*** Official Corona Virus Thread ***

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
it's funny because the people that want a "reopening now" think those advocating caution are standing in their way.

we're not.

if tomorrow trump and every single governor said, "no more stay at home . . . do what you want" i'd basically do the same thing i've been doing since lock down started with the exception that i'd surf again.
And that would be your choice. I would respect your choice.

Now let’s respect the right to choose for others.

Reactions: Ifallalot

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
“Hey, we just bankrupted you by destroying a business you started by pouring your life savings into it (you were doing great until we forced you to close), your kid is no longer being educated and all of your former employees are jobless. Here’s $1,200.”
Oh yeah, that $1200 is going to be taxed next year too

Reactions: Jonahbrah

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Oh yeah, that $1200 is going to be taxed next year too
Worse than that.

Not taxed, it’s float on next year’s return.

If when you file next year you are owed $1,200 you get nothing. They already gave it to you this year.

If you owe them then that $1,200 is taxable income.

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
And that would be your choice. I would respect your choice.

Now let’s respect the right to choose for others.
that is a tough one. tough.

i have to think about that.

if i were governor, i'd do exactly what he is doing.

as a private citizen though i have no say over whether you return to work and honestly cannot with a clear conscience advocate for it.

i suspect there will be a plan made known in CA within 2-3 weeks that will establish a return to work process that is logical, and consistent with best practices in managing the virus.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
that is a tough one. tough.

i have to think about that.

if i were governor, i'd do exactly what he is doing.

as a private citizen though i have no say over whether you return to work and honestly cannot with a clear conscience advocate for it.

i suspect there will be a plan made known in CA within 2-3 weeks that will establish a return to work process that is logical, and consistent with best practices in managing the virus.
If i were a governor of a state in the United States of America I would never in my life be so arrogant and power mad as to assume that I had the authority or anything even close to a justification for what is being done to the citizens of this (once and hopefully again soon) great nation.

True leadership here would have been to encourage social distancing and strongly encouraging the most vulnerable to self isolate while allowing businesses and citizens to chose there own path forward.

The easiest path to take is the one we are on now. There was never going to be and will never be any consequences, personally or politically, to Gavin Newsome. Meanwhile the consequences to His subjects will prove to be devastating.

If history looks back on this with any honestly it will be known as the biggest overreaction ever. And that would be the kindest possible assessment because that removes any possible malice as a motivating factor.

bobwarren

Nep status
Feb 24, 2016
Neptune Beach FL
“Hey, we just bankrupted you by destroying a business you started by pouring your life savings into it (you were doing great until we forced you to close), your kid is no longer being educated and all of your former employees are jobless. Here’s $1,200.”
This situation has made it obvious who the producers are and aren't. That's for sure.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Worse than that.

Not taxed, it’s float on next year’s return.

If when you file next year you are owed $1,200 you get nothing. They already gave it to you this year.

If you owe them then that $1,200 is taxable income.
Are you kidding?

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
How do we know we just didn't overestimate in the first place?
We can never know.

Unless you have some sort of alternate quantum threaded universe we could check on.

For certain, the there are going to be many papers published exploring the 'what ifs' of this.

Sort of like "How much further ahead could humanity be if:

1 there were no Civil War
2 the Library of Alexandria hasn't been destroyed
3 God didn't knock down of the Tower of Babel
4 sun of Romulus didn't go nova
5 etc

Last edited:
Reactions: Ifallalot

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Do you know what isn’t factored in to those models? Deaths and lives destroyed do to the economy being wrecked.
I think this (lives destroyed due to the economy being nearly shut down) is another one of those things we can't know, unless you have some sort of alternate quantum threaded universe we could check on. But maybe I am taking the word 'destroyed' too literally. I don't see any coming back from being destroyed while 'set back' or 'wrecked' provides a degree of repair/restoration.

Last edited:
Reactions: Random Guy

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
I think this (lives destroyed due to the economy being nearly shut down) is another one of those things we can't know, unless you have some sort of alternate quantum threaded universe we could check on.
it will be bad. really bad. this will be the worst economic downturn that anyone posting on here has ever experienced.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I think this (lives destroyed due to the economy being nearly shut down) is another one of those things we can't know, unless you have some sort of alternate quantum threaded universe we could check on.
We can never know.

Unless you have some sort of alternate quantum threaded universe we could check on.
It’s pretty well established how economic hardship affects crime rates, suicides, divorces, education levels, life expectancies, etc.

In other words, we can know.

Reactions: bobwarren

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
You are forecasting/projecting, which is a reasonable thing to do.

We forecast the weather all the time based on what we 'know'.

However, this is not the same as knowing.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
You are forecasting/projecting, which is a reasonable thing to do.

However, this is not the same as knowing.
We know that 17,000,000 people filed for unemployment in the last three weeks. We know that this is a very very bad thing. We know that if 1 million people did it would be bad, very bad. 17 million people (at least) lost their job.

We know this.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Hospitals are laying off people in massive numbers.

Think about that for a moment.

We shut everything down so as to not overwhelm hospitals and now hospitals are so underwhelmed they are laying off people and going bankrupt.

We KNOW this.