*** Official Backpacking Thread ***

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Is your real name Randy Cox? Or did you rip that off from the intro to Horny Hikers #34?
1 No.

2 I hiked up to Little Yosemite Valley via the JMT, camped, it started snowing over night a tiny bit (about 2 cm deep in the A.M.), then hiked up to Quarter Dome with brief flurries of snow, then did the cables to top of Half Dome with more bursts of snowfall. Overhead the exchange between the couple in person. Paraphrased it for recitation here. I might have a better intro to "Motorbiker and Babes" with the time I gave a young woman hitchhiker a motorcycle ride to a methadone clinic down around 9th and Harrison. She offered a behind-the-dumpster-in-the-alley slap tickle and giggle as an expression of thanks. I declined like the gentleman I am.

Edit:

1 The whole reservation thing for camping spots is a blessing/curse thing.
2 I don't mind the vacant cramping spots and wish that I could luck out and have those vacant people next me more often....but when able, prefer this sort of camping (in Death Valley) when not hiking in:1617124569051.png

3 When Sweetie-pie and I hiked to the River from North Rim of Grand Canyon in mid 2000's, we had booked a cabin for two nights. Morning we were to leave, checked with rangers about a permit and camp spots. Lucked into a 4 day/night spot. HIked down for one night at Cottonwood, then two at Phantom, on way back up, another night at Cottonwood.

4 Was not at all lucky driving 200 miles to Page, AZ, at 4 AM to get permits to the Pariah Wilderness. Win some, nearly fall asleep and drive off the road to Page and lose some.

Last edited:
Reactions: rice

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
hike in running shorts with a liner...something light and airy so you stay dry

this goes for your whole body...shoe/sock combo and shirt...when you're moving, you don't need
a lot of layers to stay warm...more important to achieve minimum uv coverage and maximum
evaporation

I keep A&D or Bag Balm in the kit. I'm starting to prefer Bag Balm...it's got anti-septic quality so it
does double duty as a simple petroleum gel, but is also good as a recovery/heal...desitin is also
highly recommended, but I want one product for windburn on face, chapped lips, and to moisturize
dry skin on trail.

I lube up before, during, and definitely afterwards

also, consider washing your ass sometime, you filthy fkn animal
Jackie didn’t tell you to put the balm on!

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I’m telling you people.

brozilian

just do it

never look back
the problem is when it starts coming back in for that first couple days the cure is worse

just stay dry and lube

that said, I learned how to do bikini line and brazillian for ex and new gfs are super in to it

I was thinking of a obscured Tinder profile offering waxing just to see what sort of response I'd get

I'm so gisdusting

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
Backpacked the Trans Catalina trail with family and a bunch of friends; super fun. And tough; 28 miles and 8K' of climbing in 2 days. Then caught that south and camped at Church's for a couple nights.

1617818944903.png

1617818895757.png

1617819006279.png

1617819069823.png

1617819093063.png

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
did you jump the rocks at Little Harbor, @rice ?

II did back to back trips over spring break while boys were away....zion permitted and
grand canyon walkup

zion was 39 miles in 3 days, 2 nights. technical difficulties...no phone or camera on last day

the light was pretty spotty in this park and I dropped my camera and broke the new uv filter
I picked up before I ever left the pavement....this trip was really hard for so many reasons

1. friend's first trip
2. difficult logistics with car shuttle drop off
3. new zone with unique requirements
4. packing for two separate trips and car camping eventualities
5. food/drink/provisions for the whole thing

the main canyon was STUPID. angel's landing was STUPID. the main event is West Rim and
Hop Valley. holy shiitttttttttt

gnarly first day, but big rewards at the top...good to get past prep and moving on the trail

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Southern Utah is insane. Most beautiful place (above water) that I've ever been was Kauai. Second most beautiful was Coyote Gulch (in my humble opinion).

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
the problem is when it starts coming back in for that first couple days the cure is worse

just stay dry and lube

that said, I learned how to do bikini line and brazillian for ex and new gfs are super in to it

I was thinking of a obscured Tinder profile offering waxing just to see what sort of response I'd get

I'm so gisdusting
I was thinking of studying make up.

That would be a great way to meet girls.

I'm blown away with what a good make up job can do to a girl's face.

Maybe take some picture to show people sample of your work?

I love T And I love A but V is my true love.

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
did you jump the rocks at Little Harbor, @rice ?
You know I did. Two Harbors, too.

Your trip sounds killer but yeah, the valley and esp Angel's Landing on Spring Break is nuts. I can't believe more people don't die doing AL.

We had a similar thing with the two trips; the whole thing was a bday surprise for me so my wife just said pack your backpacking stuff in this car and car camping and surfboards in the van. Very disorienting.

But turned out killer.

• Love
Reactions: afoaf

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
After seeing and encountering hordes of normal people, leeches, weirdos etc at Chimney Peak, Walker Pass and Kennedy Meadows year after year when they migrate through that area, I would never want to do the PCT. I know there's something to compare it to, like some annual festival but I'm drawing a blank. At the same timeI think it would be rad to map out a mostly nature but include rural/city/coastal route with similar beginning/endpoints instead.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
DOGE to .26. Impressive run.

This is why I play the ALT game. It makes every other investment/trading instrument seem like a joke. As someone else said, this is life-changing, once-in-a-generation opportunity to build wealth.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I got shut down by the gate to the upper area this weekend and hit a zone on the mountain about halfway up where it flattens out and took some pics, then went down to Canebrake to find a way into and up the S Kern. It started snowing yesterday and this AM was even colder about 5k ft lower, and it's almost 90º at home right now. This AM was woken by a handful of yotes that sounded like a freaking party of a few dozen. A few choice roads and trailheads are closed for the entire year so getting in will take longer trips or being crafty.

meadow.jpg

beef.jpg

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I got shut down by the gate to the upper area this weekend and hit a zone on the mountain about halfway up where it flattens out and took some pics, then went down to Canebrake to find a way into and up the S Kern. It started snowing yesterday and this AM was even colder about 5k ft lower, and it's almost 90º at home right now. This AM was woken by a handful of yotes that sounded like a freaking party of a few dozen. A few choice roads and trailheads are closed for the entire year so getting in will take longer trips or being crafty.

View attachment 108139

View attachment 108140
I think the gate at Horseshoe to get in to upper GTW is still closed

I'm looking at a new rig for shooting on trail

ditching the Black Rapid for something like this:

I can keep the camera in center chest right at sternum strap and I'm ordering a really big bag with some different bells and whistles that I will wear four point attached to bottom of shoulder straps and the top of my waist belt...map/compass. phone. lenses. trail snacks, sunscreen. smokes.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I think the gate at Horseshoe to get in to upper GTW is still closed

I'm looking at a new rig for shooting on trail

ditching the Black Rapid for something like this:

I can keep the camera in center chest right at sternum strap and I'm ordering a really big bag with some different bells and whistles that I will wear four point attached to bottom of shoulder straps and the top of my waist belt...map/compass. phone. lenses. trail snacks, sunscreen. smokes.
Which camera are you using? I used to epoxy a mount/clip on one of my trekking poles and it served as a great monopod but the camera was so-so. I've been looking at this foreverz. I want light and submersible but not another Gopro, nor a heavy top of the line one, and the price is fine.

I'm guessing (hoping) Horseshoe will open but was told most of the stuff on the east side of the Kern well below the forks won't (Castle Fire area) all year, and looking at the FS site, every trailhead up there to Ponderosa is currently closed. You could hike over trail pass, 14m or so across GTW to Volcano Falls and drop into the Kern Valley and it would probably be empty for as far down river as you want. Plus if you're hoofing it, I don't think it would matter if you exit at a closed trailhead.