*** Official 2024 Community Surf Journal ***

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
mid morning yesterday, super glassy, some swell but not hitting the first couple spots I wanted to surf, so went to the point and had a good hour and 15 minutes with average crowd, mixed up swell was hitting different spots of the point so there was plenty to go around. water felt warmer too.

Reactions: Havoc

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
most crowded i ever seen it there on the cam last night. stomach high and not that good and looked like lowers crowds. same water temp too.
First hurricane swell after the summer doldrums this season or last. I forget which, but like 2x last night's crowd and half the size.

I opted for a loglunch up the street. Lovely weather and very, very good water color. If we were looking at 2 days of NW breeze flatness instead of a Southerly flow to milk it up, I'd be trying to road trip to talk some Treasure Coast homies into the surf launch lobster mission. If the water looks like that up here vis has to be good.

Low 60s water plus sun feeling pristine to me. Busted out the 3/2 comp and felt glorious. Drylocks drydocked.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
been almost 2 weeks since i surfed
so i figured i'd give it a shot, looked mediocre
930 am beach full and parking sh!t. is it spring break for some people?
paddled out to an empty lineup and got a couple ok waves, my surfing felt pretty weak
but at least i was alone
then some dude paddled out and sat next to me
long ass wait for some crappy wave to go in on
another guy joined me
got a dribbler and gtfo

Reactions: Havoc and sh3

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Been a while since the last surf, but decided to go to the right down the street with the wifey. Terrible conditions. Beautiful sunshine. Caught a few and solo'd at the top, until the 4 others saw I was catching and connecting them. Still had a few, and an hour in the sun felt great. I needed the Dopamine hit, for sure!

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
Maybe that explains it then. After watching oddly unoccupied waves on the cam for like 20 minutes, I went to the most crowded spot between OBX Fighthouse and Ponce Inlet around 1, for the first time since hurricane season 2020. Felt like ass for some reason but did not once have any interaction for priority. No need to defend deeper, nobody hopping, no sections paddled down, nobody in the way, nothing. I saw Garrett showing up when I was leaving and I asked him, does it seem oddly empty to you? He agreed and thought it might be some contest down in Cocoa.
You lucked out on a one day anomaly. Back in full effect:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
$.02

Last week was mostly 'fun', but....

The back half of this winter is laying an egg especially by El Nino standards. We had a fun week but it's early March. A fun week in early March is supposed to be, "Those who can't duck dive, don't even bother coming to the beach."

We've also suffered, badly, from it being sooooo close to at least being a very high quality version of what was on offer. Take Saturday for example. Another 20 degrees of offshore angle during the meat of the low tide would have turned it from fun, but kind of had to wait and pick through ones with cross bump, to every wave over thigh high is perfect and the ones over stomach high you can easily tuck into a shampoo, come out and hit a turn. If the wind had turned juuuuuuust a little earlier Saturday morning, there would have been tubes galore underneath instead of some wedges and seeing a spitter or two down the beach but not getting good sniffs on any.

We've had two days in the last 2-3 weeks with just pristine conditions and a good swell mix for the weekday lunch window, but the size was "still got it" on a shortboard where really, if it had been that little bit bigger, you wouldn't count it as a proving session because it was easy to catch many waves and do many turns on a regular shortboard.

March 11th now and no real swells on the forecast.

Jan 10, 2014
Haha fair enough. The gulfster pics of RCs always make it look enticing. Yeah the back of this month is looking so slow..even for us over here. We had a good or at least consistent winter too-not a lot of quality but a surprising amount of days where you could surf. I’m afraid summer is setting in quick. I wonder how badly the beach renourishment in satellite is going to mess up their sand bars

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Haha fair enough. The gulfster pics of RCs always make it look enticing. Yeah the back of this month is looking so slow..even for us over here. We had a good or at least consistent winter too-not a lot of quality but a surprising amount of days where you could surf. I’m afraid summer is setting in quick. I wonder how badly the beach renourishment in satellite is going to mess up their sand bars
Okay Nattylight definitely had a day or two. But it should be having a week or two.

Personally I wouldn't worry about Nattylight's sandbars. The place doesn't really thump even when it's overhead and dead low tide if it wasn't for the rockage it'd probably be 20 foot deep and only useful for fishing and skimboarding. Filling that in with some sand might actually help out smaller days/higher tides.

To me the consistency has been unremarkable. January and lots of February can suffer from some mid-winter doldrums. March is like November - unrideable days are supposed to be very rare.

I share your sense re: Summer. The flip side is, if we keep it up with regular low-latitude fronts plus how warm everything but the nearshore North Florida coastal waters are, April and May could see good events from storms spooling up over the supercharged **** puddle.

Reactions: Havoc and tcureton

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Haven't surfed in 2 weeks or so. The windows have not aligned well.
it was 10-15' and windy out front so I surfed around the corner with 25 of my best mates.
Spot - 2
Me - 0

Got skunked. It was pretty inconsistent up top as the tide drained moving toward sunset. The usuals were getting what sets came through and I couldn't get in rhythm. I took out the same old board I surfed out front 2 weeks ago: 12 year old 6'4" rounded pin a friend made me that has served me well, but it's been in the garage for the better part of the last 5-10 years. Not exactly the board for the 2-4' day, but it wouldn't "not work", the fins were in it, and I didn't have a ton of time.

The draining tide and less than mega swell made the long paddle more of a walk and wade.
I considered hanging at the bottom of the point and catching the wide ones, but the current just brought me out to the top where I bobbed around in the eddy current at all the wrong times. Most of the fun ones I could've grabbed, I pulled back to let someone deeper go who ultimately pulled back. Getting frustrated, I just started going on shitty, small, gurgly ones off the rock. I think I made one drop and blew the rest before I fell and my board launched into the rock. Toast. I wanted to get one in but I was getting more and more frustrated and ultimately bellied a few down the point and went home pissed. I guess this is why people quit.

• Dislike
Reactions: Havoc, sh3 and PRCD

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Desperation surf sunday afternoon. Told myself I’d go no matter what as it was really a maintenance/fitness session and excuse to get out of the house.

after single parenting for the weekend it was the best worst session I’ve had in a while. lol.

Last edited:

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
Haven't surfed in 2 weeks or so. The windows have not aligned well.
it was 10-15' and windy out front so I surfed around the corner with 25 of my best mates.
Spot - 2
Me - 0

Got skunked. It was pretty inconsistent up top as the tide drained moving toward sunset. The usuals were getting what sets came through and I couldn't get in rhythm. I took out the same old board I surfed out front 2 weeks ago: 12 year old 6'4" rounded pin a friend made me that has served me well, but it's been in the garage for the better part of the last 5-10 years. Not exactly the board for the 2-4' day, but it wouldn't "not work", the fins were in it, and I didn't have a ton of time.

The draining tide and less than mega swell made the long paddle more of a walk and wade.
I considered hanging at the bottom of the point and catching the wide ones, but the current just brought me out to the top where I bobbed around in the eddy current at all the wrong times. Most of the fun ones I could've grabbed, I pulled back to let someone deeper go who ultimately pulled back. Getting frustrated, I just started going on shitty, small, gurgly ones off the rock. I think I made one drop and blew the rest before I fell and my board launched into the rock. Toast. I wanted to get one in but I was getting more and more frustrated and ultimately bellied a few down the point and went home pissed. I guess this is why people quit.
sf in the spring is where a young surfers dreams go to die

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
"Did I really not throw any spray on that turn? No, must be something wrong with the Surfline cam."

Self deception is the key to happiness, or not watching cam rewinds idk.

Surfed my 10'6" yesterday out at high tide Swamis. Sat 20 yards outside everyone like a real prick. Sunstone today at funsize Cardiff, definitely seemed like it was struggling with the tide but I caught a few fun ones.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
"Did I really not throw any spray on that turn? No, must be something wrong with the Surfline cam."

Self deception is the key to happiness, or not watching cam rewinds idk.

Surfed my 10'6" yesterday out at high tide Swamis. Sat 20 yards outside everyone like a real prick. Sunstone today at funsize Cardiff, definitely seemed like it was struggling with the tide but I caught a few fun ones.
what fins?

• Haha
Reactions: PRCD

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Today was a good day. Scored locally with my neighbor and the other ripper groms. Such a treat as the wave never gets good. One hour and that was it! hahah

went out this afternoon at the point. Cover runner fun, windy and wonky but some corners.Hope its not windy tomorow.

Reactions: sh3

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Apart from a big day last Wednesday it's been a slow week. Clean beach break on Sunday, but so many people here, surfers and picnickers and everything, that it felt like a different place.

Last two days looked like they were gonna be sh!t, but ended up surfing outer point solo at shoulder high+. Got some fast runners, kooked some, did some turns, daydreamed a bit. Very nice.

Back to work tomorrow at 5.30am :-(

Edit: made the mistake of watching footage of big Sunset, and all I want to do now it stroke into a big right on a 10'6 single, do a big bottom turn and cruise down the line.

Mar 12, 2024
G'day mates! I've just launched a free surfing journal app and I'm on the hunt for some honest feedback. I'm keen to find out whether other surfers besides myself find it handy to track your surfing adventures. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The app has three main parts:

- Sessions: This is where you register your surfing sessions, the conditions, rating and self-reflection, among others.
- Quiver: Here you can add the surfboards you own or have tried, so you can refer to these before paddling out.
- Goals: A place to create and track your surfing goals, like wave selection or specific manoeuvres.

Here's the link: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/surflog-improve-your-surfing/id6475609613?ign-itscg=30200&ign-itsct=apps_box_link&platform=iphone

Cheers!
D