New stubby/alt DD options

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
I know it's boring , but sounds like you need a rusty Dwart.
Play with dims and Rusty should nail the volume .
Be sure to ask 4 skstey small wave quad placement and not 6-6 big fella charging g land quad placement.

Board works in everything and quite fun as a twin plus trailer or truster with AM2 side's + med to small center.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I’ll plan contrarian and say I dont like the lightbender in NCSD mush unless “on”. I like the plasmic wayyyy more.

lightbender is chunky up front but very foiled in the tail. works as a fish high lining and stuff but kind of sinks the tail a bit much surfing entirely off the back.

plasmic can be all back foot in small things if you want but redlines earlier.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I e-mailed Shey and he said the turnaround time on an Album is 6-8wks and a Mayhem is 8-10wks.

Reactions: oeste858

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I would've thought the mini ghost is the alt DD. Is it just too small now? Or wouldn't your RNF fit between the Bing and Mini Ghost?
But I like where you're heads at. By all means, you should try to eliminate any perceived gaps in quiver. LOL

1) AA Contemporary Fish would be my first suggestion. It's what you are describing. Love mine and want to add a Modern Fish (slightly more pulled in tail and apparently Akila's DD... in HI).
2) I really like the Lightbender as a HP fish. Sad to admit, I rarely reach for my TKF anymore since I got LB. I surf it WH-HH in south county reefs and I feel like it really suits my style.
3) agree with sdsrfr, Plasmic has more low-end in small/ weak/ soft surf than LB. I been impressed by its range in steeper sections too. I ride it thigh-high to HH, but short length means it's not gonna draw out turns on bigger faces as well. I could probably surf this 80% of SD days and be stoked. Been forcing myself to ride other boars.
4) Pyzel Gremlin. Great grovel and average wave boar. Also fun in chunky messy surf up to HH

DM me if you wanna try any of these. Dims should be close enough that you could get a feel for the designs.
:shaka:

Last edited:

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I would've thought the mini ghost is the alt DD. Is it just too small now? Or wouldn't your RNF fit between the Bing and Mini Ghost?
But I like where you're heads at. By all means, you should try to eliminate any perceived gaps in quiver. LOL

DM me if you wanna try any of these. Dims should be close enough that you could get a feel for the designs.
:shaka:
thx for the offer duuuu! :cheers: also hey man how many boards do you have in your grovel quiver again? :poke:

nah the mini ghost is almost 32 liters. I'm holding onto it for awhile. it made the HS feel chippy by comparison. I rode the HS most of the time at beachbreak in Nosara and I remember thinking to myself I wished I had a little more board (that's what she said)

in all honesty the waves I surf at home waist-chest I'm on the Bing or RNF most of the time. just want something sparky that covers a similar range with performance. I actually like the idea of having less boards - like 1 tri, 1 twin, 1 quad and be done with it - and one board that I surf the majority of the time.

anyways, thanks for humoring me & crowdfunding my decision-making process bros

Last edited:

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
thx for the offer duuuu! :cheers: also hey man how many boards do you have in your grovel quiver again? :poke:

nah the mini ghost is almost 32 liters. I'm holding onto it for awhile. it made the HS feel chippy by comparison. I rode the HS most of the time at beachbreak in Nosara and I remember thinking to myself I wished I had a little more board (that's what she said)

in all honesty the waves I surf at home waist-chest I'm on the Bing or RNF most of the time. just want something sparky that covers a similar range with performance. I actually like the idea of having less boards - like 1 tri, 1 twin, 1 quad and be done with it - and one board that I surf the majority of the time.

anyways, thanks for humoring me & crowdfunding my decision-making process bros
get an album plastic.

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
I would YOLO Varial or PU Twinsman - they seem available now - why wait!

I remain impressed with the 5' 6" Twinsman. It carries a lot of volume for its size without being overly thick. Keep the size on the lower end to maintain performance. For me, the outline, foam distribution, volume forward, fin placement, and narrower tail allow it to work in a range of conditions. After sizing this board correctly, it performs brillantly. For most conditions, it is the board that I want in the truck.

After surfing it now for a number of sessions, I would like a modified version of the 5' 7" Plasmic EAST with either a narrower tail outline or size down to reduce the overall outline. In its current configuration, it is a bit too stable, and too fast with the wider tail a bit harder to maneuver. It gets the job in its current form for certain conditions and good cheater board that's not overly bloasted, but I feel slimming it down a bit more would bring out the best in this board. The OG Plasmic is a blast, but EAST allows for more range. This would be my recommendation for a custom. With that said and as I started to write this earlier and with money in my pocket from a recent board sale, I took my own advice and bought a 5' 5" Plasmic EAST :)!

Last edited:

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I would YOLO Varial or PU Twinsman - they seem available now - why wait!

I remain impressed with the 5' 6" Twinsman. It carries a lot of volume for its size without being overly thick. Keep the size on the lower end to maintain performance. For me, the outline, foam distribution, volume forward, fin placement, and narrower tail allow it to work in a range of conditions. After sizing this board correctly, it performs brillantly. For most conditions, it is the board that I want in the truck.

After surfing it now for a number of sessions, I would like a modified version of the 5' 7" Plasmic EAST with either a narrower tail outline or size down to reduce the overall outline. In its current configuration, it is a bit too stable, and too fast with the wider tail a bit harder to maneuver. It gets the job in its current form for certain conditions and good cheater board that's not overly bloasted, but I feel slimming it down a bit more would bring out the best in this board. The OG Plasmic is a blast, but EAST allows for more range. This would be my recommendation for a custom. With that said and as I started to write this earlier and with money in my pocket from a recent board sale, I took my own advice and bought a 5' 5" Plasmic EAST :)!
hah truth be told, while I had my board listed & was waiting for it to sell, there was a 5'8 Varial twinsman on CL and the pu one at Bird rock surf shop I was eyeing, but they both got snatched up

Reactions: j_mac

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
As fun as the Twinsman is in good surf, it's equally meh in sub waist high Southern California type waves IMO. I find it not to have the immediate get up and go as my other boards that are a liter or two less.

Chest high and above, I love it.

Reactions: j_mac and tedshred5

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
As fun as the Twinsman is in good surf, it's equally meh in sub waist high Southern California type waves IMO. I find it not to have the immediate get up and go as my other boards that are a liter or two less.

fair enough. below waist-high is groveler or minisim or glider for me... and lowered expectations. LOL

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California

I wonder if this is more of a twin characteristic? I've never had a twin that was quicker out of the gate than a thruster. Could just be the twins I've tried though.

Reactions: sdsrfr and j_mac

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I wonder if this is more of a twin characteristic? I've never had a twin that was quicker out of the gate than a thruster. Could just be the twins I've tried though.
Hmm. Is this alleviated in your quad-twin asym Burches?

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
My two current twins:alpha omega and it2win are way fazter get go but AO does not like mush and it2win is a mid. I think my quads are faster for sure any wave including grovel then thruster.

Reactions: j_mac and jkb