Never forget…

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
It's ok to admit you were wrong
About what?

I agree there was over reactions.

We disagree about under reactions but when I asked if you wanted to bet you begged off.

My thing with the Never forgetters is they are engaged in a unhealthy obsession with a past trauma and run risk of patholgizing their trauma.

I think some people are energized by playing the victim.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
YES!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to the club!!!!!

:applause2:

The mental and physical health crisis in this country has been going on for decades and is SO much more deadly than COVID in the long run. Like orders of magnitude more deadly.

Never forget that we wasted trillions on essentially worthless lockdowns and mask mandates for the COVID blip while ignoring a much more serious and persistent problem
Check out Haidt's new book.

It's not covid. IT's the phones.

Covid was a blip when it came to messing up people's brains.

The trend started in 2012.

You guys are committing a post hoc fallacy as you pathlogize your trauma..

• Love
Reactions: afoaf

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
About what?

I agree there was over reactions.

We disagree about under reactions but when I asked if you wanted to bet you begged off.

My thing with the Never forgetters is they are engaged in a unhealthy obsession with a past trauma and run risk of patholgizing their trauma.

I think some people are energized by playing the victim.
Here's where you're wrong

There's no trauma or vicitim-playing

This is simply sore-winner dunking

• Love
Reactions: grapedrink

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
So Haidt, who does this for a living, is wrong and you are right?
I never said he's wrong

It's inarguable that modern society in general has damaged children, minimizing the damage done by the unneeded reaction to the sniffles is a strawman by some guy that you are falling into the expertise trap for

That being said, psychology is quackery

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
It's inarguable that modern society in general has damaged children, minimizing the damage done by the unneeded reaction to the sniffles is a strawman by some guy that you are falling into the expertise trap for
Haidt's exact point is that the rush to blame Covid for young people's mental health problem ignores both the years-long increase in those problems prior to Covid and new evidence that any Covid-induced mental health issues are (mostly) essentially temporary. He has been studying mental health issues of young people for decades and knows his sh!t.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Haidt's exact point is that the rush to blame Covid for young people's mental health problem ignores both the years-long increase in those problems prior to Covid and new evidence that any Covid-induced mental health issues are (mostly) essentially temporary. He has been studying mental health issues of young people for decades and knows his sh!t.
He's in denial and protect mode

He's looking to support a foregone conclusion

• Haha

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
oh great. so we spent 6 trillion dollars to make peoples physical and mental health worse but it was only temporarily worse.

what a fucking win that was!

:roflmao:

• Love
Reactions: Ifallalot

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
That's the thing. Haidt isn't presenting evidence. He's deflecting
lets not forget strawmanning

i don't recall anyone here on this thread ever making the claim that *all* mental health issues are due to the idiotic covid lockdowns and mandates

seems to me like the claim here has been to never forget that the covid insanity made mental health problems worse

because it did

• Love
Reactions: Ifallalot
Mar 25, 2024
The closing of schools during Covid was a disaster. In Portland, teacher unions wanted to be put in the front of the line to receive Covid shots as a condition to going back to work and opening schools. Then when they got their shots, they came up with other reasons to keep schools closed. The pandemic effects on education and the 2 year online solution has hurt our students in a way that we may never get back. Curriculums have been dumbed down and grades have been inflated as a way to compensate for their poor handling of these issues. In the mean time our kids and our nation continues to fall behind. There is a good article that Mercer Publishing put out on Gifted Education and meeting these kids needs due to the pandemic. If truly gifted kids are having issues from this I can only imagine what non gifted and underserved children are dealing with.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach

Dr Phil clowning The View hosts hard :roflmao: According to Whoopi, at-risk children were better off being stuck at home with their abusers instead of being at school where mandatory reporters and other support services can help them.

It's truly amazing how deeply embedded these bad ideas and narratives are :rolleyes: