New stubby/alt DD options

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
RNF96 is just crazy good. Slop, barrels. Whatever the curves are it’s the golden ratio
Your glowing recommendation contributed to convincing me to give it a shot

oh, and mason ho

what fins you running?

Last edited:
Reactions: j_mac

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
Your glowing recommendation contributed to convincing me to give it a shot

oh, and mason ho

what fins you running?
I’ve settled on the Rasta set. But they’re on the smaller side of most twin+ sets.

What’s driving me nuts is I want to wave in a light speed, before Lost starts intro’n all the 22 models, and you can still find the RNF in shops/before my PU dies. But I swear every time I fondle one in person all the lightspeeds have slightly wider noses and less tail rocker. Every shop tells me I’m wrong, so 96% chance I’m making it up. Yet it just doesn’t pass the scientific under the arm test. Someone please confirm I’m crazy so I can just buy the eps version and move on?

Reactions: Aruka and j_mac

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
Got a 6'0 Happy Everyday - Ive only been able to test in in fairly junky big waves, but it paddles well and gets me into waves early. Also carries speed over the flat weird spots that OBSF has sometimes. Bringing it to Hawaii next week, should be intesting

Jun 14, 2019
I’ve settled on the Rasta set. But they’re on the smaller side of most twin+ sets.

What’s driving me nuts is I want to wave in a light speed, before Lost starts intro’n all the 22 models, and you can still find the RNF in shops/before my PU dies. But I swear every time I fondle one in person all the lightspeeds have slightly wider noses and less tail rocker. Every shop tells me I’m wrong, so 96% chance I’m making it up. Yet it just doesn’t pass the scientific under the arm test. Someone please confirm I’m crazy so I can just buy the eps version and move on?
They are all cut from the exact same file on the same machines.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW

I would love to reassure you but my experiences with Lost have me willing to believe you are very possibly right.

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
The reviews I read on Lightspeed were they were too flexy, like a wet noodle.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Never ridden an XTR but I kinda liked the lightspeed. Problem is the board was too big and it was a groveler so it's not like I was really in tune with flex.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015

tbh, I felt the same thing. checked out a bunch of RNF96's in shops before scoring the used one. the PUs definitely felt more refined/foiled in the nose and rail than the Lightspeeds. almost felt like I could go a size down if I were to buy a lightspeed version. you could go custom XTR, or even Varial?

I'm running Rasta twin+trailer too, and they worked great on the first session

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
tbh, I felt the same thing. checked out a bunch of RNF96's in shops before scoring the used one. the PUs definitely felt more refined/foiled in the nose and rail than the Lightspeeds. almost felt like I could go a size down if I were to buy a lightspeed version. you could go custom XTR, or even Varial?

Ok the tail rockers are definitely different. That‘s a lightspeed vs xtr. Nose rockers look about the same. 7D0156D3-3D93-48B6-BA81-C05427390E57.jpegD59D87F2-8D2E-46BE-BEEB-78CBCDF844AD.jpeg5263DF43-111B-4232-85B3-A93F94507602.jpegCEE460FD-4A6B-4816-BF1B-236BD6C40C35.jpeg9823222F-1DE6-41B6-809B-82137B7CBAA4.jpeg

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005

Do you think your mini ghost and RNF have any overlap? I was surprised how much I liked the mg on the rack. Not my usual old man type board.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Do you think your mini ghost and RNF have any overlap? I was surprised how much I liked the mg on the rack. Not my usual old man type board.
They probably do. I haven’t ridden either of them enough to push either end of the range yet.
Yours is XTR? Did you buy the Lightspeed just as a backup to it?

gratuitous updated quiver shot:
0EBFFEAF-4663-4846-8B1B-CB6D0DCD2F33.jpeg
and crappy rocker shot:
E14C2225-AF27-4A1A-951B-BC1B9A0278B7.jpeg

mini ghost looks like it has a bit more tail rocker than either rnf

Last edited:

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
My RNF96 journey has been a real odyssey. Bought a pu, loved it. Wanted a bullet proof version. Ordered xtr. FIVE months later Lost finally got the blank back to XTR so I punted the PU on CL. Picked up xtr. First surf just felt off. Got home stared at it. Finally noticed fin cluster didn’t look right. Measured and either xtr or lost messed it up and it was placed as a standard thruster, not the RNF twin+ Trailer placement. XTR was awesome, and said just ride it until we make you another one, no questions asked. But didnt want to wait 5 months. They said CI was their quickest turn around, so I panicked and went neckbeard 3. Month later still wanted RNF, so yolo’d a stock light speed. 3 hrs after getting home and putting a tail pad on it XTR calls…3hrs!!..……..”hey your board is done. Oh by the way we pulled favors and made you the RNF instead of the neckbeard and never told you…surprise”

I apologize to anyone who wasted 30 seconds reading that. But if you want to trade a 5’7 RNF lightspeed for a mini ghost you know where to go!