Official Bird & Nature Post

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
This is incredible. Skillz and speed.

The squirrel looked alive, until it was dropped.

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Caught this guy checking out our koi.
Those suckers are no joke.
If it fits in their mouth, it goes down.
We've got 1/2 dozen or so that hang around the estuary and State park.
Once, it looked like they were stalking frogs in the tall grass when one stabbed down through and came up with a gopher, choked his ass down in a heartbeat.

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
We were lounging by the pool in Kauai when one one those Cattle Egrets landed next to us. It sauntered into the flowers a few feet away and immediately snatched a field mouse. The poor little thing was squealing and kicking like mad. The bird just held it down with a foot and impaled it with his beak. That put an end to the squealing. Nature is brutal. 1700586038328.gif

Reactions: Joshua2415

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
We were lounging by the pool in Kauai when one one those Cattle Egrets landed next to us. It sauntered into the flowers a few feet away and immediately snatched a field mouse. The poor little thing was squealing and kicking like mad. The bird just held it down with a foot and impaled it with his beak. That put an end to the squealing. Nature is brutal. View attachment 167146
Bro “Nature has no conscience, no kindness, or ill will“ (311)

Joshua2415

Tom Curren status
Jul 18, 2005
San Clemente
Those suckers are no joke.
If it fits in their mouth, it goes down.
We've got 1/2 dozen or so that hang around the estuary and State park.
Once, it looked like they were stalking frogs in the tall grass when one stabbed down through and came up with a gopher, choked his ass down in a heartbeat.
I heard a bunch of loud squealing outside the office last spring but couldn't see what was making the noise. So I got up and walked around the corner and looked out from the conference room and saw a great blue heron with a baby rabbit hanging from its beak. It dropped it and quickly re-stabbed it and then flew away.

Reactions: npsp and keenfish

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
Caught this guy checking out our koi.
My ex and I had a nice pond with goldfish and stuff and there was a Heron who would fly in just at dark and pick off what it could. Often first thing in the morning too.

Eventually I strung a bunch of 10-inch pie plates on some 80 Lb. test mono across the pond in a couple of directions so they would turn and flip in the wind.
Kept most birds away.

Glad we don't have these guys around here though.
Awesome how they fake a big face to look bigger and more intimidating.

VultureFakeEyes.jpg

Take care.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
^ Dang, that was hard to watch.

Wait a minute.. weren't you one of the guys that said you'd like to see these things back in California?
Yes. I would not mind it. Grizzly bears used to be all over the west coast and all the way down into Mexico. Now, they only in Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, and occasionally a sighting in Colorado. And people still go camping/hiking in those areas. Just carry a gun and bear spray and you'll be fine. :monkey:

1701020691460.png

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
Yes. I would not mind it. Grizzly bears used to be all over the west coast and all the way down into Mexico. Now, they only in Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, and occasionally a sighting in Colorado. And people still go camping/hiking in those areas. Just carry a gun and bear spray and you'll be fine. :monkey:

View attachment 167412

We have had a few Grizzlies turn up on Vancouver Island the past decade or so.
They can easily swim across in the myriad of islands north of here and it's speculated that since a moratorium on hunting them has been in effect that some are being pushed out of areas where they might have established themselves previously. Add in the lack of returning salmon to some places on the Mainland and up some inlets and the pressure for them to move is considerable.
This one is near Sayward, about 40 miles north of Campbell River.

GrizzlySayward.jpg

Here's how big their paws can be.

GrizzlyBearPaw.jpg

Take care.