Official Bird & Nature Post

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
I heard about this the other day. What do you think it is Hump?

Looks like a wolf to me but what do I know about wolves. I live in Orange County.
It's a cross between a Wolf and a dog that someone dumped off.

I have a friend at Port Alberni who has had a couple of them, one now still, and they can be handled ok if you know how, but difficult for some it appears. Lots of open country where it's hanging out now and I imagine as soon as some authority group takes charge it will be either trapped or shot. Traps haven't worked yet.

Great looking animal but dangerous on the loose near popular dog walking areas, as events have shown.
Killed one dog yesterday and attacked another today apparently.

Sad situation all around.

Take care.

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
It's a cross between a Wolf and a dog that someone dumped off.

I have a friend at Port Alberni who has had a couple of them, one now still, and they can be handled ok if you know how, but difficult for some it appears. Lots of open country where it's hanging out now and I imagine as soon as some authority group takes charge it will be either trapped or shot. Traps haven't worked yet.

Great looking animal but dangerous on the loose near popular dog walking areas, as events have shown.
Killed one dog yesterday and attacked another today apparently.

Sad situation all around.

Take care.
Port Alberni is a beautiful place!
I fished a Salmon derby there once with an old girlfriend's uncle who used to own the restaurant/hotel/fuel and mooring docks at Ladysmith, just down from Nanaimo.

Too bad about the rouge hybrid pooch:(

Reactions: Hump

warble2

Gerry Lopez status
May 5, 2008
Love this shot of a Northern Flicker just lifting off.
View attachment 167498

Take care.
[/QUOTE]

We've got lots of those in my neighborhood and woods behind the house. Super charismatic and territorial little buggers. I like to call them in using the Merlin Bird ID app and LMAO as they dive bomb my kid on our hikes.

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Took a ride up to Goleta to check out the butterflies at Ellwood Grove.
Unfortunately, it was a bit too cold for them to be opened up, but we did see a few.
They look like a big clump of leaves until you look closer and realize its hundreds, sometimes thousands of them.
Not the best photo, but you can see 'em.

Windy day on the coast
IMG_1675.jpg
Shot at the moon (BTW there was a launch from Vandenberg an hour later)
IMG_1676.jpg
Interesting Eucalyptus trunk on the trail to the beach
IMG_1677.jpg
If you look close, they are there.
IMG_1680.jpg

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
This past weekend, on our hike, my wife was walking ahead and screamed. She thought there was a snake on the trail. It turned out to be the biggest lizard I've seen in these hills (Santa Monica Mountains). 18 inches long. It had its legs tucked under its body so it did look like a snake.

IMG_9083.JPG

Last edited: