*** Official 2023 Community Surf Journal ***

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I sur
Happy hour couple o days ago. Too many beers in to give it a go, It would have been fun.
View attachment 154478

There was one loc out surfing well, the others? Not so well. Here are a few typical scenes. Before I could even crack my beer and get the camera out, I witnessed three way collision. Based on my pics, looks like kook chick and grom won the heat.
View attachment 154479

View attachment 154481
View attachment 154482
I should've paddled out here this morning. Where I went was a lot of work and not much reward.

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
Heal up Aruka and Pete!

Another twenty minute sesh yesterday at the local point yesterday. Glassy and fun. Moderately crowded. Caught two waves. Starting to dig the efficiency of these really short sessions – though it's my only choice at the moment. Still riding the Rocket Fish out there.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
soo mushy at a reef break this AM, and to add insult to injury wind turned onshore halfway thru the session. thought it would be much better than it was, must have picked the wrong spot. oh well. at this point I'll sacrifice a little wave quality for a sparser crowd. Large Roberts quads in the EA Halfpint go perfect with that wide tail, give it an extra gear down the line

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Only had a @slipped_disc 20 min so couldn’t do the solid HH+ reef with 30-40 doods out. Went to another reef down the road that was smaller but only 7 guys out. Wanted to try the insanity as twin+trailer. Awesome. Only got 3-4 CH waves but one that lined up and let me do some bs hacks n wraps that felt real good. Could push hard off that lil swallow tail and twins.
While I was out, guys kept streaming out to the lineup- 8 in the last 5 min- but my time was up so took my last one almost all the way in before doing the low tide rock dance.

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
The May gray parted to sunny skies right when I got off work, went down to the beach and a small crowd of what must have been friends were all sitting too far north of a nice left set up so I paddled out and had the pick of the head high sets for an hour before the 4 PM crowd started to mob me, once I got triple o'd I grabbed one in. I was actually surfing well for the first time since my surgery and pneumonia combo platter of shittyness, but hopefully I am getting back to normal, rode the 5'9 Kenson Pleasure Pig. 2 more weeks and I am off for the summer, yewww.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
Thanks fellas. It was actually easier in a way when the knee was totally messed up and swollen because surfing was just so obviously out of the question. Also the weather was really bad so there was not a lot of temptation.

Lately its gotten nice and the knee feels good enough to do all of my everyday stuff. My driveway pops out onto the highway 101 right at my local break so I cant go anywhere without seeing the conditions. Last weekend was super warm and calm and a fresh swell running. Pretty brutal even though the sand bars arent amazing.

At least ive been able to work out every morning. Got an airbike that ive been using a lot. Lots of hip and ankle strengthening stuff. My legs are feeling as strong as ever. The knee isnt pain free through the whole range of motion yet but i think its still improving. Its just very slow.

I might start to do some paddles just to get a little of that fitness back.
mental state during my current injury drydock has gone from pissed to depressed to apathetic. not giving a fuk is the scariest