*** Official Corona Virus Thread ***

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I have a feeling corporate real estate is gonna be a big loser in coming years. Many businesses will realize how much money they can save with people working at home on their own electricity and broadband bills. Less liability for worker’s compensation. No office space rentals or utilities. Etc.
one can only hope

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
we just had an all hands call for the July 13th reopening of our NYC offices (we have 4)

Purely voluntary of course. And when i heard that only 20 out of the 200 people in my particular building have any desire to return, i change my answer too. there is no point in spending hundreds of dollars a month, and more importantly wasting all of that commuting time, to go sit in a bleak, empty, lonely, spooky-as-fook midtown high rise. It would be NO different than sitting here at my home office, except it would make me poorer and rob me of precious hours of time every day i went in. Our particular business can continue remotely, the only thing gained by a large central office(s) is efficiency. And any efficiency is negated when there are only a few other random people in the office, most of whom have nothing to do with me closing more deals or getting more done.

Looks like Summer on the beach!
I went to school last week to pick up some equipment.

It was empty.

I loved it.

I was going to start driving in to work in my office a couple of days a week and got told I can't be on campus.

I saved a ton of money on gas, but there is something about going to work.

I like it.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
i don't "dislike" it per se, but now that it's summer on Long Beach, and nobody else is going back, it would just be a waste of everything. Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to walk down the block and take a quick dip in the ocean before my 2 PM zoom

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I worked for two months from home from mid-March to mid-May and found that it’s not all it’s cracked up to be. Over the years I got really good at checking out of work when I left the office for the day or the weekend. I’d stop checking emails and would barely think about work outside the office. I liked it that way. The second I brought work home I felt consumed by it constantly. I found I’d fuck off during the day and take the dog on a two hour walk just cause it’s nice out and sh!t like that and next thing I knew I was working till midnight every night and not putting in over time because it was impossible to keep tabs on how much I was fucking off doing other sh!t.

Reactions: Aruka and CutnSnip

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
I worked for two months from home from mid-March to mid-May and found that it’s not all it’s cracked up to be. Over the years I got really good at checking out of work when I left the office for the day or the weekend. I’d stop checking emails and would barely think about work outside the office. I liked it that way. The second I brought work home I felt consumed by it constantly. I found I’d fook off during the day and take the dog on a two hour walk just cause it’s nice out and sh!t like that and next thing I knew I was working till midnight every night and not putting in over time because it was impossible to keep tabs on how much I was fucking off doing other sh!t.
as bad as things are I don’t want to wfh. I just can’t imagine getting anything done. My wife and kids would drive me insane.

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
I worked for two months from home from mid-March to mid-May and found that it’s not all it’s cracked up to be. Over the years I got really good at checking out of work when I left the office for the day or the weekend. I’d stop checking emails and would barely think about work outside the office. I liked it that way. The second I brought work home I felt consumed by it constantly. I found I’d fook off during the day and take the dog on a two hour walk just cause it’s nice out and sh!t like that and next thing I knew I was working till midnight every night and not putting in over time because it was impossible to keep tabs on how much I was fucking off doing other sh!t.
Exact same for me. I got a lot done in the yard (and smoked a lot of weed) but I'd be thinking about work constantly. Now I'm back in the office and when I'm home I NEVER think of work

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
I've been working from home exclusively for over 15 years now. You have to instill self-discipline to separate work from home/recreation life. Keep hours as usual for work, don't accept calls outside normal work hours (8am-6pm max). Don't respond to e-mails outside those hours unless absolutely necessary, even if other party sends them at 10-11pm.

Yes, take advantage of your freedoms to run errands, surf real waves, and such. But you still need to get those 8 hrs in somewhere, and that can mean working later in the evening those days you fart around during the daylight hours. If OT is required, then try not to get in the vicious cycle of working late past 9pm or so. You need to shut down and keep work out of your home life.

It takes discipline, but when you get it wired, it's almost like being semi-retired if you love what you do for work.

Last edited:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Find myself liking the work/life separation. Suits my brain wiring better.

Now I feel like I am always at work...what has happened to my mental discipline where I can utterly block things out?

Reactions: $kully

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
I've been working from home exclusively for over 15 years now. You have to instill self-discipline to separate work from home/recreation life. Keep hours as usual for work, don't accept call outside normal work hours (8am-6pm max). Don't respond to e-mails outside those hours unless absolutely necessary, even if other party sends them at 10-11pm.

Yes, take advantage of your freedoms to run errands, surf real waves, and such. But you still need to get those 8 hrs in somewhere, and that can mean working later in the evening those days you fart around during the daylight hours. If OT is required, then try not to get in the vicious cycle of working late past 9pm or so. You need to shut down and keep work out of your home life.

It takes discipline, but when you get it wired, it's almost like being semi-retired if you love what you do for work.
If I had kids living at home, I could see it being more challenging
My role is kind of a never ending job, and I don’t need to be anywhere specific to be productive
Being home is working well, logistically
I like the energy of the city, but no big loss without it
I took control of my home office, so it’s really my office, and not just a room full of stuff where I work sometimes
Now that I’m home all the time, i definitely notice more stuff at home and care more about it
I wish I was surfing more, but I’m not
I’m planning to work from home indefinitely, while going into the office sporadically, as opposed to the opposite, which I used to do

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
"The hospitals are considering restricting non urgent surgeries to create more space"

So, admittance has increased since they have...began admitting more people?
Yes, this was mentioned before, but many seem to overlook it. 2 months or so ago when "most" hospitals didn't have much CV-19 related activity, many basically ended up being near ghost towns (except a few select hot spots, NYC and a few others). People weren't coming in for GP visits, and even ER's were near empty. Most all elective surgeries were put on hold, fearing the need for ICU space and beds. Staff was getting furloughed due to lack of activity.

So, once we started seeing a steady dropping CV-19 positives and low ICU, beds occupied, the hospitals started allowing REGULAR non CV-19 patients back in for elective surgeries and other medical care needs earlier put on hold.

In recent weeks hospitals were filling back up to near normal activity with REGULAR patients. But now with this new spike in CV-19 cases, some needing hospitalization/ICU, they're going to have to start cancelling all the non-CV-19 patient surgeries again until bed/ICU capacity gets back to earlier shutdown levels.

Once we start seeing a leveling off of NEW CV-19 patients in hospitals, and eventual release (or worse case, death), then they will slowly be able to start accepting non-CV-19 patients again for typical surgeries most do on a day in/day out basis.

This is the main reason some hospitals are reaching near capacity again. Some will need to transfer to other hospitals if emergencies are required or put off that cancer surgery and what-not a bit longer.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Oh, one more thought on work from home regarding socializing
I used to chat with coworkers on and off during the day, which was really easy in an open office environment, but never even looked at the erbb, which i wouldn’t even think about doing in an open office environment
Now I’m back on here
I can get away with more open talk on here, so that’s good, and I still talk to coworkers that I actually work with, but I kind of miss the natural interactions with random people in the same office. Not saying that will drive me towards returning to the office, but I like the people there, and kind of miss that

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Same except only worked till May 1st. It wasn't that I couldn't sit down and do the work or maintain a normal schedule - it was that my apartment just isn't the creative environment I had hoped it would be and I had trouble getting into a productive flow. My edit rig is in a corner of my living room and I really need that separation of work/home. That said, right now I'll take what I can get but once I get some steady work coming through I'm heavily considering renting a bay at one of the local production house here in Hollywood or just renting an office/ creative space somewhere I could bring my rig to.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Oh, one more thought on work from home regarding socializing
I used to chat with coworkers on and off during the day, which was really easy in an open office environment, but never even looked at the erbb, which i wouldn’t even think about doing in an open office environment
Now I’m back on here
I can get away with more open talk on here, so that’s good, and I still talk to coworkers that I actually work with, but I kind of miss the natural interactions with random people in the same office. Not saying that will drive me towards returning to the office, but I like the people there, and kind of miss that
I’ve learned the hard way to limit my interactions. When you get that email to self monitor you go crazy trying to remember who you were in contact with the week before

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Oh the positive guy isn’t wearing his mask and is now going on about how it’s really hard to catch the cv. It’s maddening

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I've been working from home for the past 8 years. I personally love it. I work as fast as possible and get through my daily to do list. Once that's done, I stop working. Just stop. Sometimes I get it all done in an hour, then I dick around the rest of the day. Make a to do list in the morning. Write down everything you need to get done and may be a few things that are reaches or proactive for tomorrow.

Also have a place where you work. Like the kitchen counter or a desk. Always work there. That becomes the place where you do everything. When you're there, you work. When you're done you don't sit there.

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
I've been working from home for the past 8 years. I personally love it. I work as fast as possible and get through my daily to do list. Once that's done, I stop working. Just stop. Sometimes I get it all done in an hour, then I dick around the rest of the day. Make a to do list in the morning. Write down everything you need to get done and may be a few things that are reaches or proactive for tomorrow.

Also have a place where you work. Like the kitchen counter or a desk. Always work there. That becomes the place where you do everything. When you're there, you work. When you're done you don't sit there.
All of this...

I've been work from home for at least 5 years now. Wake up, cup of coffee and start working. Late morning gym (pre covid) visit to break up the day, do groceries, errands, whatever. If the surf i chest +, clean and not rapidly dying off I'll make the drive and get back to work in the afternoon. Wife works upwards of 80 hour weeks so it helps that I have the time to do the cooking, cleaning, laundry and groceries.

Reactions: Subway and racer1

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Haha, I'm similar. Work from coffee to lunch. Eat lunch with wife then run whatever errands. If there's waves, I surf for 1-2 hours. Then back to work until dinner, if necessary. Eat dinner, clean up the kitchen/dining areas, then some work maintenance stuff for 1-2 hours in the evening, if necessary. Wife is my business partner, so we both work from home. Her schedule is same but replace youtube yoga for surfing.