*** Official Backpacking Thread ***

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
107 in the Willamette Valley on Sun:barf: one fire already burning south of Hood. Usually take a few trips in high Cascades and wait until August for the mozies to fuck off, but I am seeing that window fleeing this summer expecting a gnarly wildfire season. One of my favorite zones, a trip a buddy an I make annually was torched last summer too. May have to drive 5 hours north this year if its not burning or smoked out there too.

• Wow
Reactions: Mr Doof

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
there was a fire at Horseshoe Meadow and another in Whitney Portal zone

a bunch of public lands in AZ are being preemptively closed to recreation because
they don't have the resources to fight fires on multiple fronts.

northern AZ is getting hammered

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: crustBrother

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
May have to stay costal and hit up the Oly P and do the Olympics, but I think its all permit system nonsense. And I'll have to be sure to avoid the sketchy cities up there :ROFLMAO:

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
May have to stay costal and hit up the Oly P and do the Olympics, but I think its all permit system nonsense. And I'll have to be sure to avoid the sketchy cities up there :ROFLMAO:
I have been having great luck with the rolling virtual walk up system this year at a couple
different parks.

Cascades Wilderness implemented this new system which I think is great:

Going forward, I hope all permitting systems have a 6 month, 60, day, 1/2 week rolling release system

it totally pre-empts poaching and sites going unused, especially once people come to realize that the
last minute permits are totally accessible.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I have been having great luck with the rolling virtual walk up system this year at a couple
different parks.

Going forward, I hope all permitting systems have a 6 month, 60, day, 1/2 week rolling release system

it totally pre-empts poaching and sites going unused, especially once people come to realize that the
Do you bring your dog?

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
you guys ultralight?
gas or alcohol?
poles?
and what's your footwear choice?

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
different parks.

I like it And hope the same.

many moons ago, I tried for many moons to get a permit for Grand Canyon and was never selected. got impatient and decided to go stealth. Did R-2-R-2-R in 49 hrs. Rolled into camp after hours and found empty sites. Rested for a few hours,l and out early. No tents, just bags and a bivy sack for the second night when it got chilly. The north rim being closed was helpful.

spoke with the park service prior to leaving. While they didn’t condone, they didn’t stop us and just wanted to know an approximate amount of hikers in the park for safety and emergency purposes. said good luck. Had a great but quick trip. Would like to keep it by the books but had to do it.

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
you guys ultralight?
gas or alcohol?
poles?
I can’t seem to get below 24-25lbs. So kinda borderline ultralight.

avoid fuel.

generally yes to pole sometimes to poles.

depends. Light, breathable and waterproof that fit well.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I like it And hope the same.

many moons ago, I tried for many moons to get a permit for Grand Canyon and was never selected. got impatient and decided to go stealth. Did R-2-R-2-R in 49 hrs. Rolled into camp after hours and found empty sites. Rested for a few hours,l and out early. No tents, just bags and a bivy sack for the second night when it got chilly. The north rim being closed was helpful.

spoke with the park service prior to leaving. While they didn’t condone, they didn’t stop us and just wanted to know an approximate amount of hikers in the park for safety and emergency purposes. said good luck. Had a great but quick trip. Would like to keep it by the books but had to do it.
GCNP rangers took real good care of us on a hike along Tonto, put us in to a great itinerary
even though it was not our first choice.

we ran in to a guy who dropped his pad; I was wrecked and didn't think to give/get contact
info until he was too far away to catch

found his pad, called ranger and explained I wanted to get gear back, and they said they didn't
have anyone permitted moving that way. I still have the pad and use it all the time now.

I've run in to rangers in the backcountry in SEKI and Zion....in both cases they never asked
for permits or checked bear canisters

Do you bring your dog?
by and large dogs are not allowed and bringing them back there is really bad practice

it's terrible for wild life, terrible for the dog...if you can't carry the dog out, leave the dog
home

you guys ultralight?
gas or alcohol?
poles?
ultralight...my total load for 8 days in sierra off trail with bear canister and total coverage
is about 25 pounds all in, including what I'm wearing

in los padres during fair weather, I'll be 15 pounds with food...you're barely feel it at that
point...no blisters...easy miles...muy divertido

poles are great. no shame. awesome for descents. use for my tarps so I don't have to carry
a heavy tent.

footwear in order of preference:

https://bedrocksandals.com/products/cairn-3d-adventure-sandals - good everywhere, especially
if there is a lot of water crossing and/or it's hot

https://www.merrell.com/US/en/trail-glove-6/48686M.html - if the terrain is more gnarles..off-trail

https://www.sportiva.com/tx3.html - if I have to scramble anything class three with a pack...whitney

I fkn love this stuff super hard

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
When we did 4 day trip to Phantom Ranch from North Rim, we just showed up. Park Services used to (still does?) hold a few hiking/camping permits for non-reservation folk. (Also, people cancel all the time.)

Also helped that the forecast for those four days was going to be 110+ F at the bottom during the days we were there.

By the way, the walking down part was a snap on the first day even with a pack. Next day, all the small downhill walking/balancing muscles were crazy sore...every step down the next morning for first few hours made me question my choices in life and want more than aspirin in the hiking kit.

PS

Brought mosquito netting and two collapsible tent poles...tent poles in X position, drape net over, soak camp towel in creek, lay down, put towel on chest, evaporative cooling allows fitful sleep, think it maybe got down to 85-90 at night.

You were dancing around the question. It's bad practice to peddle Boones Farm to sorority girls, especially the ones leftover around 2Am that you stand no chance of "carrying out" but I suppose you never did that either......
Boone's Farm takes me back to 6th grade and running around like a crazy idiot with a bunch of similarly dosed neighborhood kids during the summer night in a field when we were supposed to be watching the Perseids. Good times!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: crustBrother

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I ordered this today. Should be fun with the macro (44x magnification) features and underwater to 50', loaded with cool features.
Next is a small revolver. The problem is going to gun shops and telling the guy you want a backcountry gun. First thing they start pulling ARs off the shelves and then 357 mags when you say you want a small handgun, then lecture you about hunting bears and wild boars.

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
If you know what you're doing and demonstrate a suitable level of competence and accountability, the rangers won’t ask for a permit. They literally want to know a headcount for when sh!t hits the fan.

so, how does one break less than 20lb for a 3 day trek?

I can’t do it. Tried and And tried but always end up at ~26lb With a reasonable level of first aid and prepared for a 4th or 5th day.