skill, chemistry, and scheme in soccer, but IMHO it's nothing like what goes into film study and play design in football.
I think I read once that other than the QB, the average IQ was highest among the linemen. Not only do they have to be giant athletic cave trolls, but they literally have to know every play, and every possible scheme the opposing team can throw at them, and what every other guy is doing, all in order for him to make the right block at the right time and enable the specialty player to make the play

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
The US predicted they'd be world champions by (I don't really remember the year, but it didn't happen).
Actually, they did - multiple times.

The United States has won the WOMEN'S World Cup four times — 1991, 1999, 2015 and 2019 — and reached the 2011 final, losing to Japan.

The US Men don't win anything at the international level - the Women are world-class.

https://www.teamusa.org/News/2019/July/10/A-Look-Back-At-All-The-History-The-USWNT-Made-In-The-World-Cup

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
That was a nice game, specially first half obviously. Glad Neymar is back, he is really important to move the middle field. But Korea is Korea. The bar will be set a little higher in the Quarters with Croatia but the real challenge comes in the Semis (if we win the next match) against either Argentina or Netherlands. If we get there, it's gonna be a tough game.

Reactions: JSC

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Spain vs Morrocc today could be a match with some consequences... if Spain wins, Morrocc will guaranteed open the gates for a weekend at Ceuta and Melilla.

Last time they did that was cause Spain offered medical assistance to a Saharaui Political leader. 23 dead trampled at the gates.

23 dead in Melilla stampede

:crazy2::crazy2::crazy2:

Last edited:
Reactions: paunch23

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I think I read once that other than the QB, the average IQ was highest among the linemen. Not only do they have to be giant athletic cave trolls, but they literally have to know every play, and every possible scheme the opposing team can throw at them, and what every other guy is doing, all in order for him to make the right block at the right time and enable the specialty player make the play
Yes the Center especially because they generally have to call out the scheme/assignments.