*** Official 2024 Community Surf Journal ***

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Yesterday was brutal at the left reef. Tide outgoing to a minus. Wind conspiring with the reverse current to suck me too deep. Choppy, stair step double up drops on my backhand. Got so drilled on a couple, followed by multiple beatings back to the channel. I surfed alone for like 45 minutes out of sheer stubbornness. Got one wave that lined up and allowed for a turn before closing out. I went in after that.

This morning was much better. Rode the new Cheat Code as a quad (H4's) and surfed some racey, HH+ rights at my favorite spot up North. Actually got denied on my first attempt to paddle out which hasn't happened to me in a long time. My second attempt went better and I got a fun 'tweener right off the bat. My buddy was out there before me but he was struggling to figure it out, chasing wide ones that were mostly closeouts and put you in a really bad spot. He followed me up to the top of the bar and got himself a good one and we pretty much stayed busy for a two hour session. The board felt better and better as the session went on. Not exactly the surf I had in mind for it and at times I had to nurse it a little but it actually impressed me. Some of the better waves had sort of a flat outside section and then they would bowl up and run down the line. I was able to get some good speed going through the flats and carry it into the better part of the wave. Pretty stocked.
You just had to outdo my long 40 min sesh with 5 min more, didn’t ya, you artisanal spoon carver?

Let’s see that pad placement on the new bort, sir.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Same time, place, surfboard and fin setup. Smaller than yesterday but glassy and plenty of punch. Some long lulls which kept me from really finding a rhythm. The water is freezing and once my feet started to feel it, things really went downhill. I did get one super nuggy one so overall it was a good session. Cheat Code felt great.

motosurf

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 19, 2008
Got Con’d driving past on the way to where I was planning on going. Enough size but inconsistent and south wind came up. Was good enough to stay out for 3hrs. Got a few from the indicator through the river mouth but was choppy enough that I was just trying to stay on my board.

Stayed in my wetsuit and drove to where I had originally planned. Was offshore and barreling. Got a few on the shoulder to get my board under my feet then went on a set wave and pulled in.

Bounced my head off the bottom and filled my wetsuit with sand. Wind went more onshore there also and got weird but I managed to get another decent one. Should have went with my gut and gone there first but sometimes you make the wrong call. Still fun and tired after 4.5hrs in the water.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Jj
Got Con’d driving past on the way to where I was planning on going. Enough size but inconsistent and south wind came up. Was good enough to stay out for 3hrs. Got a few from the indicator through the river mouth but was choppy enough that I was just trying to stay on my board.

Stayed in my wetsuit and drove to where I had originally planned. Was offshore and barreling. Got a few on the shoulder to get my board under my feet then went on a set wave and pulled in.
had a feeling it would be good there

Reactions: Havoc and motosurf

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Couple colds and other crap has kept me out of the water quite a bit. Damn I felt so weak this morning.

Flare treated me quite well though and the water was nice.
ive had maybe 5 sessions this year. kid cold season has beeen vicious for us this year.

someone in my house has been puking or pooping themselves since mid-January, fml.

when we aren’t making messes of ourselves major items break in the house and I’m on handy man duties instead of maintenance surf.

Jan 10, 2014
ive had maybe 5 sessions this year. kid cold season has beeen vicious for us this year.

someone in my house has been puking or pooping themselves since mid-January, fml.

when we aren’t making messes of ourselves major items break in the house and I’m on handy man duties instead of maintenance surf.
Right there with ya. Sick family most of the time starting in January. Got a surprisingly epic gulf session on Friday. Mostly close outs but “heavy” for around here.IMG_2777.jpeg

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
“Surfed” for the first time in nearly 3 months yesterday after a broken scaffoid (wrist). Went to a mellow reef that ended up being bigger than I expected and it was quite a shitshow for me with a combo of being completely out of shape, having no strength in that hand/arm/wrist, and dealing with a brace that made my hand slip off the board repeatedly for several complete yard sales.
Managed to stand up a couple times like a baby giraffe and felt like I’d surfed for 5 hours. Ugh.
Baby steps….

Last edited:

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
windy afternoon yesterday but nobody at a reef that was organized enough to grab some fun waves in the sloppy conditions, kind of like a mogul run trying to find the right lines to connect the dots and tag a section here and there, got sucked over the falls on a failed duck dive, that was a surprise.

Reactions: Havoc and Aruka