*** Official Corona Virus Thread ***

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Questions:

- Hasn't it been determined asymptomatic people are not contagious? Makes sense no? Takes a good sneeze or cough to really project those aerosols.

- Hasn't it been determined that its unlikely to catch this this from touching surfaces?

- Lastly, please indicate if you know someone who has contracted this. Not a friend of a friend. But a direct relationship. What was their experience with the virus.
Friend of mine got it (he's a jiu guy, his girlfriend is actually one of the best Jiu Jitsu athletes ever btw, Patricia Lage). Of course he eventually got it because he kept training. rubbing yourself on sweaty guys is probbly an easy way to do so. lol.

He said he felt particularly sore after training one day and wen to the doctor. He tested positive. Other than being sore he said it was milder than a common cold.

On the other side of the spectrum a woman who lives in my building lost her mother and last week lost her father (neither live on my building). This is extremely dangerous to the elder.

Patricia's achievements just for the heck of it. It's funny to hear her talking to her students... all professional fighters... and she can probably put any of them under submission.
  • 3x World Cup Champion (2007, 2008, 2010);
  • 3x Brazilian National Cup Champion (2008, 2009, 2010);
  • 3x Brazilian Champion (2007, 2009 absolute, 2010 WO);
  • International Masters & Seniors Champion (2010 absolute);
  • Brazilian National Teams Champion (1998);
  • 13x Sao Paulo State Champion;
  • Grapplers Quest Champion, New Jersey (2007 absolute);
  • American National Champion (2007);
  • Pan American Silver Medallist (2007);
  • World Bronze Medallist (2007)

Reactions: stringcheese

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Why....are there ass viruses now?
Why yes there are!:poop:

Stuff like "Hepatitis A"....have you heard of it?

Then of course there's stuff like e.coli...

But yes I do....it's a habit.
Why do you bother washing your hands after wiping your ass?

Is it yourself you're protecting? Or are you protecting others?

Or you just do it for fun?

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
Some thoughts about wearing a mask.....
Ever heard the "I wear it for you" comments?
So I'm responsible for your health now?
Can I also dictate how much sleep you get....your diet....etc.
Some common sense & mask science for you.....
If it was common sense, you wouldn't be posting it.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Ever heard of something that happens "once in a coon's age"?
My grandma used to say that, in reference to something happening rarely.
I want to be careful these days, because it might be racist.

Once in a particularly rare shade of blue moon,

don't blink or you'll miss it,

bhoter gets one right!

"My mask isn't for me, it's for you"

....."for you to know my political agenda"

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
The real trend will be if this chart starts seeing a flattening or worse, as rise in daily deaths.

Hopefully it will continue this way and all the new positive case spikes will be mostly a result of doubling/tripling of daily testing compared to a month ago.

SD just reported a record daily test count of over 10,000 yesterday. Prior week or so, we were averaging 4000-6000 a day. Month ago it was 2000-3000 a day. So positive cases are going up, but ratio to testing is staying the same.
CV19-061920.png

This and actual new hospitalizations and ICU admissions nationally will tell the real story of the supposed 2nd wave.

I've been watching this charts trends closely for a couple months now. Each weekly high is lower, and each weekly low is lower. Very good trend. The next few weeks on this chart will tell us a lot if vast re-opening will be OK to continue with.

Trend is very consistent with Sunday/Monday counts being much lower over the weekly average, while Tues/Wed/Thurs are the higher count days. Fri/Sat it drops off from weekly peaks. It's like clockwork. Must be something about medical staff reporting or something?

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
National stats water thing down and average things out
While ny was surging, California saw nothing
Now while some areas are increasing, ny is going down
I don’t know how the boundaries should be defined , but US deaths and US hospitalizations are interesting, but decisions should be based on smaller geographies

Reactions: afoaf

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
I'm sure it will be locally directed. Some more rural areas that see increases won't need to do the same tightening that cities will need to do if they see spikes. It's going to be a real dramatic difference in "freedoms" from state to state, city to city as time goes by.

Problem will be, I think, that once people hear a certain area is near virus free, people will flock to it for vacations and such, driving the possibility of spiking cases back up again. It's going to be weird and localism will be a new fad again in less populated areas.

We thought localism in surfing was bad in the 70's and 80's, this will be as bad or worse. Stinkeye will be common again at these vacation destination spots. Hawaii is still locking down tourists (14 days minimum) until at least July 31 and they're brutal and strict with any that don't comply. Cops make daily hotel checks and all. No rental cars for tourists and no pool, gym access at resorts/hotels. Why even go, unless staying a month or more?

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
National stats water thing down and average things out
While ny was surging, California saw nothing
Now while some areas are increasing, ny is going down
I don’t know how the boundaries should be defined , but US deaths and US hospitalizations are interesting, but decisions should be based on smaller geographies
The Island of Kauai has had 21 cases of COVID-19 and all have recovered. NO new cases since April.
* * * * * * * * * ** * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
HONOLULU (KHON2) — The Kauai District Health Office was informed Thursday, June 18, of one new confirmed case of COVID-19 on the island of Kauai.

This brings the cumulative total for the county to 22, making this the first new case for the island since early April.

The new case is a male adult resident whose positive test results were received Thursday.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

People have come, haven't followed Hawaii's 14 day quarantine agenda and have been booted from the state. Aloha, come in many different forms ~ Some have snuck past the quarantine period, but "Five-O" is out there and has no problem in getting in your face.
And on a sad note. A 39 y/o male who came to Oahu and decided not to follow the 14 day quarantine agenda checked out from his hotel to allude the quarantine procedure, drowned in local hawaiian waters and was found by a fisherman.

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
No. Those are two different things.
How so?

The purpose of washing our hands after taking a dump is to protect others from pathogens.

The purpose of wearing a mask is to protect others from pathogens.

So what makes wearing a mask a representation of one's political agenda?

Last edited:

Bohter

Michael Peterson status
Mar 7, 2006
How so?

The purpose of washing our hands after taking a dump is to protect others from pathogens.

The purpose of wearing a mask is to protect others from pathogens.

So what makes wearing a mask a representation of one's political agenda?
You dump to get rid of waste products and toxins.
Are toxins = pathogens?
Likely bacteria in there too....which are micro-organisms.....living things....
And we know bacteria & toxins can make you ill ala food poisoning etc.
So it's accurate to consider bacteria as a pathogen....IMO.

Problem is....viruses are not living things....and have never been proven to be pathogenic...per Koch's Postulates.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: afoaf

Bohter

Michael Peterson status
Mar 7, 2006
That is false.
Ok...
Lets discuss the accuracy of the test in more detail.
Is it true that a low false positive test rate combined with high sample count in a actual low disease rate population....can have a high false positive outcome?
Science says yes....
"Depending on what you're testing for and what these rates actually are, the consequences of either one could be devastating. If you're testing for a rare but lethal disease, a high false positive rate is a nightmare. For example, let's assume you have a disease where the test has a false positive rate of 1% (and no false negatives), but only 1-in-10,000 people actually have the disease.

If you perform the test on 1 million people, you'll wind up with a total of 10,099 positive test results out of your total sample of 1 million. But of those positive results, only 100 people will actually have the infection. You'd needlessly scare — and, if it was part of the treatment, isolate and quarantine — 9,999 people if you relied on those test results. (In other words, a total of 99% of the positives would be false.)."
From....

And this from Dr. Birx on the Covid....PCR test....same reasoning....could have 50% false positive....

Thoughts?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
You dump to get rid of waste products and toxins.
Are toxins = pathogens?
The waste products people get rid of sometimes contain pathogens such as norovirus, Hepatitis A, e.coli, antibiotic resistant e.coli, salmonella, shigella, giardia, etc.

These pathogens and/or the toxins they produce will make other people sick.

One of the two main reasons your wash your hands after shitting is to protect the public from pathogens you may be carrying.

Do you understand this?

Bohter

Michael Peterson status
Mar 7, 2006
The waste products people get rid of sometimes contain pathogens such as norovirus, Hepatitis A, e.coli, antibiotic resistant e.coli, salmonella, shigella, giardia, etc.

These pathogens and/or the toxins they produce will make other people sick.

One of the two main reasons your wash your hands after shitting is to protect the public from pathogens you may be carrying.

Do you understand this?
I think your list is too broad....
"...sometimes contain pathogens such as norovirus, Hepatitis A, e.coli, antibiotic resistant e.coli, salmonella, shigella, giardia, etc."
...because you included viruses....which have never been proven pathogenic per Koch's Postulates....viruses are not micro-organisms...not living organisms...otherwise, I agree with you and fully understand.

Now....about the PCR test accuracy....
Do you understand this and agree with Dr Birx?

How about our mind's influence on disease?
Interesting topic....