*** Official Backpacking Thread ***

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Alta Peak?
Correct mountain range! The Sierras. The range of light.

But this peak is quite a bit north of Sequoia and a little bit west

You may have read about Muir's first ascent of the peak right next to this one. He scared the sh!t out of himself and thought he was going to die.

Last edited:

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Close to Banner Peak?
right on top of Banner Peak in fact!

we ascended from Lake Catherine and one of the girls snapped that pic of me up on top

of all that peaks i've bagged, Banner is my fav

one more shot taken back in 2018 from Blue Lake facing east towards the Minarets with Banner and Ritter on the left end of the distant horizon

1696012168935.png

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Thought it could have been Davis or Ritter...never been to that part of the Sierra. I've been trying to get a friend to hike to the top of Banner Peak with me for a while.

You bring an ice ax with you, crampons? Doesn't look like it in the summer picture....you do this in Sept? August? Been told it is easier/faster with some snow.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Thought it could have been Davis or Ritter...never been to that part of the Sierra. I've been trying to get a friend to hike to the top of Banner Peak with me for a while.

You bring an ice ax with you, crampons? Doesn't look like it in the summer picture....you do this in Sept? August? Been told it is easier/faster with some snow.
keep in mind we were coming up from Lake Catherine where we were camped on the west side of Ritter/Banner. i think most folks ascend via Ediza and the Nydivers on the east, right?

anyway, none of us had axes/spikes but *absolutely* should have had them for the route we choose for descent

it was something like this....

1696018138379.png

absolute madness without spikes and ax. sooooooo dumb.

Reactions: Mr Doof

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
keep in mind we were coming up from Lake Catherine where we were camped on the west side of Ritter/Banner. i think most folks ascend via Ediza and the Nydivers on the east, right?

anyway, none of us had axes/spikes but *absolutely* should have had them for the route we choose for descent

it was something like this....

View attachment 163665

absolute madness without spikes and ax. sooooooo dumb.
Lake Catherine in 2008. 'They' said that glacier would be gone in 10 yrs...looks like it's still there. Love that whole area...there's a really neat glacier moraine at the base of Banner Peak behind Thousand Island Lake.
LakeCatherine.jpg

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Whenever we are in REI my daughter looks at the backpacking meals and always want to try them (we don't backpack). As (kind of?) a joke I thought I‘d buy some for her birthday dinner coming up.

Any suggestions/favorites?

Last edited:

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Whenever we are in REI my daughter looks at the backpacking meals and always want to try them (we don't backpack). As (kind of?) a joke I thought I buy some for her birthday dinner coming up.

Mountain House Beef Stroganoff.

If you really want to prank her, buy this.

The sh!t is inedible, even after a 20 mile day on the trail.

Joshua2415

Tom Curren status
Jul 18, 2005
San Clemente
Whenever we are in REI my daughter looks at the backpacking meals and always want to try them (we don't backpack). As (kind of?) a joke I thought I buy some for her birthday dinner coming up.

Some of my go-tos in the past have been:
Beef Stroganoff with Noodles
Chicken Teriyaki
Beef Lasagna
Fettucine Alfredo with Chicken
Rice & Chicken
Chili Mac with Beef (make sure you're sleeping alone after this one ;))

• Haha
Reactions: One-Off

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Mountain House Beef Stroganoff.

If you really want to prank her, buy this.

The sh!t is inedible, even after a 20 mile day on the trail.
Peak Refuel > Mountain House by MEEEELIONS

I've done Joshua Tree, Death Valley, and Los Padres so far this year. Sierra season is open!

I'm making a second attempt at this one in August.

current load out: https://lighterpack.com/r/xcd3ys

I make my own meals mostly now. Deyhydrated refried beans, knorr mexican rice packet, tortillas, some chicken bouillon, some tapatio packets and fritos

bang bang beans and rice, bros!