***Official 2022 Community Surf Journal***

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
clean micro lines on the midstrength. maybe waist high on the sets. managed the only stomach high set wave of the day and trimmed all the way in. beautiful day. can't wait to get back on my shorter boards next week with some swell. looking at a chilli middy maybe 6'0-6'2 for tiger sheds.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Tiny fun waves on the south side of Bakersfield pier. Rode my friend's crazy thick fish, like 3 1/2 inches or something, no dims on it. I was thinking about how it would be a good day to try a midstrength. Got some corners anyways. Told a guy to fvck off after he called me an @sshole for surfing past him? maybe doing a turn too close to him? while he was paddling for the shoulder of a little left I was riding. That was a weird one, probably should have just ignored him. Didn't ruin my fun though, he left, I got like 20 more clear green water 2 footers full of silver and blue baitfish :waving:

Tarab_ish

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 14, 2018
Same section of the same beachbreak, parked and headed out without checking it for a late afternoon/sunset surf.

Weds: Really clean and just fun/rippable sized, a bunch of inner bar shoulder high sets. Thought it was bigger so I had the good wave shortboard/step up, it's a very versatile board so it worked fine, but I had too much rail, it was too predictable and solid and never felt skatey; I couldn't push the tail at all.

Thurs: Took out an EPS quad fish thing. I got it off craigslist when I was heavier than I am now; it's wide and probably meant to be four inches shorter than me, but I got at my height. I hadn't surfed it since the summer doldrums. It was very clean out there, but mostly sub waist high. The board actually skated down the line pretty well and I did a few lil' whipper on the tiny closeout turns. I couldn't tell when I was fat and slow and it was June, but I'm pretty sure it's actually a good board for small waves. It feels corky but it goes good I think.

Fri: planned non-surf to get stuff done and because I thought it'd be worse. Looked at the cam right before sunset and was way better looking than either previous day. Lesson is I absolutely cannot read a forecast/buoys.

Last edited:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Met up with rice this morning. Waves actually looked kinda funky but we walked a bit and found an area with some small, fun peaks. Was about chest to shoulder high with head high sets. Didn't start off crowded but that got that way pretty fast. Paddle out wasn't anywhere near as difficult as I thought it might be as there wasn't really much in the way of a channel.

Some really fun lefts that wedged up, although I was just tantalizingly out of position on a few that would have been really nice to snag. Got a few fun rights too that ran down the line for a bit before closing out. Didn't end up surfing all that long, maybe a little less than 2 hours; got actually quite a lot of waves in that span. Probably would have stayed out longer but was crowded and wave quality wasn't as good, was good time to call it.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
I'm sure it's going to be one foot, and specifically because of this post, crazy crowded with a bunch of kooks, but I'll be at Morro rock tomorrow morning with a friend who is still learning. He rides a longboard and takes off going straight in front of people without looking. At first I thought "I should teach him surf etiquette" but then I realized he's quite an effective blocker. If we sit a few yards off of him and go left, it doesn't really matter how crowded it is, path cleared every time. :shrug:

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
The ocean was kind to me yesterday. Shorter period combo swell making for head high + rippable conditions. Got out during the late morning/early afternoon window after all the weekend frothers were coming in. Many waves came my way. Waves were peaking on the bar, then backing off for a second, allowing for a roll in to a rippable wall. C-list crew let me lord it over the prime takeoff spot for a while. Then some old-timers paddled out, and I chilled out while they took some choice ones. 6'0 Hess felt perfect.

Last edited:

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
Good surfing last few days varying locations and boards....nothing to waste digital space on.

This morning - head high sets at reef break, just me and my buddy for a couple hours. Funs steep drops. Offshore winds blinding sea spray, as I wear contacts doing pop-up with your eyes closed and only seeing when you standing on the board annoying and exhilarating. Fun wipeouts, likely feel it tonight or tomorrow. Awesome morning, glad that I put the 5' 9" Album Insanity in the truck. It worked nicely, medium quad set up. There were a few waves larger quads for more bite would have helped.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Well, that was rough. Yesterday was a little haggard after Friday golf with my wife, 3+ hours of basketball with my daughter, massive burrito, lots of fried chicken, and 10 high-octane beers throughout said day but got great rest last night, felt pretty decent this morning in hopes that swell took a jump up in size.

Well, it did but it was nasty. Solid OH, really lumpy, lots of closeouts, tons of current, and a lot of short period swell embedded within the rest of it. Joined the peanut gallery (crowded parking lot this AM too) and watched a few guys have nightmare paddle outs right in front. Saw what seemed to be semi-consistent blue water about 1/4 mile south from outside shorebreak to south of main lineup, figured it couldn't hurt to try. Savvy move as that rip moved fast, just had to deal with paddling through erratic ripchop but was out the back in less than 5 minutes. And then paddle across. Got a small left to start off and out the back no worries. And that was where the good times ended.

Rips were horrible. I had an insanely tough time getting into waves, just felt like was held in place and every drop might as well have been a no-paddle takeoff. And the lumps down the face did not help. I know nolibos saw me get absolutely drilled on one right where I really failed on that late drop. So much of the morning was spent dodging bombs, gauging whether or not you really wanted to risk a closeout (there were many) and have it be a session-ender because that paddle out back over the top of the sandbar was hell, or just paddling like mad and not being able to get into the wave with that current ripping up the face. Worst was throwing myself over a left way late in the barrel takeoff and some lump just stopped my board and I ate it hard - I am usually pretty good at making those too. Insult to injury was that it dragged me inside far enough, rest of set pushed me in and I had to paddle several hundreds of yards to the north to get around the corner of the sandbar.

There was actually a decent right wedge posting up before the wind flipped onshore with a few of us sitting on it. We thought we were all hunky-dory and a massive set came literally out of nowhere, broke 50 feet in front, ruining every single one of us. Brutal. Sneaky current had sucked us inwards just enough and then we all got dealt. It's a nasty sandbar for that reason. But after that horribleness, got a fun right that semi-barreled, stuck my arm in the face for a little of a view before it ended, flailed a whitewash rebound and was more than happy to go in.

I am laughing my ass off that all told, it was barely a 2 hour sesh. It felt a LOT longer. :roflmao: Having a much-needed coldie and washing away the aches before tackling the honey-do list.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Found some surf north of town in the chest to slightly OH range. Chunky and mostly closing out, but a few sections to work with. New ModChanPod worked well, but the conditions didn't give it a chance to shine. Found one shoulder to carve on and it felt good, but mostly it was just racing to get a floater or hit out of a close out. Still fun to be in the water. As a neighbor just said as I was walking the dog: "It's a great day in the 109."

-sh3

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
cold micro waves on the dank farts cabron. better than nothing.

Was on the boat yesterday and local temps were 57. Had a 55 degree reading off IB. Damn that's cold for down here.
Funny - water has been about 52 - 53 for a while up here. But mid-30s to low 40s air paddling out. Although definitely enough exertion to rip that hood off once out the back.

Sweltering.

I need another beer. :beer:

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
Met up with rice this morning. Waves actually looked kinda funky but we walked a bit and found an area with some small, fun peaks. Was about chest to shoulder high with head high sets. Didn't start off crowded but that got that way pretty fast. Paddle out wasn't anywhere near as difficult as I thought it might be as there wasn't really much in the way of a channel.

Some really fun lefts that wedged up, although I was just tantalizingly out of position on a few that would have been really nice to snag. Got a few fun rights too that ran down the line for a bit before closing out. Didn't end up surfing all that long, maybe a little less than 2 hours; got actually quite a lot of waves in that span. Probably would have stayed out longer but was crowded and wave quality wasn't as good, was good time to call it.
Fun to get together for a surf! I got a few fun ones but nothing great.

Reactions: Havoc and Kento

nolibos

OTF status
Oct 24, 2019
Central California
Sunday, watched the surf for about two hours; it didn't look worth it. There were a few guys that had hellish paddles and never made it out. Decided to try. Walked south a hundred yards or so and jumped in. I was pretty keyed up for a hard paddle so I brought my A game. Ended up getting lucky and made it easy. Got out in time to see Kento eat it hard on a big right. Paddled over to Kento after he ate, to try to get in his way and maybe shoulder hop some of his waves.
Managed to get four big left eventual close outs before my luck ran out and I got caught inside. Called it a day after ten minutes of battling my way back out only to get stomped by a few sets.
All in all a nice way to end a week that started out with a ankle to knee high grovel session on Tuesday.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Thursday - Dawn patrol before work. Cleanish and headhigh/overhead. Found out how shallow it was on late drop with shoulder bumping into the sand. Not lots of current and was able to get out easily enough after rides. Good times without much payment for rides ridden. While no great rides of note, was nice to feel relaxed.

Friday - Did "long lunch" on decaying swell. Dealt with crowd for a while then opted to drift to B peak which was fun until it wasn't....a rip peak that was good for one wave out of a set. Miss that and the rest were like trying to drop in on a shorebreak thumper. For me, seemed like there wasn't much rhyme or reason which wave would turn out the the good one unless you just went. A reasonable end to a small swell.

Saturday - Dawn patrol on a small day between swell. Found some decent sections here and there, but more like "fun exercise with chance of surfing".

Sunday - Ah yes, 8 ft at 15 seconds. On the Stretch cork board. Had some amazing moments of personal greatness and saw any number of far better riders making me feel like a piker. Best wave was after I backed out of wave because of the guy deeper kept paddling only to see him pull back 1/2 a second after I did. The next wave of the set was coming right to me, cold go left or right, but going right seemed to have less people inside that I would have to avoid. Ssaw a bunch of people streaming in from both sides thinking maybe I would pull back like the other guy, but I just put my head down and paddled harder, felt the lift, popped up, long drop, hard on the bottom turn, wave face starts to wedge up rather than wall, so the bottom turn turns to a a stalling carve, get lifted up, then release the rail and swoop down, then I'm in the saw-tooth wave of the rip, and ride is over. Sadly on the way back out, get mauled and shoved all the way back inside. When I get back out, nearly vomit from the exertion. But I calm down, then catch a few more. Give up the paddle against the current and drift for a while, finding that my muscles are kinda used up. Going into last wave mode, find a new peak, stroke into it, hear some shouts of GO! GO! GO! and airdrop into a beauty. Sadly my reactions were dulled and instead of a well executed recovery, dig the nose and go over the front, skipping slightly on my left shoulder/chest and spinning such that for a moment I am looking back into the tube, then straight up into the lip, then down the line (and I wonder if I can body surf this thing, and then there is impact of the lip on my lower back/ass/thighs. Way down, then yanked right back up, weightless, and blammo! Grab leg, find ankle, find leash, climb, where is the surface, lungs are burning, fizzy water not letting me push hard enough to get head above water, jumbled joints feel extra tired, sunlight, air, and then another whack from a following wave, just big chunky stewy whitewater. When I get back on the board, figure it is time to go, and belly board it to shore with a sinus headache and grit in my eyes.

Monday - Dawn patrol, more current, really feeling past few days of surfing. Decaying swell provides some intrigue sort of like rising swell: stay inside for so-so waves, or wait and paddle against current for the biggies. I do not find the good big ones, but they find me. Opting for quantity has its price. When it is time to go, score a mushy take off right at the edge of rip that gets bouncy, and just as I start to pull back, the wave starts to set up for the inside. Have enough momentum to get back into it, and then find a hollow lefthander that is bending into the rip...love me a good "right to end up going left" for the last wave.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I wanted an easy surf on Saturday but it didn't happen. Wife had plans, sick kid. just moved. Lots to do to stay busy.

Surfed about 8am. Pulled up to mid beach with a grovel mini glider board and a shortboard and was surprised by the size. Much bigger than I anticipated. Neither board felt like the right call, but I think I blew it with the Mini Glider.

Sought some refuge toward the northern end of the beach to escape the rag dolling and bigger consequences down the way. Paddled out what I thought was more manageable. Instead, I got flushed across the sandbar for 30 minutes, past the crab trap that was dragged into the impact zone, unable to duckdive a few bigger ones, then couldn't manage to get in position once I got out the back. An hour later, I took a closeout and went in. Had to detour home because of a marathon. My quick surf turned into an almost 3 hours and a testy wife at home. Fail.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I've had a pretty brutal case of shingles for about two weeks but things are finally getting better. Walked to the southern most wave in town with the wife and dogs and saw some surprisingly good waves for how small it was, blasting Santa Ana's around 11 am. It was our youngest pup's first time at the beach and she was terrified of the waves, trying to sprint up the beach any time one came through. It was entertaining watching her figure it out.