***Official Car Talk Thread***

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I enjoy wrenching on cars to an extent. If I had a garage and a lift I'd probably always have a project car in the works. Unfortunately, living on an island surrounded by salt water, cars and trucks just become a nuisance. Couldn't count the number of sidewalk brake and caliper jobs I've done over the years along with, bypassing rotted out brake and power steering lines, rusted out spark plugs etc. I'll be outside today coating the under-side of my Explorer with Fluid-Film trying in vain to keep corrosion at bay a little longer.
Fluid Film is good sh!t. I’d heard about its benefits forever and after spending the coin to upgrade the suspension figured it was time to go hard af on preventative maintenance/measures.

I sprayed it in all the obv frame holes to start along with coating the rails exterior and went house on the new rear springs shackles etc. When I get underneath to do the skid plates I’ll finish the job. Trick is after you’ve coated something to use the hose to spread it around remove excess etc

Was a little worried it would be a grit magnet post application but nbd.
E2B5CD1C-BC6D-44B9-BFE3-25F9927526B7.jpeg

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
The wife and I test drove a Tesla yesterday. I laughed when they handed me the key card and said be back in a half hour. She almost crapped her panties when I floored it at the first stoplight :shameonyou: but overall it was a positive experience. Now she / we wants one.
Nice to see someone of your generation embracing your true pronouns. The American radical left thanks you.

Reactions: Pico

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
My Mini Cooper SE is my favorite car I've owned. The first month I got it, I took the exit before mine just so I could go around the roundabout. One time, it was night, and I saw that the car behind me was an SUV. I entered slowly and then punched it around the roundabout (about 30 mph), out of the S turn, and then cruised at the speed limit (35 mph) to the light. The SUV bogged around the roundabout, then floored it to catch up w/ me at the light. He shone his spotlight at me from behind, then pulled up next to me and stared in my window. I was about to put my hand up to apologize, but then he turned right and sped off. I thought I got off lucky. I later realized that there's no speed limit posted at the roundabout, so I assume it must be the same as the road (35 mph).

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
The tech in todays car is unnecessary, poorly designed, unreliable, and absolutely terrible ergonomically.
i dig all the new tech - cant live w/o adaptive cruise/ steering assist now especially in stop and go traffic. heated/ air conditioned seats - must have. apple car-play - golden. the trick ergonomically is to find a new whip that still has physical buttons for things like climate, etc.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
i dig all the new tech - cant live w/o adaptive cruise/ steering assist now especially in stop and go traffic. heated/ air conditioned seats - must have. apple car-play - golden. the trick ergonomically is to find a new whip that still has physical buttons for things like climate, etc.
This is why chocolate and vanilla exist in this world. I just wish the car companies would give the customer choices on how much tech they need. Like my Subaru has a touch screen that is unreadable in the sun, plus the whole touch screen architecture is beyond idiotic when the driver is supposed to be paying attention operating the car.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
This is why chocolate and vanilla exist in this world. I just wish the car companies would give the customer choices on how much tech they need. Like my Subaru has a touch screen that is unreadable in the sun, plus the whole touch screen architecture is beyond idiotic when the driver is supposed to be paying attention operating the car.
theyre probably going to end up with a subscription model for this exact reason. pay for what you need - but it will be built in till you switch it on and pay. i dont love that idea but it seems like it is the best comprimise

the best screens are the ones that give you touch capability but also some type of wheel /touchpad thing so you dont have to take your eyes off except for cartain things. bummer about the glare - thats just poor planning on suburus part.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
theyre probably going to end up with a subscription model for this exact reason. pay for what you need - but it will be built in till you switch it on and pay. i dont love that idea but it seems like it is the best comprimise

the best screens are the ones that give you touch capability but also some type of wheel /touchpad thing so you dont have to take your eyes off except for cartain things. bummer about the glare - thats just poor planning on suburus part.
Why a sub option with hassle of renewing and not a list of options that can be paid for on purchase?

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Why a sub option with hassle of renewing and not a list of options that can be paid for on purchase?
isnt that what there is now? base model - no tech - add tech package for 3 grand to get the safety sh!t and what not?

alot of cars have the tech standard now i guess so no choice but you can switch it all off. its expenive for the car companies to make 4-5 different trims. cheaper if they just make one - fully loaded - let the consumer switch on and pay for what they need. again - i dont like that idea but it makes sense.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
isnt that what there is now? base model - no tech - add tech package for 3 grand to get the safety sh!t and what not?

alot of cars have the tech standard now i guess so no choice but you can switch it all off. its expenive for the car companies to make 4-5 different trims. cheaper if they just make one - fully loaded - let the consumer switch on and pay for what they need. again - i dont like that idea but it makes sense.
I just remember the nightmare trying to deal with Sirius Radio, can only imagine the sub model will be a royal PIA for the consumers. ! agree with everything you said, just a bitter luddite.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Starting with electronic door locks and window controls.
In the 25 years I've been driving not once have I had to take car to the shop for this. You're disasterbating again.

Do you really want to lean over while driving down a country road on a nice day to roll down the windows? What if you want to roll down the windows behind you?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
In the 25 years I've been driving not once have I had to take car to the shop for this. You're disasterbating again.
You probably don't keep your cars too long.

I've been in many cars where the windows don't work or door locks are busted.

Do you really want to lean over while driving down a country road on a nice day to roll down the windows? What if you want to roll down the windows behind you?
Yes. Because I'm not fvckin' lazy. And I've done this for many many years and currently do it without issue.

As for our Honda, currently 3 electronic door locks don't work. Driver's side and both backseat. They all failed within a few weeks of each other. Over $1500 OTD to repair. Are we gonna fix it? F*ck no. We're not disabled.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Starting with electronic door locks and window controls.
You've probably never drove a car with manual windows. I can't tell you how many times someone has pulled up in the lane to my right, rolled down their window to talk to me, and I can't reply because I can't reach over in my van with my seat belt on and roll down the window.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
You probably don't keep your cars too long.
LOLZ. Never saw it with my parent's cars I drove in high school. Had a 95 Altima that I drove until 2008. Corolla after that until 2014. Since then I've had to drive more for work so I swap them out every 3-4 years.

I get your overall point regarding electronics but it does not seem like a common problem for most people.

I've been in many cars where the windows don't work or door locks are busted.
I can't recall the last time this happened to me in anyone's car.

Yes. Because I'm not fvckin' lazy. And I've done this for many many years and currently do it without issue.
Efficiency =/= laziness, except for the lazy minded. That mindset is a relic of older generations where there is inherent virtue in intentionally doing something the hard way when there are far easier options available. Would you rather dig a hole to plant a tree with a shovel or a hand trowel?

What if you are on the freeway? Do you really want to exit, pull over, and then get back on? Then get out of the car to deal with the rear windows? Seems like a waste of time just to hypothetically save money for a repair you will most likely never need.

As for our Honda, currently 3 electronic door locks don't work. Driver's side and both backseat. They all failed within a few weeks of each other. Over $1500 OTD to repair. Are we gonna fix it? F*ck no. We're not disabled.
What year is the Honda? That work should be warrantied by the repair shop.

I dunno man, you seem to have a lot of unique issues that don't really apply to the rest of us.

Reactions: Aruka and One-Off

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
You've probably never drove a car with manual windows. I can't tell you how many times someone has pulled up in the lane to my right, rolled down their window to talk to me, and I can't reply because I can't reach over in my van with my seat belt on and roll down the window.
Read the above.

I've owned one car with electronic windows.

In my other 25 years of driving I've only owned crank.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink