*** Official 2024 Community Surf Journal ***

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Same recipe as yesterday, but the waves didn't really come to the party. Still had 2 very pleasant hours in boardies without being the least bit cold, and got some ok waves. Warmest water I've ever surfed in NZ.

Tomorrow morning could be ON at the big sandbar, and the 8'0 Keogh is going in the car this evening. Froth prepping!

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
I phoned it in after a gauntlet of a week, grabbed my 9'6", and went to my local. -1.7ft of tide, everyone is still sitting on the usual peak. I am watching it for 30 seconds, and see a perfect right peeling off to the north.

I proceed to surf it alone for 1 hour, clean up, leave with a huge grin on my face.

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
People don’t like wind. Fun waves and almost no crowd today.

More aha moments on the alpha omega. Back foot is so key with this board. Such a trip.
Have you posted a full board report on this? I've never owner a bonzer, but like reading about them... And this one's a twin... Like feed us duu

Reactions: santacruzin

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
My 20-something nephew wanted to go for a surf this morning at the peak high king tide, and reefs were swamped, so met him down at Practice Beach. might be the most dangerous lineup in SD county. what a zoo: beginners, kooks, adult learners, midlenghtns, wavestorms, gopros, iPhones in waterproof bags, bailed boars, dropins, go-straights, zero wave/surf etiquette, obstacle course, 10 people paddling for any wave yet most missing it.
Rode 7'0 dankness, caught a ton of waves, but man, it was hectic. Got a couple longer ones that lined up as the tide started to drop, weaved my way through the human buoys to the sand.
Nice n toasty in 3mil hooded. Getting used to hood rather than plugs.
Coached my nephew a bit. He's getting better, needs to work on pushing his turns harder. Stocked to spend some quality time with him.

Last edited:

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
welcome to the old man crowd!
Went back for more of the same the day after. So far my experience on the middy is as follows:

Number of sessions, up. Number of waves caught, up. Length of ride, up (surfed a point with middle-fat section). Number of cutbacks per wave, up.

No downsides for where I've been surfing it. To quote a mate of mine while we were out and in our own little rhythm ( we were super gay and got middies both the same day) " i feel like such a fucking idiot for not having one of these sooner"

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Went back for more of the same the day after. So far my experience on the middy is as follows:

Number of sessions, up. Number of waves caught, up. Length of ride, up (surfed a point with middle-fat section). Number of cutbacks per wave, up.

No downsides for where I've been surfing it. To quote a mate of mine while we were out and in our own little rhythm ( we were super gay and got middies both the same day) " i feel like such a fucking idiot for not having one of these sooner"
It’s a slippery slope. Welcome to the arms race. Before you know it you’ll be in Beachbeat talking to Bowie and feeling up longboards. You know, just for those small days but before you know it….! Full time wave harvester.
Mate of mine on the GC used to ride low volume alt boards. Then I surfed with him one time at Lacey’s lane where I was riding a 7’4” and getting waves from out the back through the fat sections and connecting the inside. He was basically getting the bottom turn into deep water and stopping dead.
He got himself a Pacer 7’ egg from Beachbeat and eventually sold all his small boards.
Now he won’t ride anything under 7’ and I often ask him don’t you missing do a hack or something on shorter boards. Nope he says.
Me I can’t do that.

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
It’s a slippery slope. Welcome to the arms race. Before you know it you’ll be in Beachbeat talking to Bowie and feeling up longboards. You know, just for those small days but before you know it….! Full time wave harvester.
Mate of mine on the GC used to ride low volume alt boards. Then I surfed with him one time at Lacey’s lane where I was riding a 7’4” and getting waves from out the back through the fat sections and connecting the inside. He was basically getting the bottom turn into deep water and stopping dead.
He got himself a Pacer 7’ egg from Beachbeat and eventually sold all his small boards.
Now he won’t ride anything under 7’ and I often ask him don’t you missing do a hack or something on shorter boards. Nope he says.
Me I can’t do that.
I can relate to the first part, but not the second. I need exactly one middy, one log / prone and the rest are for shreddable days.

Reactions: oeste858

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
sewing circle. pretty common amongst the competent kooks post covid.

on another note. fun morning. could have ended better. hate it when the landlord shows up and shuts it down
:shark: