*** Official Corona Virus Thread ***

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
** Demand for food assistance in Hawaii skyrockets during COVID-19 crisis **

On Kauai's north shore, The Garden, in Kilauea (huge acreage) on Lighthouse Road is selling vegi's and fruit for $20.00 a box every day.I go twice a week. Banana's Bok Choy, mixed greens, baby carrots, cilantro, straight out of the ground. Cleaned and ready assorted items. They also have a portable refridg unit on wheels to keep vegi's fresh. Farm to table. Support the local farmers.

BUT, in the lower 48, farmers are plowing their food under because they can't sell there crops. WTF?? Give it away to your neighbors or food banks but to plow it under seems senseless even if there's no profit at the moment or sell it at a loss but Feed the people.
This is a very serious problem. With the restaurant and school closures, farmers, meat producers, egg and dairy producers, can't sell their products, so they are destroying them. The law of unintended consequences is going to run amuck. Evidently, our fearless leaders gave little or no thought to the broader consequences of shutting down all of these businesses and locking us down. I felt, as did many others, that the lockdowns were going to create havoc and that the cure was worse than the disease. That is now beginning to appear to be true. You can't plant a new crop and have it ready for market in a week. Severe food shortages are on the horizon, and the consequences of that are far worse than getting the virus.

This reckless social experiment threatens to plunge our society into chaos. It needs to end NOW.

Reactions: crustBrother

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
This reckless social experiment threatens to plunge our society into chaos. It needs to end NOW.
By ending this social experiment, you begin another one.

I don't get how you can be so confident that letting the viral outbreak burn through the society is the right choice.

I honestly don't know.

Abbot said he wants to open things up in Texas next week.

We'll see if you are right.

I hope you are.

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005

I don't get how you can be so confident that letting the viral outbreak burn through the society is the right choice.

I honestly don't know.

I hope you are.
Me too.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
I think a good compromise is to just let anyone interested and willing take the gamble to go back to regular life with the stipulation that if you get sick and require hospitalization, your insurance company will not cover the expense. They do this today for all kinds of things they don't want to pay for. Also if you are found to get someone else sick then your insurance covers their costs.Kind of like a car accident.

Or maybe you just don't get medical assistance if the hospitals are full, you become last on the list. You will be identified by your issued antibody tested "safe to work" pass. If the only problem out there that this has all been about is the health system capacity, I think it's seems like a fair compromise to get the country working again.

Is you medical insurance coverage worth more than your paycheck?
Most young and healthy adults now would say no..

The insurance companies should just step up and make the call and let businesses get back to work. They are already strapped with what has already and is happening out there with the Covid cases anf "free" Covid testing expenses.

I bet a huge portion of the population would be willing to take that risk

Take a risk, lose a privilege. Common sense and pragmatic law.

Reactions: One-Off

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I think a good compromise is to just let anyone interested and willing take the gamble to go back to regular life with the stipulation that if you get sick and require hospitalization, your insurance company will not cover the expense. They do this today for all kinds of things they don't want to pay for. Also if you are found to get someone else sick then your insurance covers their costs.Kind of like a car accident.

Or maybe you just don't get medical assistance if the hospitals are full, you become last on the list. You will be identified by your issued antibody tested "safe to work" pass. If the only problem out there that this has all been about is the health system capacity, I think it's seems like a fair compromise to get the country working again.

The insurance companies should just step up and make the call and let businesses get back to work. They are already strapped with what has already and is happening out there with the Covid cases anf "free" Covid testing expenses.

I don't think that the "hold harmless" should be with the insurance company, it should be with the employer. If I choose to go back to work and get sick, I agree that I can't sue the company for putting me in a dangerous position. I should still be able to use my insurance. Perhaps your premiums get adjusted or something. I don't know.

Because of the way that medical coverage and insurance coverage is organized for profit, public health already comes second to $$. That seems like something we should moving away from, rather than doubling down on.

Reactions: Aruka

bigtuna

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 29, 2010
NE
Someone posted this article in this thread and said “long but worth the read.” I want to second that - it gives a fair breakdown of what has happened so far and some decent insight into the future in the second half.

I notice a lot more of the conspiracy theorists / nay sayers are getting a lot more vocal now, ever since the projected death toll was lowered from 200k to 60k. People seem to be unable to understand what is happening, and they gravitate towards single sentence rhetorics that are powerful because that is the largest amount of information they can comprehend (I’m being serious). “It’s all bullshit,” “oh, i can tell you’re a scared one,” “it’s a hoax,” “bioweapon experiment gone wrong,” “the cure can’t be worse than the solution,” “states should have been prepared,” “America wasn’t meant to be shut down,” “it isn’t that bad here though.”

People can only think in these single sentence terms, the breadth of their thought capacity is completely consumed by those statements and they truly can not comprehend the big picture, of which an understanding is necessary to debunk those statements rooted in inaccuracy. It’s a plague sweeping over our country that is in fact worse than both the “cure” AND the “disease” at this point, and it will lead to poor decision making on BOTH fronts every day.

The article I linked to, which I stole from someone else, gives a pretty good breakdown of what the future could look like. It requires some effort in thought, as reading takes time. But it’s necessary to defeat the true enemy we face at this point - not the disease or economy, but stupidity. Lack of capacity to debate and lack of empathy, but less specifically, stupidity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aruka

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

I was thinking this was a good idea. But what about when they go home and infect others?

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
I was thinking this was a good idea. But what about when they go home and infect others?
Just make health insurance work like auto insurance or business insurance
The insurance company of who ever is liable covers the costs of the damaged party (death is an expensive cost though)
The business "safe harbor" liability and OSHA regulations will have to be changed as well as all the ADA regulations to deal with this new exposure.
It's not pretty but it'll work
People just have to start thinking out of the box.

Today if I'm a customer/visitor on site and get hurt like slipping on your sidewalk/wet bathroom or falling down your stairs or you spill scalding hot coffee on my lap or I get hepatitis or food poisoning from your food, I can sue the living daylights out of you. Sometimes insurance covers it sometimes not. Insurance is not covering the loss of revenue due to COVID unless some business had that explicitly written in and more importantly paid for which almost no one has. Same with flood insurance for some home owners or tornado insurance for home owners in Hawaii.

That's why everyone is saying things will never be the same
Because allot of things will have to change to get things working again

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
Someone posted this article in this thread and said “long but worth the read.” I want to second that - it gives a fair breakdown of what has happened so far and some decent insight into the future in the second half.

I notice a lot more of the conspiracy theorists / nay sayers are getting a lot more vocal now, ever since the projected death toll was lowered from 200k to 60k. People seem to be unable to understand what is happening, and they gravitate towards single sentence rhetorics that are powerful because that is the largest amount of information they can comprehend (I’m being serious). “It’s all bullshit,” “oh, i can tell you’re a scared one,” “it’s a hoax,” “bioweapon experiment gone wrong,” “the cure can’t be worse than the solution,” “states should have been prepared,” “America wasn’t meant to be shut down,” “it isn’t that bad here though.”

People can only think in these single sentence terms, the breadth of their thought capacity is completely consumed by those statements and they truly can not comprehend the big picture, of which an understanding is necessary to debunk those statements rooted in inaccuracy. It’s a plague sweeping over our country that is in fact worse than both the “cure” AND the “disease” at this point, and it will lead to poor decision making on BOTH fronts every day.

The article I linked to, which I stole from someone else, gives a pretty good breakdown of what the future could look like. It requires some effort in thought, as reading takes time. But it’s necessary to defeat the true enemy we face at this point - not the disease or economy, but stupidity. Lack of capacity to debate and lack of empathy, but less specifically, stupidity.
I agree
The only benefit of a lockdown is to try and stop community spread inorder to identify, isolate, and fence off the pockets or hots spots of infection so you can somehow manage it away from the areas not infected. We are doing this here in Hawaii. And it'll have to be done at an individual, family, group, business,, community and even city level. This involves shutting down transportation and movement of the infected from infected sites into healthy sites.

All to buy time till a vaccine can be developed and to reduce the impact the health system.
The rest of the world can operate in lieu of this being done.

The whole SARS2 ventilator issue reminds me of those giant tanks they stuck polio victims in, remember those? Some people never got out of them and the sight of them sacred the heck out of people not wanting to get polio and getting stuck in one of those. Coming as a child from the 50's to me this feels like polio2

There should be a globally funded initiative like a space race towards finding a vaccine. Billions should be thrown at that problem instead of bailing out the airlines. Because once you have a globally available vaccine everyone can get back to what they were doing before.

They should also be spending millions and billions on PPE, reagents and the required supplies/people in order to have quick, accurate and globally available testing for the virus.

Reactions: Kento and PPK96754

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY

I honestly don't know.

I hope you are.
Cuomo just said May 15th. Much of the country will watch what NYC does. Get delusional deblasio out of the way, hold fast a few more weeks and get back to work. Spring planting in the north east can begin on time, if it hasn't already in Jersey and the south. maybe the East is the country's food basket this summer and the north east alliance grows in stature and financial prowess.

Meanwhile i'm here on the Isle of Long Beach, hiding the rich farmers' wampum in the endless marshes in these parts, collecting 5%

Last edited: