*** Official Corona Virus Thread ***

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
Here, this article will set your mind at ease.

Blurb:

Every time you swallow a mouthful of seawater while swimming at the beach, you’re downing about as many viruses as there are people in North America.

However, despite the staggering abundance of marine viruses — and the key role that these infectious agents seem to play in global processes like the carbon cycle — scientists still know relatively little about the variety of viruses that are out there. In 2015 a team documented 5,476 distinct kinds of viruses in the ocean. In 2016 the same team updated its count to 15,222.

But in a study published today in Cell, that number skyrockets to 195,728 distinct viral populations, a more than twelvefold increase.
thanks. mind at ease.
its golf for me.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
A lot of people have a lot of trouble with these:

Proper handwashing is the most effective way to prevent illness
Practice good cough and sneeze etiquette

Being told to stay home, get a flu shot, and stay informed (i.e. read comments on paranoid YouTube videos) seem to be the easy ones.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
Get a flu Shot
It is currently flu and respiratory disease season and CDC recommends getting a flu vaccine, taking everyday preventive actions to help stop the spread of germs, and taking flu antivirals if prescribed.
Flu is a different virus and the shot isn't going help with corona. lower % of people die from flu than corona. corona is tracking at 2%-ish. Flu death rate is something like .001%

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
This is what I got from the mucky-mucks at my place of employment:

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Cases of novel coronavirus in the Bay Area remain low and the risk to the general public is also currently low. However, the global picture is changing rapidly and we need to be prepared.

Everyone can do their part to help us respond to this emerging public health threat. The CDC recommends:
  • Proper handwashing is the most effective way to prevent illness
Regularly wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds and regularly use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60-95% alcohol.
  • Stay home when you're sick
Employees who have symptoms of acute respiratory illness are recommended to stay home and not come to work until they are free of fever (100.4° F [37.8° C] or greater using an oral thermometer), signs of a fever, and any other symptoms for at least 24 hours, without the use of fever-reducing or other symptom-altering medicines (e.g. cough suppressants).
  • Practice good cough and sneeze etiquette
Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash. If you don’t have a tissue, cough or sneeze into your upper sleeve, not your hands. Sneeze or cough into your arm.
  • Get a flu Shot
It is currently flu and respiratory disease season and CDC recommends getting a flu vaccine, taking everyday preventive actions to help stop the spread of germs, and taking flu antivirals if prescribed.
  • Stay informed
For up-to-date information regarding the Coronavirus, see the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) website, the California Department of Public Health website and the San Francisco Public Health Department website. Please see the CDC fact sheet on the novel coronavirus attached to this email.

As a precautionary step, I have asked staff to prepare an appendix to the continuity of operations plan to include preparation for a pandemic or for any situation that could impact our normal flow of business operations in the future. Please note that Human Resources will be testing the Omnilert emergency communications system soon to remind us all to update the system with our current contact information.

In the event local authorities, health departments or school districts decide to take action as a result of the virus, staff should protect themselves and their families by following their instructions. In those circumstances staff should check in with their individual supervisors regarding work, leave and scheduling as soon as possible. There are currently no plans to alter our work schedules or activities due to the novel coronavirus.

+++++++++++++++++++++
Same here. Idiotic panic

The health and welfare of our team around the world is our top priority. Coronavirus (COVID-19) continues to spread around the world. Thus, we are taking some proactive and precautionary measures to ensure the wellbeing of all our workforce.

Based on the latest information, as set forth below, is tracking and implementing guidance and recommendations by the CDC:

Business travel guidance

• Effective immediately, we are implementing business travel restrictions to and from countries identified by the State Department and/or the CDC as significantly impacted by COVID-19 (currently these countries include China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand, Iran, Vietnam, Japan and Italy). If there is critical business travel, an exception to this restriction must be pre-approved by Head of Employee Relations.
  • Employees may not travel to or from any of these restricted countries for business until further notice. We will continue to monitor the travel safety conditions worldwide and will make updates to this plan as necessary.

Personal travel guidance

• If you have personal travel booked to any of these locations, we encourage you to exercise judgment on whether to make the trip.
  • If you have recently traveled to or connected through any of the locations, or plan to travel or connect through any of these locations, and upon your return home you:
    • Have a fever, cough and/or difficulty breathing: Call your doctor immediately and do not come into the office. As soon as possible notify your manager. Managers who receive a call of this nature should advise their Human Resources Business Partner to ensure further health and safety measures are taken if appropriate. You must provide medical clearance from your doctor to Human Resources before returning to work.
    • Have NO symptoms: You will be required to work from home for 14 days before returning to the office. Please speak with HR regarding this arrangement; HR will coordinate with you to help us stay informed about your wellbeing. You don’t need to provide medical clearance from your doctor to return to work if you remain symptom free during this period.
  • If someone you live in close proximity with, including an immediate family member, has recently traveled to these locations, please contact your Human Resources Business Partner for guidance.

Facilities

• We have increased the frequency of cleaning the facilities throughout the business day. Focus areas include added sanitization in all dining, cafeteria and kitchen locations as well as the additional disinfecting of door handles, elevator buttons, hand railings and bathrooms.
  • Hand sanitizers will also be available in the offices. However, it is recommended that employees regularly wash their hands with soap and water as opposed to relying on hand sanitizers.

Other guidance

• If you plan to meet with business partners or guests at any of our office locations, please ensure they are aware of our current precautionary measures.
  • Staff should promote the use of video conferencing and limit business travel, when possible.
  • At this time, employees or staff who have been issued a laptop should bring it home every evening, in the event we impose a period of time where employees should work remotely versus coming into the office. Please contact the IT Service Desk with any technical questions. Additional reference information regarding remote access is located We recommend you print out these instructions while in the office.

The situation regarding the virus is changing rapidly we are closely monitoring the situation. Further adjustments to our travel restrictions or self-quarantine obligations may be required, and you will be notified as appropriate.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Get a flu shot?

Yeah, let me head over to the doctor's office where everyone in the waiting room is coughing, sneezing etc.

Great idea.

Maybe last month, but now?

Not happening.

I sort of chuckled when I read that, thinking along the same lines.

Hey, who is the biggest manufacturer of flu shots........

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Flu is a different virus and the shot isn't going help with corona. lower % of people die from flu than corona. corona is tracking at 2%-ish. Flu death rate is something like .001%

Hey now, I was quoting the boss's email (I know the flu and COVID-19 are two different beasts).

But still, imagine getting sick with the flu and something else?

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I saw a pop up ad about the places that haven't had cases yet with airfare prices at the bottom.

The people in the photos (all young) were having the times of their lives. One of them was Greece, can't remember the other two.

Last edited:

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
And someone walked into Fiberglass Hawaii and bought every respirator/filter in the place.

• Dislike
Reactions: JBerry

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
Get a flu shot?

Yeah, let me head over to the doctor's office where everyone in the waiting room is coughing, sneezing etc.

Great idea.

Maybe last month, but now?

Not happening.
Yeah, was maybe, finally going to get one. But now.....

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Crazy Sick Asians is the name of my new screenplay.
I think it's a great sequel considering Crazy Rich Asians didn't have a single redeemable character in it. Make sure there is plenty of carryover between the two.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
I may use corona virus as a reason to back out of a trip to London in a few weeks
But the real reason is I don’t want to fly to London the day after I get back from snowboarding in Colorado
It’d be Kind of out of character for me to cancel because of a scary boogie man hiding under my bed sort of reason, but if I have to choose one, I’d much rather snow Olin Colorado than get corona virus in heathrow
cowabunga
rg

Reactions: keenfish