Official Bird & Nature Post

Joshua2415

Tom Curren status
Jul 18, 2005
San Clemente

Got this Red-shouldered Hawk last weekend that had bands on both legs.
I still want to know who is doing the banding and how they catch these birds?
The aluminum band on the right leg is from Bird Banding Laboratory (part of the USGS) and the plastic colored band (different colors for different types of birds) is from the CDFW in conjunction with local raptor research groups and are used to track migration and hunting grounds of the various birds and to count the populations of the various raptors in a given area.

Last edited:

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
The aluminum band on the right leg is from Bird Banding Laboratory (part of the USGS) and the plastic colored band (different colors for different types of birds) is from the CDFW in conjunction with local raptor research groups and are used to track migration and hunting grounds of the various birds and to count the populations of the various raptors in a given area.
This is great info. Josh! I had no idea and I really appreciate your input. I'm going to look into this further. Thank you so much the intel. :thankful: :shaka:

• Love
Reactions: Joshua2415

Joshua2415

Tom Curren status
Jul 18, 2005
San Clemente
This is great info. Josh! I had no idea and I really appreciate your input. I'm going to look into this further. Thank you so much the intel. :thankful: :shaka:
The Google is your friend and you can find plenty of info, but I would suggest going over to the Sea & Sage Audobon Society (San Joaquin Wildlife Santuary) over on Campus Dr https://seaandsageaudubon.org/SJWS/sjws.htm . They probably have tons of info on local research groups. :computer:

Reactions: keenfish

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
The Google is your friend and you can find plenty of info, but I would suggest going over to the Sea & Sage Audobon Society (San Joaquin Wildlife Santuary) over on Campus Dr https://seaandsageaudubon.org/SJWS/sjws.htm . They probably have tons of info on local research groups. :computer:
I will go there this weekend personally. Thank you for the assist buddy! :)

Reactions: Joshua2415

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Big kitty with tics. Taken on a high school friend's dad's place in the northern outskirts of Poway (NE San Diego County). This guy, Jim Bremner, is an outstanding photographer and has all kinds of sensors and trips on his dad's place. He captures a lot a of great images of the wide range of wild life that is in our backyard.Bremner_BSR_ML.jpg

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
The Google is your friend and you can find plenty of info, but I would suggest going over to the Sea & Sage Audobon Society (San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary) over on Campus Dr https://seaandsageaudubon.org/SJWS/sjws.htm . They probably have tons of info on local research groups. :computer:

"Dave, sorry I got busy and let your message sit. It’s a very nice photo. I am sure we can track this bird down.

I have forwarded this to Pete Bloom, who is likely the person who banded this hawk. He has been studying raptors in Orange County for a very long time and I think uses these white bands. I know Pete will respond pretty quickly and will probably have some good information. And, will appreciate the information.

As for the kestrel you mentioned, that is more likely a bird that was banded at an airport by USDA as part of a program to reduce bird strikes with aircraft. Unfortunately, the bands are used mostly to determine if the bird returns to an airport after being captured, banded and relocated, not much information gets out about the bird to the public, including us.,"

"Yes, this is one of our birds, probably recently tagged by Barry Nerhus and Hal Batzloff. Thanks!! Pete"

"Yes, I trapped and banded that male RSHA with Barry on February 15 at Talbert"

"Excellent, the system works! Thanks"

"Great, that means it’s a local bird from that area!"

"Dave if you continue to observe this bird, please keep a log or notes and occasionally send them to Pete or Hal. I am sure they would also appreciate any additional photos you are willing to share.
Thanks again for contacting us, Scott"

-------

Thanks Josh for the lead on Sea and Sage. They are the guys. :shaka:

Joshua2415

Tom Curren status
Jul 18, 2005
San Clemente

"Dave, sorry I got busy and let your message sit. It’s a very nice photo. I am sure we can track this bird down.

I have forwarded this to Pete Bloom, who is likely the person who banded this hawk. He has been studying raptors in Orange County for a very long time and I think uses these white bands. I know Pete will respond pretty quickly and will probably have some good information. And, will appreciate the information.

As for the kestrel you mentioned, that is more likely a bird that was banded at an airport by USDA as part of a program to reduce bird strikes with aircraft. Unfortunately, the bands are used mostly to determine if the bird returns to an airport after being captured, banded and relocated, not much information gets out about the bird to the public, including us.,"

"Yes, this is one of our birds, probably recently tagged by Barry Nerhus and Hal Batzloff. Thanks!! Pete"

"Yes, I trapped and banded that male RSHA with Barry on February 15 at Talbert"

"Excellent, the system works! Thanks"

"Great, that means it’s a local bird from that area!"

"Dave if you continue to observe this bird, please keep a log or notes and occasionally send them to Pete or Hal. I am sure they would also appreciate any additional photos you are willing to share.
Thanks again for contacting us, Scott"

-------

Thanks Josh for the lead on Sea and Sage. They are the guys. :shaka:
That's awesome, glad they were able to hook you up with the info on your bird! :shaka:

Reactions: keenfish

surf-shot.com

Nep status
Feb 10, 2008
www.surf-shot.com
Re: banding raptors
This male juvenile bald eagle (a little less than two years old) was in LA County near Lancaster. It hatched at the Pelican Harbor nest on Santa Cruz Island in 2019 and was banded by the Institute for Wildlife Studies.

surf-shot-juvenile-Bald-Eagle-28-November-2020-X1000-000471.jpgsurf-shot-juvenile-Bald-Eagle-28-November-2020-000471-band.jpg

Female peregrine falcon hatched and banded at Black’s in 2007. Here she’s feeding one of her fledglings. She went through three different mates, the last was banded in Klamath, Oregon.

surf-shot-peregrine-falcons-26-May-2016--0280.jpg

Last edited:

Q_Surf

Duke status
May 5, 2003
world's largest oregon
Re: banding raptors
This male juvenile bald eagle (a little less than two years old) was in LA County near Lancaster. It hatched at the Pelican Harbor nest on Santa Cruz Island in 2019 and was banded by the Institute for Wildlife Studies.

View attachment 108428View attachment 108429

Female peregrine falcon hatched and banded at Black’s in 2007. Here she’s feeding one of her fledglings. She went through three different mates, the last was banded in Klamath, Oregon.

View attachment 108432
sorry, but it's akchually "Klameth"

• Haha
Reactions: HarryLopez2