***Official Car Talk Thread***

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
1 Toyota Corona, Mark 2 (hatchback) - first car ever to go 100 mph in, dad at the wheel, from Mt Hood Meadows to Hood River
2 Ford Pinto (wagon) - first car to be wrecked in, mom driving, left turner at intersection got us head on as we went to school
3 Honda Accord - first car to hit me (in Berkeley) on a motorbike, left turner at intersection
4 1997 Impreza - first and only new car ever bought, owned till 2017, never left me stranded

Last edited:
Reactions: Aruka

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
One thing I miss is the manual tranmission. Recently my starter motor failed. If I'd had a manual transmission I could have started my car anyways (we live on a hill). No way to bump an automatic.
Get someone underneath and jumper around the watchmacallit. Drive it straight to your mechanic unless you want to fix it yourself.

I’ve heard it’s possible but have never seen it done and don’t know anyone that has. Maybe with the very early automatic transmissions but I can attest that it can’t be done with a ‘66 Mustang.

The more stuff, the more that will go wrong. I like @plasticbertrand ‘s little truck, practical and inexpensive to operate and maintain. Boards and other stuff fits good in the back. Two motos and a week’s supply of Baja provisions.

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
Cooking with 550 HP 502# torque 5 liter twin screw supercharger overhead cams. Last year of production. 2015 XKR-S (pro-drivers on YouTube complained too much power for the all aluminum/carbon fiber Jag). Kick in the pants on the track!

IMG_0807.jpeg

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Does it matter? My last employer made my car payments for 9 years. My current pays me IRS mileage, which basically covers it. Will probably keep this one for the long haul.

Thats fine, because that’s ultimately the point of driving a car.

Not sure where this is coming from or what a “conscientious conservative” even means.

No, because by the time I was driving age they were a relic of the past. I remember on my parents old cars.

Do you wash your clothes by hand too? If no, then LAZY!!!!

Sure, why not? Why be uncomfortable?

I drove plenty of manual cars and yes, I ate at the same time. To say that you can crank all 4 windows at highway speed without some sacrifice in safety is dishonest.

If you paid for the work, especially at a dealership and the same issue comes up, it should be covered.

Like I said, different mindset.

And crank windows weren't a relic of the past 25 years ago. :rolleyes:

You really can't talk about cranking a window down at highway speeds while driving because you admittedly have no experience with it. lol. Way more dangerous playing with your smartphone while driving like I see EVERYONE doing these days.

And the Big 5 vibe you give off is high in conscientiousness, which correlates with things like orderliness which correlates with conservativeness.

As far as paying for the work at a a dealership - who does that? Single white females? lol They're a ripoff that'll charge twice as much. Also, anecdotally, the employees tend to be less competent. If I have the area and tools to fix it I DIY, unless it involves needing a lift or something extreme, then I have a good mechanic take care of it.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Could be the IAC valve sensor.
This was my first, thought but in my experience the symptoms aren't initially so severe as this was.

So I cleaned the MAF and change my air filter (which was, admittedly way overdue...I could've taken pics but was too embarrassed) but still terrible.

Good thing was when I turned it back on it threw a code, P301, which I recognized from a previous code P304 some years back (cylinder 4 misfire).

So picked up a the coil pack and replaced the plug and now good to go. Under 20 mins labor, plus 5 minutes back and forth from NAPA.

I literally just LOL'd at how much the dealer would have charged. Plus the additional hour labor to "change you windshield wipers, ma'am?":roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: :socrazy: :socrazy: :socrazy: :socrazy:

Reactions: Mr Doof and Chocki

nimby

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 15, 2011
I rented a car at the Tuscaloosa airport several weeks ago. The clerk got all giggly when she said all they have is a sports car. Turned out to be a Dodge hemi Challenger. Varroomm!
in high school, handful of times was in the shotgun seat when my buddy Frank was racing his 426 Hemi Road Runner for serious cash, a car he has to this day , let out of the garage for the occasional rumble. Been in a fair amount of rods, nothing, absolutely nothing slammed you into the back of the seat like that one.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Like I said, different mindset.
Yeah. Like I said, I find no virtue in doing things the hard way.

You really can't talk about cranking a window down at highway speeds while driving because you admittedly have no experience with it. lol. Way more dangerous playing with your smartphone while driving like I see EVERYONE doing these days.
Yeah, so me reaching across to grab a water bottle in the passenger door doesn’t translate to what it would be like to crank the passenger side window down :unsure: K :roflmao: :rolleyes: Depending on the seat configuration and size of car the ergonomics would make it very awkward to do that in the rear seats.

Sure, I would agree that playing with a phone is more dangerous, but that doesn’t mean that cranking windows is 100% safe relative to automatic windows, just like I don’t like leaning over to grab a water bottle.

And the Big 5 vibe you give off is high in conscientiousness, which correlates with things like orderliness which correlates with conservativeness.
I don’t know. What I do know is that I don’t do things the hard way when there is a much easier way that costs nothing more, or at best the cost is marginal relative to the time saved.

When you go camping, do you rub 2 sticks together to light the fire? Do you wash your clothes by hand and hang dry them? Do you wash all your dishes and silverware by hand?

Given that you consider auto locks and windows “lazy”, then if you answer yes to any of the above that would make you lazy too. Are you lazy?

As far as paying for the work at a a dealership - who does that?
Cool. I don’t either. My overall point is that a good mechanic will typically warranty their work within a certain window.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I don’t know. What I do know is that I don’t do things the hard way when there is a much easier way that costs nothing more, or at best the cost is marginal relative to the time saved.
Easy? Sure.

"there is a much easier way that costs nothing more, or at best the cost is marginal relative to the time saved" - that's just false in the case of cars in the way you're framing it.

It's generally much cheaper to own a car long term. It's much cheaper to to fix a normal door lock than an automatic lock - I've easily fixed a normal lock pull mechanism myself in a short time for minimum cost vs $500/door for an electronic mech, etc. You usually learn something along the way too. Don't get me started on oil changes - not worth the damage done by some bonehead who didn't take the time to put the filter on properly or forgot to put the oil cap on (Yes, it happens, no the culprits will never take responsibility) Do it at home in 20 minutes. People who never get their hands dirty end up getting ripped off.

But hey, like you said, you don't put the windows down anyway - you just run the A/C. lol.

• Haha

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
awesome I appreciate the info. I have a work provided truck now so my personal sits a lot. So it makes the gas a little easier to swallow now that it’s not being paid for out of my pocket most weeks.
We bought a Lagun table for our transit. Worth the money.

A dc alternator charger is worth it if you're using house batteries. Solar is so cheap now. I built an electrical system based on victron components. Guy a sold the transit to builds victron systems for boats, so I still have ours. Might put it in the new to us Tacoma.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Easy? Sure.

"there is a much easier way that costs nothing more, or at best the cost is marginal relative to the time saved" - that's just false in the case of cars in the way you're framing it.
Like I said, I haven't paid a single repair bill for windows or door locks that don't work. So yeah, for me it's cost me nothing more. My last car I took up to 200k miles.

But hey, like you said, you don't put the windows down anyway - you just run the A/C. lol.
Wrong. Why such dishonest framing? I much prefer windows until I get on the highway because at that point the noise and wind gets annoying, so then I switch to AC. I have no desire to crank 2-4 windows every time I have to switch from regular roads to highway and vice versa when there is a far easier solution.

You also haven't answered my question . . . If automatic door locks and windows are "lazy", then it is also lazy to use machines to wash/dry your clothes and dishes? Or to use a lighter to start a fire? Seems like you are cherry picking :unsure:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
You also haven't answered my question . . . If automatic door locks and windows are "lazy", then it is also lazy to use machines to wash/dry your clothes and dishes?
Machine wash is better than hand wash - at least it used to be - the new water saving efficient washers are total sh!t compared to the old stuff.

I don't use a dishwasher. Seems like a waste of electricity and just another thing to maintain (was just at a house where they're 50K in on a dishwasher leak - anyone know why dishwashers tend to be so prone to leaking?)

Or to use a lighter to start a fire? Seems like you are cherry picking :unsure:
Because it's indisputably about 100 times more reliable than rubbing two sticks together.

What terrible comparisons you're attempting.(n)

I'll refer you to PRCD's recent post about newer vehicles for all other inquiries.

• Haha

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
People like myself aren't interested in fvkcing with electronics. We're interested in getting from point A to point B and nothing more .
You can get from A to B and not fück with electronics, the two are not mutually exclusive.

The electric windows don't fail these days and unless you buy a notoriously unreliable car, most electronics are solid.

Adaptive cruise control is amazing, on a Subaru at least.

By your own admission, you haven't had electronics on a car in 25 years so your thoughts about reliability are not current. Besides all that, changing a window regulator is a simple and cheap job. Manual windows fail too.

BTW, my last two trucks were both manual, base regular cabs and there was no way in hell to reach the passanger side window crank on a Tundra without unbuckling and leaving your seat.
On the '93 pickup, it's a piece of cake but not having power steering or AC is akin to rubbing sticks in the woods.

Driving an all manual car is like riding a steel bike with fixed gear, it's kind of fun and hip but then you jump on the carbon whip with electronic shifting and it blows your mind.

Yes some people still prefer flip phones, technophobia is real.

Also, I've been trying to fix the speedo on my zero electronics 93 Toyota pickup for two years now with no luck.

Last edited:

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
Pulling a boat out of the water with a stick is stupid. Getting out of sand. Dumb. Having the ease and “touch” of an automatic is the way to go. Plus you can slug your beer and I hate replacing clutches in 4wd

Last edited:

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Pulling a boat out of the water with a stick is stupid. Getting out of sand. Dumb. Having the ease and “touch” of an automatic is the way to go. Plus you can slug your beer
If you’re a pussy. I learned to launch and pull out a boat with a ‘63 Ford pickup, 3 on the tree, with a full size camper on it before I was in high school.

• Haha
Reactions: Pico

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Absolutely loving my new Kia Sportage!
I've been eyeing the Kia minivan. New Toyota Sienna's are a year wait and selling well-over MSRP rn. Mechanics have told me the new Honda minivan transmissions are questionable - again they're 10 speeds.