*** Official 2023 Community Surf Journal ***

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Solid surf, thick crowd. Got two good long ones in 30min. Lots of dropins, party waves, kickouts, and a couple collisions (not my fault today!). Wish I surfed more waves but maiden voyage of Insanity was a hit. Love the feel of Varial carbon. Boar just looks sexy AF. Outline feels great paddling and getting into waves. Got several big FS wraps and carves in on CH-HH faces. Quad was nice and smooth. Went with my favorite small 3.75 rears since it’s a fairly pulled in swallow. Curious to try as a thruster and also see how it does in softer smaller waves. Stocked.
:shaka:
IMG_7306.jpeg

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Hadn't surfed in 8 days, checked the cams on a whim after work, saw semi-clean, burgery but well-overhead to 2x surf with no one out. Asked the wife for a pass. Got it.

Brought the 7'2 Hess cuz it looked like a lot of work getting out to the outer bars. Classic OB abuse. 25 minutes of paddling through foam and swirling water. A lot of whitewaters rolling through the trough between bars. Finally got a lull and sneaked out between sets just to the north and south of me.

Hard to position with the current whisking me quickly north. Caught inside the third wave of a set. One of those paralyzing situations where you're not sure if you can sneak under the lip or if paddling will just put you right in the impact zone. Ended up holding my ground and letting the wave break a few yards in front of me. Went for the duck dive instead of ditching and barely held on to my board. Out the back again and more of the same for the next 45 minutes before I grabbed closeout. Kinda treacherous getting in through the inside bar. Good adversity training, I guess. :shrug:

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Hadn't surfed in 8 days, checked the cams on a whim after work, saw semi-clean, burgery but well-overhead to 2x surf with no one out. Asked the wife for a pass. Got it.

Brought the 7'2 Hess cuz it looked like a lot of work getting out to the outer bars. Classic OB abuse. 25 minutes of paddling through foam and swirling water. A lot of whitewaters rolling through the trough between bars. Finally got a lull and sneaked out between sets just to the north and south of me.

Hard to position with the current whisking me quickly north. Caught inside the third wave of a set. One of those paralyzing situations where you're not sure if you can sneak under the lip or if paddling will just put you right in the impact zone. Ended up holding my ground and letting the wave break a few yards in front of me. Went for the duck dive instead of ditching and barely held on to my board. Out the back again and more of the same for the next 45 minutes before I grabbed closeout. Kinda treacherous getting in through the inside bar. Good adversity training, I guess. :shrug:

Ha. I saw the winds kinda slacked and asked for the same and got denied. It's been a long coupla weeks.
Sounds like I dodged a bullet.

It's funny how Surfline will forecast double digit winds almost by default.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Swell still solid, HH sets, slightly wonkier than yesterday but maybe 70% of waves lining up pretty good and running all the way through. Crowd still thick but not as heavy. Couple older crew on staps that only come out when there's swell. Sat under those guys and got the ones they missed, fell, split the peak, or swung wide. Lots of duckdive practice. Took some beatings on the inside.

2nd sesh on 6'0 Insanity. Loving it. Swapped in the TA Album quads and they felt real smooth, with fluid buttery turns. Snagged a few long FS runners under the outer pack, did several gouges and figure8 wraps. Boar just flows into the next move.
IMG_7316.jpeg

Last edited:

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Those quad rears look reallllly raked in that photo
Could be some camera distortion. I was trying to frame the front fin in between the back two to show the outline.
They definitely are rakier than some other quad rears, say the Rastas. The TA TWs are also. Both feel really “flowy”

Last edited:
Reactions: Havoc

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Swell 8ft @17sec. Wind perfect, fresh offshore. Waves very very powerful and fast, and I got a ton of beatings, but lots of gems too.
Only paddler. 8'0 Keogh. 4 hours.
Keogh is working well for you, eh? What are the full dims again?

I haven't surfed in nearly three months. Probably the longest I've gone without surfing in like 15 years.

Don't take it for granted boys! Being landlocked sucks.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Bloody hell! What's the situation, Rookah?

The Keogh is 8'0 x 20 1/4 x 3 1/4 x heavy. Lots of windage up the faces and good size, so it was the perfect board today.

Reactions: Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Bloody hell! What's the situation, Rookah?

The Keogh is 8'0 x 20 1/4 x 3 1/4 x heavy. Lots of windage up the faces and good size, so it was the perfect board today.
buggered knee. been doing lots of rehab and starting to feel like I could get wet again but going to give it a bit longer so that I hopefully don't refucker it right away.

those dims sound good. i like my paddy but might try something a little sleeker next winter. it's similar dims but really packs the foam and the glass job is super heavy. might do something a little narrower and not so heavy.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
buggered knee. been doing lots of rehab and starting to feel like I could get wet again but going to give it a bit longer so that I hopefully don't refucker it right away.

those dims sound good. i like my paddy but might try something a little sleeker next winter. it's similar dims but really packs the foam and the glass job is super heavy. might do something a little narrower and not so heavy.
Be 3 weeks tomorrow since I had hernia surgery and I'm already losing my mind. Last couple of days I've put boards in the van and have talked myself out of it because I know its probably too soon because mine wasn't an easy fix.
So I feel your pain. Doesn't help that the points have been lot up like Christmas trees lately that is for sure. About to head into a run of marginal swell which should make it more bearable.
The other danger is buying boards I fully don't need which I have resisted...so far.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
good luck rucker. When I re-injured my meniscus I think I was out 4-5 months. Did well with PT and came back with some pain still but it eventually went away. I think that has to happen IMO where you try to push through and if it works, great, if not, get that sucker worked on.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise

what boar messed ur knee up?

u’ll be back before u know it. the waves will always be there

Reactions: Retropete and Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Thanks fellas. It was actually easier in a way when the knee was totally messed up and swollen because surfing was just so obviously out of the question. Also the weather was really bad so there was not a lot of temptation.

Lately its gotten nice and the knee feels good enough to do all of my everyday stuff. My driveway pops out onto the highway 101 right at my local break so I cant go anywhere without seeing the conditions. Last weekend was super warm and calm and a fresh swell running. Pretty brutal even though the sand bars arent amazing.

At least ive been able to work out every morning. Got an airbike that ive been using a lot. Lots of hip and ankle strengthening stuff. My legs are feeling as strong as ever. The knee isnt pain free through the whole range of motion yet but i think its still improving. Its just very slow.

I might start to do some paddles just to get a little of that fitness back.

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Good timing and don't think you missed much this spring. Was a ragged biotch up here. Persistently grey cold and always some variation of onshore wind. Last weekend was probably the best swell conditions combo since last fall, but sand bars are off all over IME. Luckily talked the wifey into a little Mothers Day adventure to my local "kelpy reef". Far from epic but a lot more serviceable than what I have found. Shoulda been on the Syth84, but opted for the security of quad fish. Now its back to meh and quickly going into the summer dolies. Time for other hobbies and maybe a 10 day a surf trip in July.

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Happy hour couple o days ago. Too many beers in to give it a go, It would have been fun.
1684424213663.png

There was one loc out surfing well, the others? Not so well. Here are a few typical scenes. Before I could even crack my beer and get the camera out, I witnessed three way collision. Based on my pics, looks like kook chick and grom won the heat.
1684424376379.png

1684424655190.png
1684424728173.png

Too be honest, I had more fun here. This the "Keyhole to the Pacific", from the Pacific side.
1684424930033.png

Backside arch
1684424997910.png

There was tremendous wave action at divorce beach too!!!