*** Official Corona Virus Thread ***

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Gains vs mitigation of economic damage

They're not the same thing.

The image you posted said the Swedish strategy is a failure because they didn't make any economic gains.

I'm just curious who thought Sweden's economy would suddenly take off. (?)

Otherwise sounds like a false premise.
nobody likes a pedant

"fared little better"..."they literally gained nothing"

the obvious point is that staying open cost them lives AND it did NOT protect their
economy from the adverse effects that the shutdown nations incurred

but, hey, good gotcha on that ESL speaker!

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
nobody likes a pedant

"fared little better"..."they literally gained nothing"

the obvious point is that staying open cost them lives AND it did NOT protect their
economy from the adverse effects that the shutdown nations incurred
That's not being a pedant.

"Gain" is a specific term in economic context.

but, hey, good gotcha on that ESL speaker!
I would guess he's a little bit beyond ESL skills.

Jacob Funk Kirkegaard, senior fellow, has been associated with the Institute since 2002. Before joining the Institute, he worked with the Danish Ministry of Defense, the United Nations in Iraq, and in the private financial sector. He is a graduate of the Danish Army's Special School of Intelligence and Linguistics with the rank of first lieutenant; the University of Aarhus in Aarhus, Denmark; the Columbia University in New York; and received his PhD from Johns Hopkins University, School of Advanced International Studies. He is coeditor of Transatlantic Economic Challenges in an Era of Growing Multipolarity (2012), author of The Accelerating Decline in America's High-Skilled Workforce: Implications for Immigration Policy (2007), coauthor of US Pension Reform: Lessons from Other Countries (2009) and Transforming the European Economy (2004), and assisted with Accelerating the Globalization of America: The Role for Information Technology (2006). His current research focuses on European economies and reform, immigration, foreign direct investment trends and estimations, pension systems, demographics, offshoring, and the impact of information technology.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Woke AF

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
you just keep on being you, bud

I'm pretty sure the rest of us got the gist

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
you just keep on being you, bud

I'm pretty sure the rest of us got the gist
Maybe your gist was directed by a bias?

I was curious where the opening paragraphs lead.

Now having read the article -

It's shoddy, slanted journalism...an opinion piece masquerading as reporting... not surprising from a writer who works at The Huffington Post.

Not to mention shortsighted.

I thought the Reader's Picks comments from Swedes provided an interesting take on his writing.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
The positive guy is back. He walked into a lab and announced to a roomful of visibly uncomfortable people that he survived. He then said ‘if you’re afraid to be around me YOU can go home for two weeks’. Someone asked him five times if he retested before coming back - he was trying to ignore him. He finally answered no - it’s not required. He went on about how it’s likely he’ll test positive for a while.

he looked unhealthy as fuck. Pale. Almost green looking.

have I said I’m pissed?

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Damn the world is gonna be strange for a long time. although I did go on a drunken fishing trip with a bunch of unmasked EMTS, a few of which had tested positive pretty recently (but by that point recovered and negative) . as much as you sort of push that fear down a ways, it’s still there. One of the youngsters actually got pretty sick, the others barely even cracked a fever. And out of all of them who had caught it, only a few tested positive for antibodies. Small Sample size, but these are emts

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
The positive guy is back. He walked into a lab and announced to a roomful of visibly uncomfortable people that he survived. He then said ‘if you’re afraid to be around me YOU can go home for two weeks’. Someone asked him five times if he retested before coming back - he was trying to ignore him. He finally answered no - it’s not required. He went on about how it’s likely he’ll test positive for a while.

he looked unhealthy as fook. Pale. Almost green looking.

have I said I’m pissed?
Wtf is up with your workplace that they condone this?