***Official Car Talk Thread***

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I like power locks and power windows, although you have to be careful leaving the windows cracked with rain potentially incoming, or it can fry the door module. Cruise control is a must for me - lots of highway.

@grapedrink Where is your Central Coast pride? You are getting g-checked and dragged by someone who literally moved from South Florida to San Diego, the two softest zones on their respective American coasts.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
@grapedrink Where is your Central Coast pride? You are getting g-checked and dragged by someone who literally moved from South Florida to San Diego, the two softest zones on their respective American coasts.
I drive through Paso Robles and the Salinas valley all the time. It gets as hot as anywhere else there.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Furnace fucking Creek is not hot enough to get checked by someone from Broward/Dade. Harden the fook up AND COME BACK ON HIS BITCH ASS sh!t, or drive over the Santa Lucias and dig me some fuckin clams.
Temps in the 90s+ all summer and into fall. No humidity though, so I guess you could say it doesn't "feel" as hot.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Temps in the 90s+ all summer and into fall. No humidity though, so I guess you could say it doesn't "feel" as hot.
I fucking get it. The backside of the first set of hills from BC to Baja is melting all summer long. I'm not asking you for a justification for using A/C.

I'm asking you why you aren't calling him a SoCal pussy. Why aren't you calling him the Ur-Souther? Why aren't you telling him to stuff an avocado up his ass?

Stop being a fucking ****, inappropriately question his sexuality and masculinity, and describe in detail a possible death by blunt trauma due to e-bike collision at Lowers.

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
absolutely nothing slammed you into the back of the seat like that one.
Except that stock tesla I drove last weekend. Instant power and torque with no lag or gear shift to 80. Once I took my foot of the pedal it gently slowed to a stop. The Challenger would momentarily continue to rev hard even after I stepped off the pedal. That was scary.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Pulling a boat out of the water with a stick is stupid. Getting out of sand. Dumb. Having the ease and “touch” of an automatic is the way to go. Plus you can slug your beer and I hate replacing clutches in 4wd
One big advantage to manuals is driving on snow and ice, downshifting beats braking every time.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Pulling a boat out of the water with a stick is stupid. Getting out of sand. Dumb. Having the ease and “touch” of an automatic is the way to go. Plus you can slug your beer and I hate replacing clutches in 4wd
Have to say, manual is better for getting out of the soft stuff.

Most people who get stuck with automatics, do so by spinning wheels in 1st.
2nd gear and some delicate clutch work do wonders in sand/snow.
Not to mention being able to stay off brakes much more on the downhills.

• Dislike
Reactions: Pico and mundus

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
My first 3 cars were manuals. Two accords and a prelude. I'm glad I learned how to drive a stick but I would never go back for anything other than a midlife crisis sports car for weekend driving or maybe some kind offroad project truck.

I really don't get the opposition to power windows and locks. Seems like one of the best and least controversial uses of electronics in a car and I don't think I've ever had any failures in twenty four years of driving.

Touchscreen climate controls can suck a fat one though.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
My first 3 cars were manuals. Two accords and a prelude. I'm glad I learned how to drive a stick but I would never go back for anything other than a midlife crisis sports car for weekend driving or maybe some kind offroad project truck.

I really don't get the opposition to power windows and locks. Seems like one of the best and least controversial uses of electronics in a car and I don't think I've ever had any failures in twenty four years of driving.

my first car ever - i picked up from auto trader. never even dawned on me it may be stick. friend dropped me off - i was like ooooh sh!t. twitchy drive home but i made it w/ my friend following behind me and thats how i learned to drive stick.

my new whip has touchscreen climate but they at least have some haptic feedback so it feels like a button.

my least favorite thing about the car but besides an Acura, every other car I test drove was touch screen climate or hidden in the infotaiment screen somewhere like a tesla and the acura had so many buttons it was just plain ugly.

Reactions: Aruka

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009

It's a simple electric motor with a switch.
It can barely be called "electronics".

Subaru deciding to put in mechanical buttons for temp control only and nothing else is really weird.
Having to go through 3 screens to make a small climate adjustemnt blows.
It doesn't help that the whole system is run on Windows 95.